Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

13 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Carbonara

I still have some tweaking to do on this.  Seems so simple, but I still don't have it quite right.  I'm at a "pretty good, not great" level right now.

Started with some fresh pancetta which ended up being really rich.  I think the stuff I bought was pretty stout and I probably used a little too much.  Might try it with guanciale next time.

yjNPkD.jpg

Cubed that up using about half of what's pictured above.  Probably could have gone with about 1/4 or 1/3 and the cubes could have been a little smaller.  Ratios in the end were definitely a little off.  Little too heavy on the meat regardless of what kind.

nHN3Us.jpg

Only other ingredients are EVOO, eggs, pepper, pasta and parmigiano reggiano.  Went with 2 eggs and one egg yolk.  Again, that ratio didn't end up perfect, was a little too eggy for my liking.  Whisked them together with some parmigiano reggiano and pepper to create the sauce.

yVrPaS.jpg

Get the pancetta browning in a few tablespoons of EVOO while the pasta cooks.

HMpPxF.jpg

Good and browned up and heat reduced.

AdSAIw.jpg

Add pasta and toss together with the pancetta.  I used bucatini because I like it, but any long skinny noodle will do.  Again, for ratio purposes, I think this needed about double the noodles.  I used a half a package and I think it needed the whole box with the amount of egg and pancetta I had.

I3O4QD.jpg

Turn the heat off (this is probably the most important thing I've learned so far) and add a scoop of pasta water and the egg mixture.  In the past, I've kept the heat up and ended up with somewhat of a scrambled egg mixture.  Reducing the heat makes it melt together much better for the creamy substance you're looking for.

ELQjuh.jpg

Finished with a little more freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and pepper (more pepper wasn't necessary).

MDmQc1.jpg

To summarize (and for my future reference), this served 2 people and should probably have served about 4.  Needed double the noodles to serve 4 or half the meat and sauce to serve 2.  End result was really rich and cutting down eggs and pancetta or increasing bucatini should have taken care of this.

Looks awesome.  In my experience, cooking the pancetta for a bit longer to brown and crisp it up some more helps cut down on the salt and richness.  

• Like 2

Proper yard-bird, either baked, grilled, or smoked, is a beautiful thing.  Looks like you separated the skin and stuffed with butter herbs under, then turned up the heat to get that amazing crisp skin without drying out the meat?  Brine as well?

Well done sir.  

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Proper yard-bird, either baked, grilled, or smoked, is a beautiful thing.  Looks like you separated the skin and stuffed with butter herbs under, then turned up the heat to get that amazing crisp skin without drying out the meat?  Brine as well?

Well done sir.  

key to avoiding steaming/drying out the meat is to properly truss the bird tight.

thyme, salt, pepper. 

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/thomas-kellers-perfect-oven-roasted-chicken#recipe-chef-thomas-kellers-ovenroasted-chicken

23 minutes ago, sidis said:

key to avoiding steaming/drying out the meat is to properly truss the bird tight.

thyme, salt, pepper. 

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/thomas-kellers-perfect-oven-roasted-chicken#recipe-chef-thomas-kellers-ovenroasted-chicken

Reduce the heat to 400°F and roast for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, or until the temperature registers 160°F in the meatiest portions of the bird—the thighs, and under the breast where the thigh meets the breast—and the juices run clear where the leg joint meets the thigh. If necessary, return the bird to the oven for more roasting; check it every 5 minutes.

Where having a Thermapen pays dividends.  Love that thing.  Can get such a quick & accurate reading.   

1 hour ago, huge said:

I have a bigass cast iron, I want to know more

looks like mark bittman method which is to preheat the pan in a 500 degree so that it cooks the thighs faster than the breasts.  oil, salt, and pepper the chicken, roast at 500 for 15, then turn down to 350 until done. 

https://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/the-minimalist-simplest-roast-chicken/

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Chicken chili Verde from serious eats.

About the only thing I do different is I throw the peppers and tomatillos on a hot Komodo to get some char and a little smoke on them before putting them into the instant pot. Do the same with the chicken.

About as easy a meal as you can make. 

• Like 3

Orecchiette with Pork Sausage and Broccoli

This one is just so damn easy and really really good...and I don't even like broccoli.  It's just one of those magical combinations of flavors that all come together perfectly for whatever reason.  Probably science or some shit?

Found some fresh orecchiette so I used that this time, but oddly, I found out I actually prefer the dry (boxed) orecchiette over the fresh which I wouldn't normally say.  Still damn good though.

Lots of variations to this, but here's what I do and it gets rave reviews every damn time.

Basic ingredients:  Orecchiette Pasta (one package), Italian Sausage (one pound), Broccoli (2 heads), Garlic (a few cloves), EVOO, Salt, Red Pepper Flakes, Parmigiano Reggiano

upbjIi.jpg

A few tablespoons of EVOO and start cooking that broccoli down until it starts to get a little wilty but keeps that bright green color.  I add a little salt here too.  Remember to turn your hood fan on because cooked broccoli fucking stinks.

NqenEo.jpg

Remove the broccoli and set it aside.  In the same pan, brown up some Italian sausage.  You can use just about anything here.  My local Italian market has ground hot or mild (I went with mild because my kid is a wimp when it comes to spicy).  You can also just remove the casing from some links and go that route.

XyeDL9.jpg

Once that's good and brown, add back in the broccoli, a few cloves of thinly sliced (or minced) garlic and start mixing it up.  I would normally also add red pepper flakes at this point, but again, the kid.

IVU5Gp.jpg

Add cooked pasta.

QusiI1.jpg

Mix it all together with a scoop of the pasta water and a few tablespoons (half a cup or so) of parmigiano reggiano.

1gd71t.jpg

Serve and finish with a little more parmigiano reggiano (and I did the red pepper flakes at this point but it should have been in earlier).

IFNgQ5.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 2 corned beefs yesterday.  I'll cook one on Wednesday for some late corned beef and cabbage (w/ plenty of leftover for hash).  The other will get a dry rub and rest in the fridge for 1-2 days next week before I smoke it into a pastrami.  Homemade pastrami kicks all kinds of ass.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

IMG-0128.jpg

St. Patrick's Day corned beef.   did a whole brisket for 6 days in a Guinness brine with homemade pickling spice.  ruebens and corned beef hash this week

Yeah, it moved.  

That bread (and it goes without saying the corned beef, too) looks amazing; home made?

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Yeah, it moved.  

That bread (and it goes without saying the corned beef, too) looks amazing; home made?

made soda bread and homemade mustard a couple years ago - this year, I got the bread and the mustard (whole grain with Irish stout) at CM.

**did the picture in my previous post disappear?  or is that just on my end?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

made soda bread and homemade mustard a couple years ago - this year, I got the bread and the mustard (whole grain with Irish stout) at CM.

**did the picture in my previous post disappear?  or is that just on my end?

I can't see it on my Mac and I never could see it

Spaghetti with Meat Sauce

Continuing this Italian kick I'm on, which probably won't end anytime soon.  According to my biggest critics, and by that I mean family, this is one of the best things I've ever made.

Ingredients: 1-2 carrots, 2-3 cloves garlic, a few sprigs thyme, a few sprigs basil, half an onion, 1 pound can of peeled tomatoes, EVOO, salt, one whole package of spaghetti pasta, and about half a package of whatever kind of ground meat you want - I went with turkey because it's really mild and I was going for a more light, fresh taste.bHYn89.jpg

Little bit of prep work - grated carrots, chopped onion, thyme removed from stems (what a fucking beating - there has to be a better way than what I did), chopped basil and thinly sliced garlic (or minced - whatever you prefer).

Not pictured are the tomatoes after getting them all squished up with my hands.  I saw someone do it that way once rather than a food processor or mixer as it keeps the tomatoes a little more rustic feeling and allows you to control how big of chunks you want.

Nr73oM.jpg

Start sweating the onions and carrots down in a few table spoons of EVOO.

8hjdhh.jpg

Once it's looking pretty wilted, add ground meat.

32tLg1.jpg

Once your ground meat is about half way brown, add thyme, basil and garlic.

6fORYG.jpg

Get it all the way cooked to where it starts feeling like it's coming together as one cohesive concoction.

AJ1xMy.jpg

Add the canned tomatoes after squishing them up with your hands and a few tablespoons of salt and mix it all together.  It will be really saucy at this point.

7SbfqR.jpg

Let it simmer for about 30 mins (good time to start your water boiling to cook your pasta).  It becomes much less saucy and the flavors really begin to build throughout this process.  This was almost like a paste once simmered down for 30 mins.

cSf1B0.jpg

Add al dente pasta that you remove from salted water about a minute before the directions tell you to pull it.  Start mixing that together and if you need it a little more saucy, add a ladle or two of the pasta water.  It's magically just the right amount of starchy and salty.  I also add a few fresh leaves of basil and couple more splashes of raw EVOO to brighten it up a little at this point.

GTmDkC.jpg

Find some big old Italian bowl that looks like it came from grandma (and that Surly is sure to bust your balls about) to serve it in.

4IrkbC.jpg

Plate with some fresh grated parmigiano reggiano, which I now keep about a 1 pound block of on hand at all times because it takes just about everything to 11.  Enjoy.

SZfU1K.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Continuing this Italian kick I'm on, which probably won't end anytime soon.  According to my biggest critics, and by that I mean family, this is one of the best things I've ever made.

Ingredients: 1-2 carrots, 2-3 cloves garlic, a few sprigs thyme, a few sprigs basil, half an onion, 1 pound can of peeled tomatoes, EVOO, salt, one whole package of spaghetti pasta, and about half a package of whatever kind of ground meat you want - I went with turkey because it's really mild and I was going for a more light, fresh taste.bHYn89.jpg

Little bit of prep work - grated carrots, chopped onion, thyme removed from stems (what a fucking beating - there has to be a better way than what I did), chopped basil and thinly sliced garlic (or minced - whatever you prefer).

Not pictured are the tomatoes after getting them all squished up with my hands.  I saw someone do it that way once rather than a food processor or mixer as it keeps the tomatoes a little more rustic feeling and allows you to control how big of chunks you want.

Nr73oM.jpg

8hjdhh.jpg

32tLg1.jpg

6fORYG.jpg

Get it all the way cooked to where it starts feeling like it's coming together as one cohesive concoction.

AJ1xMy.jpg

Add the canned tomatoes after squishing them up with your hands and a few tablespoons of salt and mix it all together.  It will be really saucy at this point.

7SbfqR.jpg

Let it simmer for about 30 mins (good time to start your water boiling to cook your pasta).  It becomes much less saucy and the flavors really begin to build throughout this process.  This was almost like a paste once simmered down for 30 mins.

cSf1B0.jpg

Add al dente pasta that you remove from salted water about a minute before the directions tell you to pull it.  Start mixing that together and if you need it a little more saucy, add a ladle or two of the pasta water.  It's magically just the right amount of starchy and salty.  I also add a few fresh leaves of basil and couple more splashes of raw EVOO to brighten it up a little at this point.

GTmDkC.jpg

Find some big old Italian bowl that looks like it came from grandma (and that Surly is sure to bust your balls about) to serve it in.

4IrkbC.jpg

Plate with some fresh grated parmigiano reggiano, which I now keep about a 1 pound block of on hand at all times because it takes just about everything to 11.  Enjoy.

SZfU1K.jpg

Let me know if you ever make too much and need help eating

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Nr73oM.jpg

8hjdhh.jpg

32tLg1.jpg

6fORYG.jpg

AJ1xMy.jpg

7SbfqR.jpg

cSf1B0.jpg

GTmDkC.jpg

4IrkbC.jpg

SZfU1K.jpg

That looks awesome as hell, but go ahead and splurge on some real wine glasses some day.

3 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Your grandma only gave you one bowl?

Neah, I got a whole set but they're all big serving bowls.  The white one is the smaller individual bowls I served it into.  Picture is deceiving...the Italian one probably holds 6-8 servings.  The white one holds one.