Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Me: wife, what do you want for Mother’s Day?

Her: Steaks the way you cook them, filets.

Me: say no more.

Reverse seared. Finished them on my chimney starter.

33bec31671d53babc45701b0e3097814.jpg

7dd86c74bce7bda0018b924a7767bf58.jpg

Rare/medium rare in-spite of bad lighting in pic.

And some roasted mini-reds and asparagus to go with a bottle of caymus we just popped.

• Like 3

IMG_CM1223_zpsp5dkwziq.jpg

chicken getting ready to go in the cast iron after marinating in homemade chili oil for 48 hours (jalapenos, serranos, and hot, sweet, and smoked paprika and lemons)

IMG_CD1227_zpss7ozjmsa.jpg

chicken diavola

IMG_AS1230_zpsprht4ygk.jpg

broiled asparagus with burrata and gremolata

IMG_LB1232_zps3czrqkin.jpg

pistachio lemon shortbread bars with sea salt and powdered sugar 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, threesheets said:

I'm not seeing any beans.  Or any paella.

Haha yeah...on my phone it looked like paella with beans.  I figured it wasn't paella and I was just being a smartass.  Now on my laptop I see that it's neither nor.

I'm blaming the new site.

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Hey Jack - how did you make that oil specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 cup olive oil

2 diced jalapenos

2 diced serranos

2 tablespoons paprika (i used a combination of the 3 kinds)

1 -2 teaspoons black pepper

steep all of the ingredients in the olive oil on the stove on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, then let it sit overnight/24 hours before straining and then pouring over chicken (or whatever else) along with 2 sliced lemons for marinating.  I used a big ziploc

if i was doing it again, i would have left in the jalapeno and serrano seeds and added them to the oil - i removed those before adding to the oil - and i would have used more hot paprika and less of the sweet and smoked than i did.  the bird was spicy and totally delicious, but it was not nearly as hot as i expected it to be - i was going for pretty darn hot

• Like 1

Did a little surf and turf over the weekend. Was too drunk to get after pics of the steak, but it turned out med rare and was delicious. Ribeye and oysters on the grill, sautéed mushrooms and grilled green onions as a side with a caprese salad to start. Split both w a chick, drank a ton of wine and hammered her vag

Good night overall

f28118d5b00304c78c562d8fe70d43f4.jpg

1cd7ffa97b096a1b543e16600ed7405f.jpg

6eb28b61557c873db7b32a83f3d805aa.jpg

2ab1e3b4d16634503b7a6fbf89016a35.jpg

6ac0a7254a9c72613975b47c8c0bcc9d.jpg

• Like 6

1 cup olive oil
2 diced jalapenos
2 diced serranos
2 tablespoons paprika (i used a combination of the 3 kinds)
1 -2 teaspoons black pepper
steep all of the ingredients in the olive oil on the stove on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, then let it sit overnight/24 hours before straining and then pouring over chicken (or whatever else) along with 2 sliced lemons for marinating.  I used a big ziploc
if i was doing it again, i would have left in the jalapeno and serrano seeds and added them to the oil - i removed those before adding to the oil - and i would have used more hot paprika and less of the sweet and smoked than i did.  the bird was spicy and totally delicious, but it was not nearly as hot as i expected it to be - i was going for pretty darn hot

Thanks. Gonna try and make this tomorrow with thighs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother's Day Brunch.  Eggs Benedict (toasted english muffins, fried honey-baked ham, poached eggs, cayenne hollandaise sauce, sharp cheddar and fresh black pepper) with mimosas.

41251920825_9e6694e819_b.jpg

27281793567_4404f573cb_b.jpg

Would make more often, but hollandaise sauce is a PITA on a weekend morning.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

My uncle made some stupid quick last Sunday in his blendtech that was actually pretty damn good

Yeah I’m too lazy to look for it and I can’t remember because it’s been a while, but there’s a super easy hollandaise recipe out there somewhere that’s pretty damn tasty.  Something with a blender, lemon juice, egg something and some kind of slow pour into the blender.

I've always intended to try this one but have never gotten around to it. 

"The easiest way to get perfect Hollandaise sauce is to use a blender. This recipe has all the same ingredients as the classic, but no double boiler and no chance of the sauce separating. I love the lemony flavor on fresh steamed asparagus!"
Ingredients
3 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 dash hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco(TM))
1/2 cup butter

Directions
  1. In the container of a blender, combine the egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Cover, and blend for about 5 seconds.
  2. Place the butter in a glass measuring cup. Heat butter in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until completely melted and hot. Set the blender on high speed, and pour the butter into the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream. It should thicken almost immediately. Keep the sauce warm until serving by placing the blender container in a pan of hot tap water.
  • Fuck You 1

On 5/16/2018 at 12:36 PM, Hank_Hill said:

My uncle made some stupid quick last Sunday in his blendtech that was actually pretty damn good

Recipe

I did this one Sunday for my mother in law along with some crab cakes/poached eggs.  It was ridiculously easy and took 30 seconds longer than it takes to melt the butter.  One recipe was enough for 12 eggs.

Edited by Kringelbert Fishtybuns
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 3:48 PM, solamente73 said:

I haven't figured out how to comment on "likes" (don't think we can, yet) so I'll just say here that this thread picked up right where the other left off.  Nice work, y'all!

Easter lamb, roasted in BGE:

26320592607_36b22b4427_c.jpg

40297579465_72512c6e04_c.jpg

What did you use for your crust? Looks very similar to my dads way of cooking which is Dijon mustard herbs and possibly something else I can’t remember. I have a rack I’ll be cooking soon and intend to get something along the lines of what you’ve got there. 

2aanj41.jpg

25i2dj4.jpg

Anniversary dinner. Lots coming up in the next month so we decided to take it easy at home tonight. Perhaps the best filets I’ve ever cooked - wish they had been thicker rather than wide but can’t really complain too much. Cast iron FTW

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

2aanj41.jpg

25i2dj4.jpg

Anniversary dinner. Lots coming up in the next month so we decided to take it easy at home tonight. Perhaps the best filets I’ve ever cooked - wish they had been thicker rather than wide but can’t really complain too much. Cast iron FTW

Looks excellent. I surmise from your sideways pictures and from your plates that you and the missus are celebrating your 50th anniversary together. Quite an achievement.

• Like 2

Nah man...little bit of money makes all of us Surly bastards seem poor.  First of all, pics aren’t sideways for me.  B) those champagne glasses are pretty badass...way too badass for an old.  And #4 the plates aren’t thaaaat old man.  Okay they’re a little bit old man.  But he was trying to make the “happy wife happy life” thing happen.  So props to him and I’m going with 3-5 year anniversary but round two for one or both of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Nah man...little bit of money makes all of us Surly bastards seem poor.  First of all, pics aren’t sideways for me.  B) those champagne glasses are pretty badass...way too badass for an old.  And #4 the plates aren’t thaaaat old man.  Okay they’re a little bit old man.  But he was trying to make the “happy wife happy life” thing happen.  So props to him and I’m going with 3-5 year anniversary but round two for one or both of them.

Wife set the table, I just cook. Happy wife, yadda yadda you nailed that. Pretty spot on analysis: 3 year anniversary but just our first go at. Just a young gun trying to live the dream, man. 

And definitely not an old. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

On 5/23/2018 at 9:42 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

What did you use for your crust? Looks very similar to my dads way of cooking which is Dijon mustard herbs and possibly something else I can’t remember. I have a rack I’ll be cooking soon and intend to get something along the lines of what you’ve got there. 

Garlic basil pesto, more or less.  Friends of ours introduced us to the concept; we loved their version on chops, and we kicked it up a notch by roasting racks and using our own basil.  Fresh basil is just hard to beat.

EDIT:  that anniversary dinner looks great.  Are you Brat's son?  If so, progress indicates that your kids will be able to post pics correctly.

Edited by solamente73