Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

23 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Browned and then braised these chicken legs in a “red gravy” sauce. Recipe from a coworkers grandma in Louisiana.

Served with roasted Brussel sprouts, angel hair pasta with the red gravy over it and of course garlic bread.

8fa646677da862b5a934d8ae7c313c1e.jpg

4f839253cd8e2adf08d1cbc4a06bb2ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. I translated from Cajun to English and typed up the recipe like us normal folks would follow.  (Original recipe was hand written, out of order and had side notes all over). 

Cock Spaghetti

2 containers each of “seasoning” =  trinity (diced onions, diced celery and diced bell peppers). 

4 large 32 oz cans of Chicken Broth

7 small cans of Contadina tomato paste

1 large can of crushed tomatoes

1 16oz container of sliced mushrooms.

14-15 chicken legs

1 cup red wine

1 can of Coke

Cajun Land Seasoning (or whatever you got.  I used Chupacabra season all because it is awesome)

Italian Seasoning

Salt & Pepper

1. In a large stock pot, sauté veggies in olive oil on medium high heat. 

2. Lower heat to medium .  Add paste and brown it with the veggies.  Keep stirring.  (30 min)

3. Lower to medium low heat and add broth and crushed tomatoes. 

4. Add liberal amounts of Italian seasoning and season all over the top of the pot.  Add 1 tbl spoon Black pepper.

5.  Cook red gravy for two hours.  Stir occasionally

6. After cooking for two hours, add can of coke and cup of red wine.  Cook three more hours.  Drink wine.  Stir occasionally. 

7. Meanwhile, season chicken legs with season all and pepper. Maybe a little salt.  Let sit 30-45 min.

8. Brown chicken legs all over.  45 min before the gravy is done, add chicken legs to the gravy and submerge.

9. Also 45 min before gravy is done, add sliced mushrooms. 

Notes:  This makes A LOT of food.   For normal family of 4-5, you can cut recipe in half.  Leftover chicken is amazing.  Also, despite it being called Cock Spaghetti, the recipe actually doesn’t mention any pasta at all.  We served the red gravy over angel hair pasta with the chicken on the side and garlic bread.  The red gravy is dark, rich and full of good acidity. 

• Like 2

I'll post that in plain text for anyone else that uses dark mode. 

Cook Spaghetti

2 containers each of “seasoning” =  trinity (diced onions, diced celery and diced bell peppers). 

4 large 32 oz cans of Chicken Broth

7 small cans of Contadina tomato paste

1 large can of crushed tomatoes

1 16oz container of sliced mushrooms.

14-15 chicken legs

1 cup red wine

1 can of Coke

Cajun Land Seasoning (or whatever you got.  I used Chupacabra season all because it is awesome)

Italian Seasoning

Salt & Pepper

1. In a large stock pot, sauté veggies in olive oil on medium high heat. 

2. Lower heat to medium .  Add paste and brown it with the veggies.  Keep stirring.  (30 min)

3. Lower to medium low heat and add broth and crushed tomatoes. 

4. Add liberal amounts of Italian seasoning and season all over the top of the pot.  Add 1 tbl spoon Black pepper.

5. Cook red gravy for two hours.  Stir occasionally

6. After cooking for two hours, add can of coke and cup of red wine.  Cook three more hours.  Drink wine.  Stir occasionally. 

7. Meanwhile, season chicken legs with season all and pepper. Maybe a little salt.  Let sit 30-45 min.

8. Brown chicken legs all over.  45 min before the gravy is done, add chicken legs to the gravy and submerge.

9. Also 45 min before gravy is done, add sliced mushrooms. 

Notes:  This makes A LOT of food.   For normal family of 4-5, you can cut recipe in half.  Leftover chicken is amazing.  Also, despite it being called Cock Spaghetti, the recipe actually doesn’t mention any pasta at all.  We served the red gravy over angel hair pasta with the chicken on the side and garlic bread.  The red gravy is dark, rich and full of good acidity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Yeah, I edited that, doubt he has even realized it yet. 

That's funny, I am going to need to see a picture of the hand written recipe to determine if it is really called "Cock Spaghetti" or if the first step is "cook Spaghetti" - in his comments at the end he calls it out again as "cock Spaghetti" but then says it does not mention cooking pasta, so I am guessing your edit is correct. 

That's funny, I am going to need to see a picture of the hand written recipe to determine if it is really called "Cock Spaghetti" or if the first step is "cook Spaghetti" - in his comments at the end he calls it out again as "cock Spaghetti" but then says it does not mention cooking pasta, so I am guessing your edit is correct. 

It’s called Cock Spaghetti. As in chicken.

On a plane but will take pic when I get back.

23 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Thanks.  Yep, that's the long version.

12 minutes ago, Spoosner said:

My bad.  Probably not too many mentions of orecchiette on here.

tl;dr version:

1)  Cook some broccoli in some olive oil.  Remove from pan and set it aside.

2)  In that same pan, brown some Italian sausage with some garlic, (maybe) some onion, (maybe) some red pepper flakes.

3)  In another pot, cook some orecchiette per the directions on whatever box of it you get.

4)  Add the strained pasta and broccoli into the pan with the sausage.

5)  Add a scoop or 2 of the pasta water and some parmigiano reggiano.  Mix and serve.

Just now, Landomatic said:

per the directions on whatever box of it you get.

my suggestion is use way less water than the box says - you want just enough water to cover the pasta and not much more.*  give it a few good stirs at the start to prevent sticking.  remove pasta from the water 1 or 2 minutes earlier than the box says.  this leads to much starchier water with much better saucing power when you add it in and finish cooking pasta in the sauce. 

*kenji lopez-alt and alton brown use this method.  alton starts with cold water though you have to keep checking for doneness rather than relying on the clock to get you close. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

my suggestion is use way less water than the box says - you want just enough water to cover the pasta and not much more.*  give it a few good stirs at the start to prevent sticking.  remove pasta from the water 1 or 2 minutes earlier than the box says.  this leads to much starchier water with much better saucing power when you add it in and finish cooking pasta in the sauce. 

*kenji lopez-alt and alton brown use this method.  alton starts with cold water though you have to keep checking for doneness rather than relying on the clock to get you close. 

All of this is correct, but is really just fine-tuning when trying to perfect it.  For the sake of keeping it simple, following the box directions is fine.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever measured my pasta water once in my life.  But I do subscribe to the less is better thought-process, especially if you're going to use some of the water for the sauce (which is almost always).  That's just common sense...less water means less watered down saucing power.  However, be careful not to go to far with it.  Pasta expands more than one may think and if you short the water too much, you can end up with a mess.

As far as when the box says to remove the pasta, I always check for doneness before I pull it as there is no rule that applies to every kind of pasta.  I set my timer for 2 minutes before the box says to pull it (stirring it a few times in between) then start testing it from there until it's done where I want it.  Completely varies by brand and noodle.  It's usually done 2 minutes before the box says (especially when you factor that it will cook more once you add it to the sauce), but I've had it actually take up to 4 minutes longer than the box says too, although that's really rare.

Anyway, that's all just splitting hairs type stuff.  As I said, that orecchiette recipe can be easily made by any rube in any kitchen with basic ingredients and get about a 9/10 end result every time, without tricking it up or overthinking it too much.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, elfenix said:

Yep.  The cold water method works very well, and gives you wonderfully starchy water to use with your sauce.  

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

What is this cold water method yall are speaking of?

Brown went over it in a Good Eats: Reloaded episode Use Your Noodle (and the cacio e pepe method he gave in the ep works well). You start the pasta in a pan of cold water, just enough to cover the pasta by an inch or so.  Use a saute or fry pan or a long noodle like spaghetti or bucatini, or a pot for short ones like bowtie, ziti, etc.  Then you bring the water to a boil from cold, with the pasta already in the water, and reduce to a simmer, cooking to your desired doneness.  You need to stir it a few times to prevent clumping.  The timing is different from what your package says (since it's based on you dumping pasta into already boiling water), but I've found adding 3-4 minutes gets it nicely al dente.  It gives the pasta more of an "al dente bite," and using less water gives you a supercharged starchy water for sauces.  

https://altonbrown.com/cold-water-method-pasta-recipe/

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/ask-the-food-lab-can-i-start-pasta-in-cold-water.html

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, LebongJames said:

2d607c402ceff5e8fded2371b3454d24.jpg

15 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Braised short rib

Jalapeno pesto

Goat cheese

cipollini onions

pappardelle

diced tomatoes 

What is that, some kind of Mexican pasta?  Looks great.

I'd serve that in any of my Mexican/Italian Fusion restaurants.

• Haha 1