Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

22 hours ago, gecko said:

Can’t miss filets (if you have average grill skills)...

Trader Joe’s center cut filets, cover w/olive oil, sprinkle Montreal steak seasoning, grill 7 minutes each side, let stand 5 mins. Your welcome.

I have never had those from Trader Joe’s...but 14 minutes seems like a really long time to grill and filet. 

17 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

this item, in particular, i would like to sex up

only note i will make to the below is that while i did use the broiler and it worked well for getting the whole thing cooked, i also torched the top a bit more with hand torch to get a bit more brulee.

Pine Nut Crust
makes enough for 3 tart crusts

2 cups pine nuts
1/3 cup sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
8 ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place the pine nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times.  Add the sugar and flour and continue to pulse until the nuts are finely ground.  Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the butter, egg, and vanilla extract and mix/knead by hand to incorporate all the ingredients.  Divide the dough into three equal parts.  Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes before using.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Generously butter and flour a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom and refrigerate it while the oven preheats. Remove the tart pan from the refrigerator.  Use your fingertips to press the chilled pine nut dough evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.  Prick the tart crust with a fork to prevent it from puffing up unevenly.  Bake the crust for 10 to 15 minutes, then rotate it and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until it is golden brown.  Remove the crust from the oven and let it cool while you make the filling.

Lemon Tart
1 pre-baked Pine Nut Crust
2 large eggs, cold
2 large egg yolks, cold
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces

The filling for this lemon tart is made using the sabayon method, which means the eggs, lemon juice, and sugar are first cooked over boiling water and then incorporated with the butter. Bring about 1 1/2 inches of water to a boil in a medium pot.  Meanwhile, in a large metal bowl, whisk the eggs, yolks, and sugar for about 1 minute, or until the mixture is smooth. Set the bowl over the pot (double boiler) and, using a large whisk, whip the mixture while you turn the bowl (for even heating).  After about 2 minutes, when the eggs are foamy and have thickened, add one-third of the lemon juice.  Continue to whisk vigorously and, when the mixture thickens again, add another one-third of the lemon juice.  Whisk until the mixture thickens again, then add the remaining lemon juice.  Continue whisking vigorously, still turning the bowl, until the mixture is thickened and light in color and the whisk leaves a trail in the bottom of the bowl.  The total cooking time should be 8 to 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the bowl over the water.  Whisk in the butter a piece at a time.  The sabayon may loosen slightly, but it will thicken and set as it cools.  Pour the warm sabayon into the tart crust and place the pan on a baking sheet. Preheat the broiler.  While the sabayon is still warm, place the tart under the broiler.  Leaving the door open, brown the top of the sabayon, rotating the tart if necessary for even color; this will take only a few seconds, so do not leave the oven.  Remove the tart from the broiler and let it sit for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve at room temperature or cold.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sidis said:

only note i will make to the below is that while i did use the broiler and it worked well for getting the whole thing cooked, i also torched the top a bit more with hand torch to get a bit more brulee.

nice, thank you.  i just pulled and squeezed a big jar of juice from a bunch of meyer lemons from my tree so this seems like a good opportunity to use some of it

Anyone got any tips or pointers for blackened catfish?  I think I am going to do it with a cast iron skillet outside on the grill.

Put as much blackening seasoning on it as you think is good. Then double it. You really have to coat it. You almost can’t use too much.

• Like 1

Interestingly, the last time I did this, I did it with blackened catfish (which is awesome). This time, I used some rockfish filets that were on sale.

Blackened fish, topped with momma Brisket’s etouffee (she brought some over last night to feed her sick grandson, so this is what I did with the leftovers).

cc28d142629d099de45247c7ac9811e8.jpg

• Like 3

Keeping the trend with “Binging with Babish” I gave his deep dish pizza a try tonight. First time cooking this so needs some tweaks (pizza fell apart when i cut into it) but, holy shit, it was incredible. Nailed the flavor and my wife (who swore she only likes NY pizza) cleaned her plate.
2d623d2db2f0b9d02af4380e1e09d13e.jpgfd5844806cb123c3a758ac8cff4ca989.jpga598961412ba02523458ceaeb8faa003.jpg6f21a790a1708aebddce5c40ba858775.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 12/16/2019 at 2:00 PM, Dr Fear said:

Anyone got any tips or pointers for blackened catfish?  I think I am going to do it with a cast iron skillet outside on the grill.

Make your own blackening spice, you likely have the spices in your kitchen already.  Leave the salt out so you can lay the blackening seasoning to the fish and control the salt independently.

On 12/17/2019 at 7:25 PM, Brisketexan said:

Interestingly, the last time I did this, I did it with blackened catfish (which is awesome). This time, I used some rockfish filets that were on sale.

Blackened fish, topped with momma Brisket’s etouffee (she brought some over last night to feed her sick grandson, so this is what I did with the leftovers).

cc28d142629d099de45247c7ac9811e8.jpg

Those scrimps are just sad.

No doubt, but those look like something you buy in a 20 lb sack from the freezer at Sam's.  I will admit I had good success overseas with jumbos but you have to cut them up into smaller chunks.

Huh. They were fresh from HEB.

And we use smaller shrimp for a simple reason - so you get em in your spoon. Really, we prefer crawfish, but sticking with what’s in season.

Christmas Casserole:

- Spicy Breakfast Sausage
- Leftover Roasted Pork Shank
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Varieties of Cheddar
- Dinner Rolls and Baguette torn into Pieces
- Sweet Peppers
- Spices to Taste

Now, normally you coat this in milk and let it coagulate over night, but we ran out of milk so we improvised. Turns out, if you water down ranch dressing and use the same approach, it is equally delicious...

dc7c26c80dd51a07bac692785a8be1aa.jpgea19c2c5f8c184be461f3c8c67dd744c.jpg908d551e6cd84a7d6117302df35e26bd.jpg79a8661e008d8482f202622b779de872.jpg24a867551a93bae9d3dfef25658aea71.jpg

• Like 5

Can I get a Surly ruling on the most popular Christmas Main Entree? 

Turkey feels like a yankee thing, but is perfectly acceptable. 

Beef tenderloin feels like a Texas thing. 

Ham feels like a Southern thing, but I love it on Christmas. 

As a nod to our Houston Jewish brothers and sisters, the original Kim Son on Christmas is pretty darned good too.