Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can I get a Surly ruling on the most popular Christmas Main Entree? 

Turkey feels like a yankee thing, but is perfectly acceptable. 

Beef tenderloin feels like a Texas thing. 

Ham feels like a Southern thing, but I love it on Christmas. 

As a nod to our Houston Jewish brothers and sisters, the original Kim Son on Christmas is pretty darned good too. 

My wife’s deceased grandfather loved thanksgiving pt. 2 on Christmas, but my family usually ate tenderloin or prime rib growing up. Seems like these days some sort of beef (usually tenderloin or prime rib) Is the main entree between our families, spanning both Texas and south Louisiana. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

My first ever prime rib cook. Followed Chef Johns recipe on a little over 5lb bone-in. Turned out pretty good, though I’d go a little more rare next time.

ba38fed0d83b246113010a2c02b09d9d.jpg

554578fcbd1e554c098918167621b2b6.jpg

Made au jus from the drippings, served with sous vide glazed carrots, mashed potatoes, challah rolls, and side salad, with a nice cab.

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Like 4

On 12/23/2019 at 8:07 AM, Limp Brisket said:

Make your own blackening spice, you likely have the spices in your kitchen already.  Leave the salt out so you can lay the blackening seasoning to the fish and control the salt independently.

I will do this next time, got lazy and just did Tony's and the salt level was extreme.

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As a nod to our Houston Jewish brothers and sisters, the original Kim Son on Christmas is pretty darned good too. 

Fried Turkey and Ham from The Honey Baked Ham Company

On 12/25/2019 at 8:14 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

we did tenderloin and ham, although i was the only one who ate the ham - the only thing i really require for Christmas is a  Honeybaked ham so i can have mini ham sandwiches for several days while watching games, and the ham bone for the NYD black eyed peas.  

• Like 5

My attempt at Gaido’s Watkins Bisque. This was pretty spot on - adjusted a few things (didn’t strain - was already pretty smooth, added more white pepper, pinch of salt) but definitely had the flavor. My mom has brought up Gaido’s the other week and I’ve been craving it since. Really hit the spot.
47245843d2917030da750e94e80122af.jpg34fcd136069dacd51eb8a00e2eeceb0d.jpgbb602860a1705e146137bcee8a73f69f.jpg6050659f25646fa7ffd7afa5a36dd1cc.jpge749aaa1bd71eec2be4b9844a163e337.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LW Goatman said:

That looks great, can you post your recipe?

I used the NYT recipe because it didn't seem overly complicated. This adds feta, which isn't in every recipe. But basically you just slice an onion and a red bell pepper very thin and cook that way down on medium low heat till the veggies are super soft. Add some garlic, a teaspoon of paprika and a teaspoon of cumin, along with cayanne to your liking. Cook that down for a few minutes to get the seasoning going, then add a big ass can of organic tomatoes. I used whole fire roasted and broke them up with a spoon. Cook that shit down on medium for about 10-15 minutes, hollow out some holes for the eggs and crack the eggs on top. I put it in the oven for about 15 mins, but probably should have done about 12 mins because the yolks were a little firmer than I would have liked. But you can also leave on the stove top and cover with a lid. 

Here's the recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014721-shakshuka-with-feta

INGREDIENTS

• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
  •  teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
  • 1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
  • ¾ teaspoon salt, more as needed
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper, more as needed
  • 5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 6 large eggs
  •  Chopped cilantro, for serving
  •  Hot sauce, for serving
Add to Your Grocery List

PREPARATION

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes; stir in cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute. Pour in tomatoes and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled feta.
  3. Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce.
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:25 PM, RMac5 said:

@Errestaurants that beef tender looks incredible, where did you get it?

care to share the green chile corn recipe?

Got the tenderloin from Costco, they had them on sale before Christmas. 

recipe you asked for

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/08/green-chile-corn-pudding.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Beef bourguignon, Julia’s recipe. Served with dutch oven bread and Plugra butter. One of my very favorite meals. I usually make it once a year.

30e9483b9c93b2d4629598a2d3b79bfa.jpg

Letting everyone get to know each other while warming.

c14d5ad028ab278fd958b0f6682bae48.jpg

Plated. Tonight’s effort did not disappoint. Triple-sieving the sauce kicks it up a notch.

I can almost taste a slice of that onion with some beef and noodle. Fuck. 

• Like 4

Those beef cheeks look great! I have only smoked beef cheeks one time and they took a shit ton of trimming, did you experience the same?

My HEB sells them when they’re open. I end up trimming about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total weight. First time I made them I bought a 3lb package, went home and opened it and had to jump rig back in the car to go buy another package. But holy fuck they’re delicious. And they cook in about 4-5 hours. You can eat them like bbq or throw them I tacos. Whatever. They’re awesome. So I guess they will cost $7/lb soon.

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Depends how you make it. Rice can be tricky if done wrong. Ditto a decent roux. 

Personally I think rice is a lot easier than roux.  But I am not here to argue.  Wife went "shopping" at Trader Joes so now I need to find a good sauce to make with gnocchi.

1 minute ago, huge said:

Personally I think rice is a lot easier than roux.  But I am not here to argue.  Wife went "shopping" at Trader Joes so now I need to find a good sauce to make with gnocchi.

The best way I've ever cooked gnocchi is pan fried with olive oil & fresh basil. Add grated parm on the plate. No need for a heavy sauce. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

She bought the new Kale gnocchi, didn't she?

I didn't look too closely.  All I know is that it is shrink-wrapped and I could kill her with it if I hit her in the back of the head just right.

wait

• Like 1