Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

damn, picadillo sounds good.  and that looks great.  do you have a recipe you use for that, or is it a dish you sort of eyeball and make as you go? 

Eyeballed it. But this was the rough recipe...Brown an onion, bell pepper, a carrot, a celery stalk, and 1 lbs ground beef. Add 3 cloves of garlic and a couple of tomatoes. 1 tsp Chipotle powder, 1/2tsp cumin, salt, black pepper, 1 tsp Mexican oregano, and 2 bay leaves to season. Add a cup of beef or chicken stock. 2 diced potatoes. Simmer covered for 30 min. Adjust seasoning.

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I've got a frozen pizza ready to go this evening with a bottle of wine and a 12 pack of beer.  Think I might need another bottle of wine.  And another pizza.  And maybe more beer.

Unless you meant "we"...fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Current activities.

Dinosaurs up top, pork directly below, short beefers bottom L.

Cracklin' membrane stuff top L (already consumed).

HEB was open & I didn't need shit tickets, so I got wraps & those will get prob. 3 hours is my guess.66de3633d4fa7815b5ae472fcaf4b8ca.jpgaf3670ebf441fa59002f05cc6025a73c.jpg6327382080c1a57e35059b25793cbbbe.jpg65c0a5910961286700d7d720c6437374.jpghttps://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e76b277204bb/20200321_173948.mp4

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Outstanding. Always wanted to try this stuff. Truffle overload and delicious. 

Grilled TRUFF Wings. 

49688296238_bd23ff7650_b.jpg

Nice humble brag on the hand sanitizer.  How much for the rest of it?

Kidding, but seriously...what is this Truff you speak of and what do I need to know?  If it is what I think it is, sounds amazing.

12 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

baharat and sumac roasted chicken with red onions, preserved lemons and olives

All y'all cook some amazing dishes and I am out of rep to give so a big round of applause for excellent cooking chops. @Jack Straw gets the bonus chapeau for always including his assistant and sentinel in the pic.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, Dutch said:

@Landomatic’s earlier entry made me hungry for baked ziti w/ sausage and parm. Used rigatoni; final product outstanding. Dinner for probably two more nights, not that I’m complaining.

ha - same here.  i saw Landomatic's post last week and did a huge dish of baked rigatoni friday night with a simple homemade marinara and lots of mozzarella and parmesan.  fed two of us both friday and saturday nights for dinner, took a couple servings out to my mom with some other essentials yesterday, and still have enough for two more dinners this week.  also not complaining.  big bang for the buck dish for sure.

• Like 2

Asking for friend...

Is it wrong to put a whole head/ knob of roasted garlic in a pot of homemade red sauce and meatballs?  I put it in there, along with the other usual accompaniments: sauteed shrooms, peppers, and onion, basil, red pepper, and oregano... and caught hell after I told them how much I used.  Now mind you, they loved the fucking sauce; but asked me when the vampires were coming too.

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Asking for friend...

Is it wrong to put a whole head/ knob of roasted garlic in a pot of homemade red sauce and meatballs?  I put it in there, along with the other usual accompaniments: sauteed shrooms, peppers, and onion, basil, red pepper, and oregano... and caught hell after I told them how much I used.  Now mind you, they loved the fucking sauce; but asked me when the vampires were coming too.

Italians think that American's use too much garlic when we make Italian food.  I say if you like garlic, use as much as you want.  And the roasted garlic adds a nice flavor.  But you may be Dutch-ovening your wife all night.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Italians think that American's use too much garlic when we make Italian food.  I say if you like garlic, use as much as you want.  And the roasted garlic adds a nice flavor.  But you may be Dutch-ovening your wife all night.

True story - my wife and I almost broke up one night after I ate about a head of garlic that had been cooked in the crawfish boil.  That shit tasted so good, but I legit thought I was going to die the night.  If you stuck me with a pin, there would be nothing left of me but a pile of shitty skin.  And the smell... hands down, the worst farts of my life.  Like rotten garlic pranced through a field of dog shit.  If the gas didn't kill me, I was pretty sure she would.  The smell woke her from a dead sleep a few times that night.  I've never felt so much shame and regret.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Italians will bitch about anything with regards to non-Italians making Italian food

True story - my wife and I almost broke up one night after I ate about a head of garlic that had been cooked in the crawfish boil.  That shit tasted so good, but I legit thought I was going to die the night.  If you stuck me with a pin, there would be nothing left of me but a pile of shitty skin.  And the smell... hands down, the worst farts of my life.  Like rotten garlic pranced through a field of dog shit.  If the gas didn't kill me, I was pretty sure she would.  The smell woke her from a dead sleep a few times that night.  I've never felt so much shame and regret.

4Loko says hi.

18 hours ago, Iceman said:

Asking for friend...

Nah, not wrong. I sliced up about 15 cloves that were sauteed with the shrimp and lemon this weekend. Gassy garlic gastronomy is good food. 

10 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Would you mind sharing this recipe? Looks delicious. Would devour.

here you go

• tablespoons baharat spice blend **
  • teaspoons ground sumac
  • teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 3 large preserved lemons, flesh scooped out and rinds torn up
  • 3 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • A few grinds black pepper
  • ~3 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken 
  • large red onion thinly sliced 
  • green olives
  • In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the baharat, sumac, cumin, coriander, preserved lemon rinds, garlic, chicken stock, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Seal the bag and gently massage everything together. Open the bag and toss in the chicken thighs and onions, reseal, and massage again to fully coat the chicken. Toss the bag in the fridge for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight to marinate, turning the bag several times 
  • Preheat the oven to 400°F .
  • Dump the chicken and the marinade in a large roasting pan and arrange the chicken, skin side up, on top of the onions, add olives in between chicken pieces.  Roast until the chicken is golden brown and the juices run clear, ~50 minutes.
  • ** I have baharat from a spice shop, but here are a couple recipes for making your own: https://www.food.com/recipe/baharat-spice-blend-224763  https://jugglingthyme.com/baharat-spice-mix/

I had a similar garlic experience when I was served a “garlic chicken rice bowl” at a local sports bar some years ago.  Only half way through dis I realize half of the tender delicious chicken pieces were lightly roasted garlic cloves.

shame and regret is correct.

Had garlic flavor in my mouth for few days and slept on couch out of compassion for my wife.

Came home from work the first night to the stale lingering odor my previous nights effort.

2cbf6826d28a064a4ddba6638d4e96a3.jpg

Wagyu ribeye from B&B Butchers. Berg hospitality has been very generous with charity work in Houston so I’m happy to help him out in my own small way. He’s having a bbq benefit at the restaurant this Saturday to help his workers. Betcha his que is excellent - looking forward to trying it.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 3:29 AM, Iceman said:

Asking for friend...

Add a rind of parmigiana reggiano and let it cook a couple of hours and it’s even better.  Drop about a half bottle of Chianti Classico and it’s another level. 

• Like 1

Garlic.  Whatever the recipe calls for double it at least.  You can’t go wrong.  

Pasta.  Salt your water when it’s boiling and make it as salty as the ocean. 

I’m making bolognese stuffed ravioli on Sunday.  I’m undecided about the sauce but I’m leaning towards a basil cream, a roasted garlic garlic pasta sauce or a browned butter sauce.  Probably the browned butter sauce because I don’t want to overpower the ravioli filling.  The filling should be the star of the show. 

Edited by VABuckeye

Wagyu ribeye from B&B Butchers. Berg hospitality has been very generous with charity work in Houston so I’m happy to help him out in my own small way. He’s having a bbq benefit at the restaurant this Saturday to help his workers. Betcha his que is excellent - looking forward to trying it.

I drove by last Saturday and there were 40 cars in line. Dammit