Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Fellow member of the burn club here. Top of the oven got me between my index finger and thumb while I was stirring something. Pretty good scar. 

I fired up the crock pot this morning to free up some space in the fridge and get rid of some perishables.  

1) I turned the crock pot on high, added red potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and green onion. I like petite carrots and grape tomatoes because you don't have to cut them up. Let it sweat for a little bit. 

2) Meanwhile, I browned some white onion and threw in ground beef. Diced onions brown a lot better when I add olive oil, salt and pepper and stir it during prep. Then I add a little olive to the pan and tossed the onions in. Cooked everything until it's nice and brown. 

3) Added the ground beef and onions to the crock pot. Added some McCormick's beef stew seasoning, and beef stock until everything was submerged.

4) Reduced heat to low. I'll check it in about 6 hours, and kick it down to warm. Should be ready to go by dinner time. 

I'm skipping the cornbread, and sour cream. Trying to eat better. @ me. 

19 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Add a rind of parmigiana reggiano and let it cook a couple of hours and it’s even better.  Drop about a half bottle of Chianti Classico and it’s another level. 

19 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Garlic.  Whatever the recipe calls for double it at least.  You can’t go wrong.  

Pasta.  Salt your water when it’s boiling and make it as salty as the ocean. 

I’m making bolognese stuffed ravioli on Sunday.  I’m undecided about the sauce but I’m leaning towards a basil cream, a roasted garlic garlic pasta sauce or a browned butter sauce.  Probably the browned butter sauce because I don’t want to overpower the ravioli filling.  The filling should be the star of the show. 

Your jib...I’m diggin it’s cut.

And brown butter all the way.  For the reason you stated.

23 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Bolognese for the filling is on the stovetop.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Okay, I was 100% with you up until the tomatoes in ice bath pic (deleted the rest of the pics).  Gonna need some more details on the last 3 pics from there...

1. Tomatoes in ice bath - What is this for?  I've never seen more than a little tomato paste in bolognese?  Three whole tomatoes seems much more like a red sauce?  Am I doing it wrong?  Also, side note...I learned a long time ago that peeling your own tomatoes is worthless.  Don't get me wrong, I totally get wanting everything to be from scratch, but a good can of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes is just as good every single time.  And there isn't a chef on earth who will tell you otherwise.
  2. Wine - Was that just slid in there to show what you were drinking with it or is that what you put in it?  I've always used white wine for bolognese...did you use red?  And did you really decant it to cook with it?
  3. Rind of Parmigiano Reggiano - I saw you mention that in another post but I kind of forgot about it.  Please explain.  Is that your substitute for whole milk?  Again, never seen bolognese without whole milk.  But also never seen it with a rind of PR.  I always add a ton of shredded at the end.  This technique intrigues me very much.
  4. Finished product - Definitely looks different than bolognese.  Did you switch to something different?  Maybe just the lighting or something, but end result just pretty much looks like ground beef.  Not even sure how that's possible with all that tomato?

I'm sure there are a million different ways to make it, so just curious on all the different techniques.  Definitely ready to start branching out from my comfort zone on several different pastas as they're all starting to be so automatic for me that the fun is wearing off some.

16 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Ravioli is done.  It's not the easist pasta to make.  I know a lot now about it that I didn't know before.  I did end up with a brown butter and herb sauce on top.  The flavors were spot on.  I just need to work on my ravioli making skills a bit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks pretty damn good for a first attempt if you ask me.

The recipe calls for three blanched tomatoes.  As you can see from the finished sauce there is no "red" in the finished sauce.  I like using frsh tomatoes in the sauce but you're right, San Marzano tomatoes would have easily done the job.  There's 4 lbs of meat (ground pork, ground beef, ground veal) in there so the amount of tomato used is insignificant in the appearance of the final product.

The wine was left over from Friday night and thus the decanter.  Yes, it goes into the dish.  The red wine gives more depth of flavor.  That happened to be Brunello so this particular batch got a really good wine cooked into it.

No whole milk at all in this bolognese.  This is a meat bolognese which is from northern central Italy.  It does not look like what Americans typically think of as bolognese.  I'll post the recipe.

Yep, that's the same pot as the one with the tomatoes.  The meat takes on a very dark cast.  It cooks for 4-5 hours.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 7:49 PM, VABuckeye said:

Add a rind of parmigiana reggiano and let it cook a couple of hours and it’s even better. 

This. I saw someone throw a rind in when making a sauce on a cooking vid a few months ago (Babish, IIRC), and decided to give it a shot. It really does kick things up a few notches. Works great on soups like tomato basil, also.  I'll never throw away a parmigiana or pecorino rind again.  

• Like 1

Here is the recipe.  I've modified it in a couple of ways.  I use more wine than called for and less olive oil.  I use ground pork, beef and veal in equal proportions.  I also recently added the use of the parm reg rind.  I also use more garlic than called for in the recipe.  We made this at a cooking class while staying at Borgo Argenina.  I also cook it for a lot longer than called for in the recipe.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dutch said:

This. I saw someone throw a rind in when making a sauce on a cooking vid a few months ago (Babish, IIRC), and decided to give it a shot. It really does kick things up a few notches. Works great on soups like tomato basil, also.  I'll never throw away a parmigiana or pecorino rind again.  

Does it cook out or do you pull it out like a bay leaf?

4 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

The recipe calls for three blanched tomatoes.  As you can see from the finished sauce there is no "red" in the finished sauce.  I like using frsh tomatoes in the sauce but you're right, San Marzano tomatoes would have easily done the job.  There's 4 lbs of meat (ground pork, ground beef, ground veal) in there so the amount of tomato used is insignificant in the appearance of the final product.

The wine was left over from Friday night and thus the decanter.  Yes, it goes into the dish.  The red wine gives more depth of flavor.  That happened to be Brunello so this particular batch got a really good wine cooked into it.

No whole milk at all in this bolognese.  This is a meat bolognese which is from northern central Italy.  It does not look like what Americans typically think of as bolognese.  I'll post the recipe.

Yep, that's the same pot as the one with the tomatoes.  The meat takes on a very dark cast.  It cooks for 4-5 hours.

Fascinating.  Okay, so once it cooks down and in contrast to 4 pounds of meat cooked over 4-5 hours, those fresh tomatoes probably roughly equal my few tablespoons of tomato paste added toward the end.

Glad to hear you aren't decanting your cooking wine.  That would make me wonder.

All makes sense.  Will need to try it sometime.  Sounds like the end result will be rich as fuck?  And not very saucy?  Do you use this same recipe when you eat it as a traditional stand-alone with tagliatelle?  Or is this just for shit like ravioli stuffing or lasagna or whatever?  Seems like it would be "dry as fuck" just tossed with some pasta?

Very rich.  When I serve it with pasta I serve it with a pici pasta.  It's a very thick pasta.  It's made with semolina flour and water.  No eggs.  It takes 22 minutes in a boiling pot to cook.  A big rich sauce like this needs a strong pasta to bond with.  It would overwhelm a delicate pasta.

This bolognese is outstanding for using in a lasagna.

Pici Pasta

Sauce looks perfect.  Never seen cacio e pepe made with tagliatelle before, but hey...

First time using the pasta roller so I just picked one. Once we had the noodles it was more of a "now what do I have in the pantry where i can use these". So it was either jarred pasta sauce that I keep for my daughter or a bastardized cacio e pepe w fontina and parmesan cheese. It actually turned out pretty damn good. After all, it is just "cheese and pepper"

I like all fresh ingredients.  That's all.  When we did the cooking lesson we used fresh tomatoes.

Wine.  I end up with about a bottle of Chianti in the bolognese.  I add about a half cup to a cup every hour or so.  To get the richness out of the sauce it needs to cook longer than the recipe calls for.  I go 4-5 hours.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

First time using the pasta roller so I just picked one. Once we had the noodles it was more of a "now what do I have in the pantry where i can use these". So it was either jarred pasta sauce that I keep for my daughter or a bastardized cacio e pepe w fontina and parmesan cheese. It actually turned out pretty damn good. After all, it is just "cheese and pepper"

Haha sounds like me with my new smoker.  Ordered it...got it...now what the hell am I going to cook on it?  Unfortunately, I didn't have anything laying around in the pantry that is really smokable so I'll need to wait for a while until I can get some meat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I like all fresh ingredients.  That's all.  When we did the cooking lesson we used fresh tomatoes.

I get it.  That charm just wore off for me after the first time I did it...and once I learned that damn near every great Italian chef in the world just uses canned.

7 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I'm following the rest of the recipe fairly easily. It's this part that I can't seem to wrap my head around. 

• Haha 1