Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

22 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

The three peeled tomatoes cook completely into the Bolognese. When it’s done they’re gone.  I just break them down with a wooden spoon as it cooks.

whole tomatoes. Core all all. Just blanched. 

That’s not the part he was having trouble following.  The bolded part is the confusion.  Which...hesrightyaknow.gif

1 hour ago, lonestar3 said:

I'm following the rest of the recipe fairly easily. It's this part that I can't seem to wrap my head around. 

Ah, it was the fourth bottle of the night between my daughter (no pics) and I.  We also had edlibles so by the time we got into that bottle (mistake to open) we didn't get to the bottom.  Shame too because Brunello is a damned fine wine to use for cooking.

• Like 2

You're in.  Just keep pos-repping me for the bashing I'm taking from the thin skinned in the Non-Texas Recruiting Forum.

ETA: I probably deserve it.  They can't handle Ohio State getting Texas kids and elite recruits.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Spur08 said:

1. Log of breakfast sausage
2. Dust in whatever, or nothing, your choice (I did meat church The Gospel)
3. Smoke at 250 until 165* (abt 2 hrs for me)
4. Dominate

You can also flatten out the sausage and then roll it back up stuffed with cheese, peppers, scrambled eggs, bacon, or anything else that goes with sausage. Or take it to 11 and wrap it in a bacon weave. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Spur08 said:

1. Log of breakfast sausage
2. Dust in whatever, or nothing, your choice (I did meat church The Gospel)
3. Smoke at 250 until 165* (abt 2 hrs for me)
4. Dominate

You can also flatten out the sausage and then roll it back up stuffed with cheese, peppers, scrambled eggs, bacon, or anything else that goes with sausage. Or take it to 11 and wrap it in a bacon weave. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 10:06 AM, Cheeseweasel said:

It's easy to do if you know what you are looking for. Just make sure the only ingredient is "tomatoes". Some brands put sugar/gums/lark's vomit in them.

timely nyt cooking / wirecutter review:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/best-canned-tomatoes.html

Edited by elfenix

Babish is going to convince me to get a KitchenAid stand mixer all by himself, all the tasty treats he cooks up using one.  The only thing holding me back is the knowledge I'd probably make things like his deep dish pizza all the damn time and balloon up to well over tree fiddy.  

@BearCountry11, that pizza looks outstanding. 

/clinteastwoodbravo.gif

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Babish is going to convince me to get a KitchenAid stand mixer all by himself, all the tasty treats he cooks up using one.  The only thing holding me back is the knowledge I'd probably make things like his deep dish pizza all the damn time and balloon up to well over tree fiddy.  

@BearCountry11, that pizza looks outstanding. 

/clinteastwoodbravo.gif

EXACTLY why i bought one.  My wife had been begging for one for years - never pulled the trigger.  Started watching Babish and we had one inside of a month.  Tough on the waistline for sure.  

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I was mostly thinking they would brighten up your somber ass mood, but clearly I was mistaken.

I, for one, felt they really added to the overall charm and tied the room together.  And I say that with an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality.

• Like 1

The wife has the same candlesticks on our dining room table. I’m sure she solicited my opinion prior to purchase. I’m sure I said something along the lines of “sure, those look nice.”

+1 affirmative Surly Internet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

Wow!  I tried making this recently and it did not turn out like that.  Any tips or links to the recipes your followed for the sauce and the pasta would be much appreciated

I winged the pasta with a 1:1 cup:egg ratio (unbleached AP flour)

As far as cacio e pepe, I didn't really use a recipe but I used these 2 videos as a guide

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PorscheGuy said:

Wow!  I tried making this recently and it did not turn out like that.  Any tips or links to the recipes your followed for the sauce and the pasta would be much appreciated

Those are good vids, but I'll add another tip I learned from Alton Brown that really amped up my pasta game: you want your pasta water super-starchy, so cook your pasta in as little water as possible.  That really helps get the finished sauce to the correct consistency in dishes like cacio e pepe, carbonara, etc. The cold water method works really well to get a slightly more al dente pasta with supercharged starchy water (put pasta in a cold pot or saute pan if cooking a long noodle, cover with an inch or two of water, bring the water to a boil, and then cook to just short of al dente, which is usually a minute short of double what the box says).

Edited by Dutch

12 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Trying to learn the ways of the coon-ass. This is my first stab at dirty rice. Wife said it was the best she’s had, and she grew up in BR and lived as an adult in NOLA. Whipped up the dark roux in under 5 minutes. Followed the method laid out in the latest Basics with Babish -Cajun Food episode.

78c2e2044d77cf8378e202be2e798741.jpg

bb0adccc305abff725e3b5fa592c0dc1.jpg

please don't take this as critical because you did a fantastic job and i would plow the shit outta that. 

however, one thing i would add that Toups didn't on Babish's show is minced chicken liver.  traditionally, it's pig liver, but chicken liver is a great sub without the intensity of pork liver.  

that said, again, great job.

40 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

please don't take this as critical because you did a fantastic job and i would plow the shit outta that. 

however, one thing i would add that Toups didn't on Babish's show is minced chicken liver.  traditionally, it's pig liver, but chicken liver is a great sub without the intensity of pork liver.  

that said, again, great job.

I'll definitely try to source good liver next time.  This was just ground beef (using up frozen meat reserves), and it was still fantastic, though I did miss that minerally liver flavor.  Next on the list are the red wine caramel rillons.  Those look fucking incredible

12 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

I'll definitely try to source good liver next time.  This was just ground beef (using up frozen meat reserves), and it was still fantastic, though I did miss that minerally liver flavor.  Next on the list are the red wine caramel rillons.  Those look fucking incredible

word, bro...i'm actually going to do that this weekend but with some belly that i've "par-smoked"...i'll post up, so look for it.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 10:51 AM, Dutch said:

Those are good vids, but I'll add another tip I learned from Alton Brown that really amped up my pasta game: you want your pasta water super-starchy, so cook your pasta in as little water as possible.  That really helps get the finished sauce to the correct consistency in dishes like cacio e pepe, carbonara, etc. The cold water method works really well to get a slightly more al dente pasta with supercharged starchy water (put pasta in a cold pot or saute pan if cooking a long noodle, cover with an inch or two of water, bring the water to a boil, and then cook to just short of al dente, which is usually a minute short of double what the box says).

Everything I’ve ever heard or read from a true Italian cook is the opposite. You want a lot of water in the pot so the water continues to boil when you drop the pasta. 

Then cook to al dente and transfer the pasta dripping with water into the pan with the sauce to finish the pasta.  This helps the sauce to bond to the pasta. 

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Everything I’ve ever heard or read from a true Italian cook is the opposite. You want a lot of water in the pot so the water continues to boil when you drop the pasta. 

Then cook to al dente and transfer the pasta dripping with water into the pan with the sauce to finish the pasta.  This helps the sauce to bond to the pasta. 

But, scientifically, that doesn't make a lot of sense.  For dishes like cacio e pepe or carbonara, the starchier the water, the more easily the sauce binds.  The starch is what makes a combination of melted cheese and water (w/ fat and egg, in the case of carbonara) become a creamy sauce.  When you cook with the least amount of water, you create a highly concentrated starch solution, vs. using the minimally starchy drippings from pasta cooked in a tons of boiling water.  This makes a better, creamier sauce.

My first attempt at Sunday Gravy or Prison Sauce. Always wanted to try it.

First, mise en place. San Marzano tomatoes, onions, garlic, tomato paste, anchovy paste, oregano, a basil stem, olive oil, and dry Italian red wine. Not pictured: one carrot quartered.

1bdf62f8fc54534cfe9ead895a222689.plist

Browned some veal shanks, short ribs, and sausages.

66359bed8d645816dcd7369a2d47fcab.plist

Sautéed the veg, added in the pastes, let them cook a bit, deglazed with a bit of wine, then added the tomatoes, meats, a bit of Parmesan rind, and the carrot. Brought to a simmer and plan to cook ~ 5 hours.

73d1fd010b37ce747a76967243f2c21b.plist

Will report back.

• Like 6

In the episode where explains it, Brown admits as much: he’s an outlier and this opinion won’t be popular. I’ve tried both ways, and, at least when it comes to carbonara and cacio e pepe, the cold water method seems to give my very amateur self better results.

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

My first attempt at Sunday Gravy or Prison Sauce. Always wanted to try it.

First, mise en place. San Marzano tomatoes, onions, garlic, tomato paste, anchovy paste, oregano, a basil stem, olive oil, and dry Italian red wine. Not pictured: one carrot quartered.

1bdf62f8fc54534cfe9ead895a222689.plist

Browned some veal shanks, short ribs, and sausages.

66359bed8d645816dcd7369a2d47fcab.plist

Sautéed the veg, added in the pastes, let them cook a bit, deglazed with a bit of wine, then added the tomatoes, meats, a bit of Parmesan rind, and the carrot. Brought to a simmer and plan to cook ~ 5 hours.

73d1fd010b37ce747a76967243f2c21b.plist

Will report back.

Yeah, you gonna deglaze that fucking pan?

• Like 1