Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Charred Octopus

I'll be damned if this wasn't about as easy of an exotic dish that I've ever made.  Seemed really really elevated, but was really really basic.  Costco sells the octopus and the mashed potatoes then I just added some brussels and boom...fucking fantastic.  Charred the octopus on a screaming hot skillet on the grill.  Only thing I'd change is I should have added bacon.  Would have been perfect with that.  Highly recommend especially if you're trying to impress someone because it really comes off as some seriously gourmet shit.

ulSR5r.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Red beans and rice. Adding a smoked ham hock made a big difference. Before serving, debone and shred the ham and put it back in. Andouille sausage as well db4d06a8c721b9099789dd790f9e69ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winning. I do similarly with a hock. However, it often doesn’t cook through enough in the time it takes to make the beans. Remedy? Precook the hocks for a coupla hours, then add the stock and Hicks to the beans.

Red beans and rice with chunks of sausage and hocks? Victory.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stumbled across a new fried shrimp recipe and wanted to give it a try. Result was very very good. Let sit in a “marinade/egg wash” of hot sauce, yellow mustard, tonys, and eggs for a bit then fried. Crispy, flakey, delicious. Left them in the oil for a bit too long but no complaints from the family.
3c96c80359bd9aabc754b2f46e14290e.jpg

c6e461f4538982f2207b36f352a43184.jpg
441801b5c1c2e7039b99ecacbf9fc752.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Do you mind sharing the recipe?  

1 lb shrimp
1/3 cup mustard
1/3 cup hot sauce (I used franks)
1 cup flour (maybe a bit more)
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp tonys
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp old bay
0.5 tsp black pepper
2 eggs

Peel/devein shrimp and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, hot sauce, and eggs. Mix to combine and evenly coat the shrimp. Throw in spice mixture (tonys, garlic powder, black pepper, old bay) and stir.

Cover bowl and let sit for about 20 min while you get a pot of oil hot (I used peanut). Bring oil to 350 - I did 365 to account for the drop in temp when shrimp are added.

Put flour in a bowl and whisk in the cornstarch. I also added some garlic power and paprika. Remove shrimp from marinading bowl and to flour mixture. Toss to combine.

Fry shrimp in oil for 4-5 min (this seemed too long and I thought the shrimp were overdone - family disagreed). I did mine in batches then placed them on a wire rack once cooked.

Profit

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BearCountry11 said:

1 lb shrimp
1/3 cup mustard
1/3 cup hot sauce (I used franks)
1 cup flour (maybe a bit more)
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp tonys
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp old bay
0.5 tsp black pepper
2 eggs

Peel/devein shrimp and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, hot sauce, and eggs. Mix to combine and evenly coat the shrimp. Throw in spice mixture (tonys, garlic powder, black pepper, old bay) and stir.

Cover bowl and let sit for about 20 min while you get a pot of oil hot (I used peanut). Bring oil to 350 - I did 365 to account for the drop in temp when shrimp are added.

Put flour in a bowl and whisk in the cornstarch. I also added some garlic power and paprika. Remove shrimp from marinading bowl and to flour mixture. Toss to combine.

Fry shrimp in oil for 4-5 min (this seemed too long and I thought the shrimp were overdone - family disagreed). I did mine in batches then placed them on a wire rack once cooked.

Profit

That sounds really good, I am going to try this one. But I will fry them a little less, I normally fry shrimp about 3 minutes at 350.