Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 12/25/2020 at 11:09 PM, beer said:

When the plague has killed all the weak, we should all get together for a pot luck.  It will be 75 trays of brisket, 22 trays of steak, 6 cakes, 35 versions of mushrooms and bacon vs no bacon asparagus and 1 pulled pork - I'm guessing. 

Edit: and a bag of chex mix

you've never had elfenix's patented trunk bloody mary bar. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/13/2020 at 10:01 PM, BearCountry11 said:

Tried out some smoked then flash-fried wings tonight - might have found my new favorite way to do wings. We almost always fry them since I need a little crunch in my buffalo wings. Got this idea from Stiles Switch BBQ - unbelievable. All the smoky flavors you want and a nice, crispy exterior. Tossed in a little buffalo sauce (unnecessary) and devoured by the wife and I.

b946d9968f9ef559142238b5768a72cd.jpg
c49eef457e419a4128ef09cf2ab6fb84.jpg
10fb149abb44ab56cd9dbf190c699052.jpg
eaf300125e1ab1518086028f98386fd4.jpg
4c883a54b78ec787ac5f85e44e24884b.jpg

Curious ... what temp/how long you smoked them?  My attempts to “pre-smoke” wings have resulted in flavorful meat wrapped in leather.

21 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Curious ... what temp/how long you smoked them?  My attempts to “pre-smoke” wings have resulted in flavorful meat wrapped in leather.

I did around 275-300.  I hadn’t smoked wings before but with the flash-fry afterwards the skin was really crispy, not tough.  I’d say they were on maybe an hour?  I was watching internal temp more than time - pulled off at 170 (we like our wings done a bit more)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BearCountry11 said:

I did around 275-300.  I hadn’t smoked wings before but with the flash-fry afterwards the skin was really crispy, not tough.  I’d say they were on maybe an hour?  I was watching internal temp more than time - pulled off at 170 (we like our wings done a bit more)

Thnx ... I think where I missed the boat was smoking at 250 thru the whole cook which was ~2 hours.  Next time, smoke for an hour, then crank it up to a faster finish. 🙏

• Like 1

Jalapeño Cheesy Grits and Grilled shrimp (Dill garlic shallot butter)

Straight off the Royers Round Top recipe.

That’s the wife’s pretty plate. Mine was just piled high with shrimp and a criminal amount of grits.

00efe1f87c8b0e3a54bac49a19b09729.jpg
Would you mind sharing the recipe?

16 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

If you want, you can go to Royers Round Top Cafe Facebook page and click on videos and scroll down to May 2020 and there there is a video of Jamie Lynn making them.  I took the recipe from that video.  I was worried that 12 oz of  raw grits wouldn't be enough for us and it ended up being enough for 8-10 people easy.  There is a fuck ton of cheese in these. 

Probably going to do a seared ribeye over them next time.  

Royers Round Top Café  Cheesy Grits

Boil 4 ½ cups water with 1 stick of butter

Add ½ tsp cayenne & ½ tsp paprika

Add 2 T pickled jalapeno diced

Add 2 T chopped garlic  & 1 T Salt

Stir and bring to boil. 

Add Quaker Quick 5 min grits  - 12 oz (half the container)   - add in while boiling

Whisk whisk whisk

Once all water is absorbed

Turn flame off and add eggs   ½ cup eggs (2 eggs?)  and whisk some more so it doesn’t scramble

4 oz cream cheese – break into pieces and whisk in

Turn flame back on low

2 cups water  - add in water as you start to add the cheeses to make it easier to stir. 

1 lb Pepper jack -add in and stir and add some water (we grated ours)

2 cups heavy whipping cream add in with some of the cheese as well.

3/ 4  lb American cheese (grated) stir in and add cream as needed to make it easier to stir

Keep stirring until all cheese is melted.

It will thicken up as it cools off. 

*You can make ahead of time and reheat as you mix in a little milk or cream as you stir.

Season shrimp well with Lemon Pepper and grill with some Dill Garlic shallot Butter.

Hit it with a dash of Tony's after you plate it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I'm intrigued. Do you have the recipe?

https://www.purplecarrot.com/plant-based-recipes/crispy-carrot-ravioli-with-hazelnut-sesame-butter-apple-arugula-salad

if you're ever looking for a good recipe to try that's probably a bit different from what you usually do, especially if you're trying to cook something without meat, it's worth trawling through their recipes. Purple Carrot is one of those meal service things for vegans, although they just send you ingredients and recipes and their recipes are available there. We're not vegan, but every one of their recipes I've made has been at least good. I usually use real butter and cheese, although I do genuinely like treeline "cheese" and used it here.

Another really good simple one if you can get your hands on fresh ramen, I make this one semi frequently -

https://www.purplecarrot.com/plant-based-recipes/takeout-style-noodles-with-asparagus-sesame-ginger-sauce

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

i'm not much of a baker (too science-y 😁) but this lemon yogurt cake caught my eye a couple of weeks ago and i figured i'd give it a try...

i added the blueberries on my own, and i think they definitely added moisture bc i had to cook it about 20 mins longer than instructed. 

also, too much liquid in my glaze, it ran off the top and pooled in the pan, doesn't look great. 

HOWEVER... having said that... ...it was fucking delicious and i now have a workable dessert i can make for future dinner parties! 😁

20210120_172424.jpg

20210120_172910.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 3

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

i'm not much of a baker (too science-y 😁) but this lemon yogurt cake caught my eye a couple of weeks ago and i figured i'd give it a try...

i added the blueberries on my own, and i think they definitely added moisture bc i had to cook it about 20 mins longer than instructed. 

also, too much liquid in my glaze, it ran off the top and pooled in the pan, doesn't look great. 

HOWEVER... having said that... ...it was fucking delicious and i now have a workable dessert i can make for future dinner parties! 😁

20210120_172424.jpg

20210120_172910.jpg

Looks great. A tip for future bakes, in case you weren't aware. If you dust your blueberries with flour before you put them in your batter, they won't all sink to the bottom or clump in one place.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3