Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

So i just picked up a couple red snappers, some jumbo shrimp, a couple prawns and some oysters. I would like to make everything on the grill but am open to any other methods. Do y'all have any recipes you'd recommend or share? I know with a couple of pounds of the shrimp I'm doing the sea island charbroiled shrimp. Any other suggestions would be appreciated

24 minutes ago, LarTXHorn said:

So i just picked up a couple red snappers, some jumbo shrimp, a couple prawns and some oysters. I would like to make everything on the grill but am open to any other methods. Do y'all have any recipes you'd recommend or share? I know with a couple of pounds of the shrimp I'm doing the sea island charbroiled shrimp. Any other suggestions would be appreciated

The Oysters just a couple sticks of melted butter, lemon juice, little wine vinegar, garlic and shallots on the half shell you can’t go wrong.

• Hook 'Em 2

One of my favorite plates ever is/was the goat dumplings at Underbelly.  For Christmas, I got Cook Like A Local, Chris shepherd's book.  Tried out the recipe he published.....on point. I was very pleasantly surprised.  Required me going to hole in the wall store for fresh Korean Rice Cakes and shit was still worth it.

• Drool 1

12 hours ago, South Austin said:

Carnitas, bitches.

CCD94C5A-4B0C-4C52-9211-E4CA359D099A.jpeg

That's great hot sauce ^

Does everyone know about that hot sauce or is it kind of unique?  First time I've ever seen it outside of my own kitchen before.  I learned of it when my grocery delivery got screwed up about 6 months ago and they brought me one bag from someone else's order.  That was in there, along with a milder Melinda's and I'll be damned if it's not my go-to just about every time now.

the carnitas look good too

14 hours ago, Tailgate said:

That’s looks awesome. Can you post the recipe please? smile.png

4 lb pork shoulder

3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice

2 limes juiced

3/4 - 1 cup Mexican Coke

1 large onion cut into wedges

8 cloves garlic smashed 

1 tbs oregano 

1 tbs cumin

2 bay leaves 

Salt & pepper

Throw it all in a Dutch oven at 300 degrees for 6 hours. Then shred the pork. Heat 1 tbs oil in a skillet over high heat, toss in the shredded pork for a quick sear, then ladle about 1/2 cup of the braising liquid and let it reduce by about half.

Super easy, super good. The Coke takes it to another level and adds a nice caramelization to the seared pork.

Also, the Dutch oven is a pretty large vessel for the amount of liquid, so I turned the pork shoulder about 3-4 times in the oven throughout the 6 hours to make sure the braising was evenly distributed. 

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Does everyone know about that hot sauce or is it kind of unique?  First time I've ever seen it outside of my own kitchen before.  I learned of it when my grocery delivery got screwed up about 6 months ago and they brought me one bag from someone else's order.  That was in there, along with a milder Melinda's and I'll be damned if it's not my go-to just about every time now.

I got it yesterday for the first time. I think I could’ve gotten one step hotter. This was the Xxxtra Hot 3 out of 5 flame variety. 

21 hours ago, South Austin said:

4 lb pork shoulder

2 limes juiced

3/4 - 1 cup Mexican Coke

8 cloves garlic smashed 

1 tbs oregano 

1 tbs cumin

2 bay leaves 

Salt & pepper

Throw it all in a Dutch oven at 300 degrees for 6 hours. Then shred the pork. Heat 1 tbs oil in a skillet over high heat, toss in the shredded pork for a quick sear, then ladle about 1/2 cup of the braising liquid and let it reduce by about half.

Super easy, super good. The Coke takes it to another level and adds a nice caramelization to the seared pork.

Also, the Dutch oven is a pretty large vessel for the amount of liquid, so I turned the pork shoulder about 3-4 times in the oven throughout the 6 hours to make sure the braising was evenly distributed. 

Thank you. 

I’m half nervous posting this because of the method used, but it came out great so I’m sharing in case someone wants to     use it. I know pressure cooking isn’t novel. 

i found a pork shoulder in the deep freeze and have some brown sugar bbq sauce from Trader Joe’s that a friend brought up last summer. So I made pulled pork in the instant pot. 

Cubed the roast into 8 pieces, made a basic dry rub and then added a little sauce and some Apple cider vinegar and let that sit overnight. Next evening, I used the instant pot on sauté to sear the sides of the meat, deglazed the pot with some broth, then put in another cup of broth and a third cup of the apple cider vinegar. Set it for 50 minutes, then let sit  for 20 after that to cool and naturally depressurize.  It pulled apart nicely and had pretty good flavor for not being slow cooked like the carnitas above. 

so normal prep time for the meat, then around 10 minutes to sear the sides and 90 total minutes in the pressure cooker.  Doable as an after work meal if you don’t let a slow cooker or Dutch oven run while you are not there during the day. 

FDB3C47F-3B38-481B-B8C3-FBAE1D28DAAA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

^^^Tacos dorados are what you look for in most mexican restaurants for that style as well. My grandma made them that way all the time 

Thanks a ton. I've wondered if there was a proper noun for them. dorados. cool 

1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

^^^Tacos dorados are what you look for in most mexican restaurants for that style as well. My grandma made them that way all the time 

good info / pos rep for you both - have had tacos dorados at restaurants before - good stuff.   the homemade version navy describes sounds amazing 

47 minutes ago, NAVY said:

Thanks a ton. I've wondered if there was a proper noun for them. dorados. cool 

No problem. They are my favorite to make at home but my girlfriend likes them just heated up in oil a tiny bit not fried  so we do half and half. Those look badass btw

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2021 at 8:16 AM, South Austin said:

4 lb pork shoulder

2 limes juiced

3/4 - 1 cup Mexican Coke

8 cloves garlic smashed 

1 tbs oregano 

1 tbs cumin

2 bay leaves 

Salt & pepper

Covered or uncovered for 6 hours?

9 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

oldelpasotacodinnerkit.jpg

Funny. I bought some of that a few weeks ago. I've been getting random food from my childhood and making it with my 7 year old boy. He liked the spam. Not so much with the Hamburger helpers.

But these tacos really weren't that bad. Probably not something I'm buying on purpose again, but for what they were it was a decent dinner

On 12/13/2020 at 9:04 AM, South Austin said:

First time making it with white, and I read that it’s the more common style of coq au vin made in France. Americans know the dish as red-based because that’s what Julia Child’s introduced when she made French cooking popular in the U.S.

1. Happy Birthday, but I just turned 46 on Thursday, so GTFO with feeling old you whipper snapper.

2. The Wellington looks fantastic, and bravo with the Barolo. One of my favorite vacations ever (even though it involved my ex-wife) was staying three days in the town of Barolo. I love that wine.

On 12/13/2020 at 9:04 AM, South Austin said:

First time making it with white, and I read that it’s the more common style of coq au vin made in France. Americans know the dish as red-based because that’s what Julia Child’s introduced when she made French cooking popular in the U.S.

1. Happy Birthday, but I just turned 46 on Thursday, so GTFO with feeling old you whipper snapper.

2. The Wellington looks fantastic, and bravo with the Barolo. One of my favorite vacations ever (even though it involved my ex-wife) was staying three days in the town of Barolo. I love that wine.

IYKYK. Tomorrow night it’s on.

A58C4946-9C77-4B17-BBD5-6629292E1450.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2021 at 4:46 PM, NAVY said:

I call them El Paso because that's where my mom learned the technique. After the roux... mix browned ground beef, diced onions, jalapeños, hatch, tomatoes and grated cheddar in bowl. That's your filling. Let it sit awhile. Next you're going to spoon a couple oz of the filling into a yellow corn tortilla. Fry it in veg oil about 2-3 minutes per side.  

Frying does great things. The flavors permeate the tortillas, the peppers and onions get sweet while retaining their base and the cheese holds everything together. So damn good. I like to blast them with tobacco sauce to counter the sweet. My grandmother, who learned the technique from my mom, used shredded leftover pot roast for the meat. So fucking good. 

I've only been to two restaurants that have something similar: Nuevo Leon (closed) and Matt's. Matt's menu calls them Old Fashioned Tacos.

I've been making big batches of these since I was a teenager and my friends start drooling when I mention taco day coming up. 

Damn do miss Neuvo Leon.  I was a serious happy hour party machine back in the day and I brought them in some serious business to their little place on 7th street.  It became our new place after La Tapatia closed, and we ate at most every East side Mex place until we settled on Nuevo.  Rachel and Dan bootstrapped it, and as is always the case they set the hook with the Margarita.  Gloria one of the waitresses was the first person outside of my wife and I that knew my wife was Pregnant.  Just by the order of her Ice tea.  I always liked the fact that they put in parenthesis (allow 15 minutes) letting you know it was all from scratch.  

I made it my tradition to go there after Football games and spontaneously stand up and start singing the Eyes of Texas. Always fun to have so many other always join in!!!

I was pretty close with the family over time, trying to help them grow by putting a lot of my friends in their seats, and some business savvy.  The place on 7th was so small that I explained to Rachel that the one thing they REALLY needed to do, was get a Margarita in folks hands if they were waiting.  I pointed out at the folks seated at the tables, more than half were sitting there with food eaten simply taking space getting that second margarita.  Get the first drink in their hands and those tables turn a LOT faster, giving you a lot more services per sitting.  I was glad Rachel made bank on the property, but damn I miss the hell out of that place and the people.  

thanks for bringing back the quick memory NAVY