Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

11 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not sure where else to ask this but I’ve now had 3 batches of jalapeños that were like 3-4X hotter than normal. Made a batch of poppers today and there were several people (women and children) who had to tap out where normally it’s a non issue. S’goinon?

The pussification of America continues unabated!!

35 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

The pussification of America continues unabated!!

Don’t disagree with the pussification comment, but jalapeños are all about growing conditions; drier and hotter = hotter peppers.  I buy ‘em at the store, too, but it’s kinda like buying a sealed box of chocolates-you just don’t know what you’re getting.  I’ve tried several times to grow my own and experiment with water requirements, shade, etc. but the damned deer eat them right down to the dirt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn Draoi said:

Don’t disagree with the pussification comment, but jalapeños are all about growing conditions; drier and hotter = hotter peppers.  I buy ‘em at the store, too, but it’s kinda like buying a sealed box of chocolates-you just don’t know what you’re getting.  I’ve tried several times to grow my own and experiment with water requirements, shade, etc. but the damned deer eat them right down to the dirt.

I gotcha, was just joshing ya. I had same experience this year with my serranos. I have a very productive bush at home but the peppers, while really flavorful and tasty, aren’t not super spicy at all. Contrast that to the serranos my folks grew this year (sandy loam soil in Bastroo County), which are noticeably spicier. 

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

I gotcha, was just joshing ya. I had same experience this year with my serranos. I have a very productive bush at home but the peppers, while really flavorful and tasty, aren’t not super spicy at all. Contrast that to the serranos my folks grew this year (sandy loam soil in Bastroo County), which are noticeably spicier. 

Yeah, I’m sure the soil they’re grown in is a big factor, too, but figuring that out is way above my pay grade!

16 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not sure where else to ask this but I’ve now had 3 batches of jalapeños that were like 3-4X hotter than normal. Made a batch of poppers today and there were several people (women and children) who had to tap out where normally it’s a non issue. S’goinon?

I grow jalapeños and serranos in my garden every year…. The level of heat is wildly inconsistent, lol. I just assume it has to do with variations in the soil, rain, amount of sun, etc.

On 9/18/2021 at 7:58 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Are you pissing on them more or less than last year?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mdleast said:

I didn’t cook it but my wife made mdmost and I Juan in a Million inspired breakfast tacos for the 11am Tech game. Freakin’ delicious.

eda542fbffa47c7a0ff1fe5b6e5af17d.jpg

I had an acc schedule at one point that required me to transit from the rio grande campus to the riverside one in the morning. I had an hour and a half in between. My usual stop off was for a Don Juan and a couple cups of coffee. I got kinda pudgy that semester. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There was really nothing better when I had season tickets than a morning after a Horns win and a stop off at Juan In A Million to have some breakfast tacos and their coffee. That salsa they gave you took the coffee to another level. It was probably Sanka or Folgers but it tasted great with that salsa. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Somnio said:

I just cooked the greatest pasta in the history of the world.  I haven't plated it yet because the pasta is finishing cooking in the sauce, but I assure you it is delectable beyond words any mortal is capable of speaking.

20210925_194012.thumb.jpg.afb8c9bba1af92c8354c865114eb6a09.jpg

The fuck is in the sauce? 

15 hours ago, Somnio said:

I just cooked the greatest pasta in the history of the world.  I haven't plated it yet because the pasta is finishing cooking in the sauce, but I assure you it is delectable beyond words any mortal is capable of speaking.

20210925_194012.thumb.jpg.afb8c9bba1af92c8354c865114eb6a09.jpg

Bruh im Italian and had my Nonna’s homemade right off the boat stuff and I ain’t never seen shit like that 

• Like 1

i've done lamb kebabs and meatballs but this was my first try at lamb chops bc my mate got nuts at Costco by himself this weekend 🙄

served with a 'skinny' gratin and spinach salad and i don't quite have the hang of this thread bc i still didn't get a plated pic lol.

anyway, not bad for first try. mate was raving. slightly overcooked the lamb, i'll cut oven time about 2 mins next time. umm the potliquor was incredible, holy shit is rendered lamb fat rich 😛

20210927_194146.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Family wasn’t into the ribs two nights in a row so I turned the leftovers into some phenomenal bolognese with gnocchi. 

726E6D08-2ECD-4BF2-AC12-A1F537945EF3.jpeg

4776C07D-3A0B-4959-B910-FF12B45712D4.jpeg

BF88BE0A-9E75-4C01-856E-82B8EF77F068.jpeg

My Nonna used to make homemade with all of us grand kids! It was the best. She just passed this year. They are heavy on the stomach but gooooood! Good stuff. My mom (no pics assholes) makes a rib sauce that’s to die for

12 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Family wasn’t into the ribs two nights in a row so I turned the leftovers into some phenomenal bolognese with gnocchi. 

726E6D08-2ECD-4BF2-AC12-A1F537945EF3.jpeg

4776C07D-3A0B-4959-B910-FF12B45712D4.jpeg

BF88BE0A-9E75-4C01-856E-82B8EF77F068.jpeg

The ribs appear to be glazed in bbq sauce. Seems like that flavor wouldn't taste good in a red sauce/bolognese. Did the bbq sauce impact the flavor? 

Also, sorry for being pedantic, but that's waaaaaaay too much tomato for a bolognese. That's more of a red sauce with meat. Regardless, looks delicious. Would smash.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The ribs appear to be glazed in bbq sauce. Seems like that flavor wouldn't taste good in a red sauce/bolognese. Did the bbq sauce impact the flavor? 

Also, sorry for being pedantic, but that's waaaaaaay too much tomato for a bolognese. That's more of a red sauce with meat. Regardless, looks delicious. Would smash.  

What do you know?  You’re Irish!

😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

You're right, not technically a bolognese.  Yes there was BBQ sauce, yes I also thought it might be weird, but no - it was great. 

I cooked garlic and onion until they were soft, added the ribs taken off the bone, cooked a bit more with tomato paste, and then added crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, etc.  Totally off the cuff but came out fantastic.

• Like 1

haha about like me, i used a recipe the first couple of times but once i learned the ingredients i just started winging it. pretty much the same ingredients except instead of the sambal and siracha i keep a jar of the thai chili paste from Madam Ma'am's, i loooove that stuff. and i skip the hoisin just for the sugar content, i'll use honey if it needs to be sweeter but usually the peanut butter has enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1