Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Technically, shit I pretty much watched my dad cook. Happy Easter you heathens. 

49059-ED7-E16-A-4127-83-C8-F95447-C7-EC7

F155323-B-DF52-40-AF-B198-0-F1-D13090-A3

E4280121-7-BC6-4-CDB-B358-0215-A890-D7-B

9-A278-B0-E-0526-4-E4-F-8-C40-B9-DE09-AA

time for a cocktail  

30019691-8-FEC-45-E0-A552-61-E4-CF00-C7-

Καλό Πάσχα. Χριστός ΑνέστηX. 
Kaló Páscha. Christós Anésti

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I took another shot at lemon butter chicken. I still haven’t perfected it but every trial has been tasty. I’m not sure if I really need to put it in the oven. Maybe just cooking it on the stovetop would suffice. I either wind up burning my hand on the hot pan handle or burning the pot holder that I set on the handle to remind me that its hot. 

This time I just used chicken stock to deglaze the pan, no white wine. I was going to leave it at that but decided that it would be better to still add milk. This time I poured the sauce on top so it and the capers would show up. I also chopped and added the last of my fresh parsley. (Why does fresh parsley last so much longer in the fridge than fresh cilantro? There must be some chemical reason but I don’t know what it is.)

Not shown is some shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese that I added afterward. That wasn’t bad but I think grated is probably the way to go. Maybe I should just mix it into the sauce after taking it off the heat. Anyway, it’s still a work in progress. It’s a fun experiment, though.

3EFEFE60-2E2E-4A91-8A37-D9321B6C42DA.thumb.jpeg.b46919affa76aea90318067779708745.jpeg

This time I went with rice pilaf instead of pasta. I’m told it’s Armenian style. I learned it from a friend from Fresno who learned it from a friend who learned it from his Armenian grandma. I’m not sure what makes it Armenian other than after letting it simmer for 10 minutes you take off the lid cover the pot with paper towels, and replace the lid for the final 10 minutes. That absorbs the condensation and prevents it from dripping back down into the rice. I’ve seen some tv chef do the same thing and refer to it as Armenian style so that was some corroboration.

Anyway, browning the pasta in butter and olive oil:

E8C13BDE-2BEF-4090-80FC-1E5C01421828.thumb.jpeg.3d98b571a18f1f4a72742a1f7e23d194.jpeg 

Adding onions and a pinch of salt to make them sweat:

DEB1C0C7-3BB8-4279-AD47-BE7C2CBE04A1.thumb.jpeg.192565162bbc12951e1157b2b4df3ba8.jpeg

Adding garlic:

A06CB374-E3FE-4A40-B7E6-89F78AEEF0E1.thumb.jpeg.dbaed357f324699e60d76bede6db306c.jpeg

Adding 2 cups of rice and making sure it all gets coated with lipids:

BC041094-2AFF-4A3C-A4C1-918A79BFF6CE.thumb.jpeg.e88ca37fb9a58278fc402c40881f23cf.jpeg

I was low on long grain white rice so I used jasmine rice. Imagine brand chicken broth is pretty rich so I used 2 cups of that and 1 cup of water. If I was using something watery like College Inn then I would’ve just used three cups of stock/broth. Not shown is the adding of the broth, bringing it to a boil, reducing it to a simmer, or the pot with paper towels under the lid after 10 minutes. Nothing interesting about that. But it came out great. My rice cooker is a nice convenience if I’m busy but my little Dutch oven makes for a fine rice pot. The enameled surface prevents sticking and I think it would be a hassle to make pilaf in the rice cooker.

1777E763-7133-4109-924C-1C5EC7D2F192.thumb.jpeg.d59d9a2b92cabac6625250d934d9f2d4.jpeg

Someone in some thread, not sure if it was in this one or another one, asked about making Mexican rice and someone else responded that you do it pilaf style. I agree with that. Just omit the pasta, add some tomato sauce to your stock, and I’d say add just a pinch of cumin and cayenne. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Rice A Roni!

When I was a young man, I ate a lot of Rice-A-Roni. Long grain and wild rice was my go to. I hadn’t had any in years but on a lark one day several months ago I bought a box. That’s actually what I used as a side the first time I took a shot at lemon butter chicken. I forgot that you don’t want to use as much oil as the box recommends because then it comes out way too oily. (Despite not making Kraft macaroni and cheese in decades I still remember that you don’t want to use nearly as much butter as the box calls for.)

In the 60’s as a child my mom would serve guests Rice A Roni the San Francisco treat. I believe the wild rice variety, adding to the elegance. These were meals probably accompanied by a pickled peach cottage cheese salad.

I lived in San Francisco in the late 90’s. Never saw Rice a Roni in any restaurants.

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That is a god damned fine looking sandwich right there. Should be cross-posted to the sandwich thread for archival purposes.

So a while back Randall's had a damn good deal on bone in choice grade rib roasts. I don't recall the specific price but think that it was in the $6/lb range IIRC.  Anyways, picked up a 7 bone in the wrap and portioned it out into 3 and 4 bone sections, wrapped in cellophane and butcher paper and off to the freezer.

Took it out of the deep freeze a few days ago and let it start defrosting.  Was still a very cold inside today and a bit firm, but not rock hard. Threw in the oven on a convection roast setting with the temp probe in and set to 120 with oven temp at 225 probably around 2:30 or so. Montreal steak seasoning and that was it. Let that sucker roll rest of the day, took the kids to practice, went for a drive, and came back around 6:30 and the probe temp had been hit and the oven turned off and meat coasted to ~135 internal. A bit more than I would have typically preferred, but this was all pretty hands off while working. Pulled out and cranked up oven to 500 for the crust. Sliced some left over baked potatoes and wife make some collards. Pretty low impact meal situation for a Wednesday night dinner.  Sliced up a bunch for sandwiches this weekend.

F0091-AB1-5-D91-46-F1-9-A29-8-AB29898-B0'

48-F3-CA61-34-C7-49-B8-8325-1-CF30-B8197 

What sauce? 

15 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Wanted fajitas in Europe. I have a good butcher and picked up some skirt, but I had to slice it for fajitas myself at home. Marinade is lime juice, vegetable oil, garlic, cumin, ancho and regular chili powder, salt, pepper.  I reserved some of the marinade to toss the vegetables for cooking. Slammed, went hard with fresh guacamole.

image.thumb.jpeg.1e6475d160529ef303e7102a6ad1682f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cc9e5ef6b11325a1819b61d0dd3f43bb.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ecfc72097db9a97897f6360a48f9a0ac.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5325653afb703e79226b8b445d68e61b.jpeg

Looks good. No cilantro at all?

I have a hard time going through my cilantro before it goes bad. I’m going to try freezing some and see how that works. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I have a hard time going through my cilantro before it goes bad. I’m going to try freezing some and see how that works. 

Cilantro is in the guacamole. Sometimes I like pico de gallo and sometimes guacamole. I am kind of a fajita purist and don’t pile on sour cream and cheese. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Did you make the tortillas or is that something you find in the grocery stores there?

You can get a passable flour version in the store here. That’s changed in the last five years or so. Warm from the grill and they do fine, especially since I didn’t make them. 

This is a pain. Get a small jar. Put about an inch of water in jar. Put in cilantro bunch after removing any bindings. Cover bunch with a plastic grocery bag. Put in refrigerator. Should keep a couple weeks.

15 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Oh hell yes. Crawfish sauce recipe please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crawfish Cream Sauce:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup onion

1/2 bell pepper

1/4 celery

couple big dashes of Worcestershire sauce

cup of heavy cream

12 ounces of crawfish tails

clove of minced garlic

2 tsp of Cajun seasoning (Tony's or Slap Ya Mamma)

1 tsp of butter

Handful of grated Parmesan 

favorite hot sauce to taste - I used Momofuku's chili garlic crunch oil.  That shit is addicting.  

Black Pepper to taste

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery with the Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and butter on medium high heat for a couple minutes until tender

Add heavy cream, crawfish tails, seasonings and let it reduce a little bit. (maybe 2-3 minutes) Toss in the Parmesan and it will tighten up quite a bit. Taste and add hot sauce to your heat preference.  I would top with parsley but I grabbed cilantro like an idiot.  Its quick and easy.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll add that I'm cooking more with cod these days because the prices for some of my other favorite fish -- snapper, halibut, seabass -- are jacked up.  Cod lacks some of the flavor -- hence the marinate and accompanying roasted fennel or some kind of vegetable -- but it's a great source of protein and omegas, and considerably cheaper. 

On 5/1/2022 at 9:26 PM, Texzilla58 said:

This is a pain. Get a small jar. Put about an inch of water in jar. Put in cilantro bunch after removing any bindings. Cover bunch with a plastic grocery bag. Put in refrigerator. Should keep a couple weeks.

Cilantro is $.30. Who gives a shit if it goes bad? It's not work the fridge space. Unless your fridge looks like this

I Have A Texas Bachelor Pad Fridge. 

5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Cilantro is $.30.

Not in my grocery store, it isn’t. And it’s not about the cost. I don’t like wasting food. As a single guy I hate the amount of food I can’t consume before it goes bad. Food waste is bad and environmentally unfriendly. I grow habaneros and thyme in pots but I don’t have a garden and I don’t compost. I won’t feel bad about trying to find ways to be more efficient just for the sake of efficiency.

Oh, also, I drink better beer. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck