Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Same.  Hunters we lease to chase horns.  So does my son.  So I use our extended-season tags primarily for does (which taste better anyway).  Sous vide & cast iron seared steaks are a staple.  As are medallions (can cook these any number of ways).  Ground for patties and spaghetti/bolognese.  Breakfast sausage always a hit.  Bacon/jalapeno/cream cheese poppers never go out of style.  Then you have chili (green & red) and the whole spectrum of sausage options.  This season I'm going to do a crown roast.

I did a whole roasted neck last year, and shredded it to make deshebrada tacos -- it was good, but tasted a bit strong.  I liked roasting the neck, I just need to do something else with the meat as an end-dish.

Definitely love the simple, seared steaks.  And yeah, medallions are versatile.  Made lots of breakfast sausage, that's a staple.  I may have some jalapeno cheese summer sausage made next time.  And of course, chili.  My mom used to make a GREAT venison carne guisada -- I tried to replicate, and it didn't work.  I may have her come over and make a batch so I can watch and learn.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I did a whole roasted neck last year, and shredded it to make deshebrada tacos -- it was good, but tasted a bit strong.  I liked roasting the neck, I just need to do something else with the meat as an end-dish.

Definitely love the simple, seared steaks.  And yeah, medallions are versatile.  Made lots of breakfast sausage, that's a staple.  I may have some jalapeno cheese summer sausage made next time.  And of course, chili.  My mom used to make a GREAT venison carne guisada -- I tried to replicate, and it didn't work.  I may have her come over and make a batch so I can watch and learn.

Try a gremolata.  Substitute your medallions for the typical beef tenderloin.  Sear, slice across the middle, cover, and serve.  Even better on a crustini with horseradish.

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Try a gremolata.  Substitute your medallions for the typical beef tenderloin.  Sear, slice across the middle, cover, and serve.  Even better on a crustini with horseradish.

Someone did the crostini with medium rare thin slices at deer camp workday this spring.  It was really f'n good.  I may try that.  Again, though - lotsa good choices for backstrap, I'm looking for stuff to do with the rest still.  I need to dig into the freezer soon, and get creative.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Someone did the crostini with medium rare thin slices at deer camp workday this spring.  It was really f'n good.  I may try that.  Again, though - lotsa good choices for backstrap, I'm looking for stuff to do with the rest still.  I need to dig into the freezer soon, and get creative.

Jerky.  Lots and lots of jerky.  It's easy.  Healthy.  And great to share with friends/family.  

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Jerky.  Lots and lots of jerky.  It's easy.  Healthy.  And great to share with friends/family.  

I made a batch last season -- I liked it, but I was the only one.  I may try a flavored version, though -- teryaki, cajun spice, stuff like that.  I really need to do that, and report back.

Yep.  I thought I was ready to serve then shit happened.  Wife didn't help trying to negotiate with the terrorist.  I know better now.

It happens.  Last weekend it was just me and the kids.  I thought I’d treat myself to some lamb since I’m the only one around here who loves lamb.  Check on the rack outside and internal temp was 111*.  Go inside to work on the kids’ food, one kid hits the other, crying ensues.... and next thing you know you’re running back outside and seeing 149* on the meat thermo.  Didn’t care. I ate that entire rack with extreme prejudice and loved every single bite.
28976451817_d6987f1cb5_z.jpg
28976451047_05a52fe827_z.jpg

Ha...I know the feeling brother.  I tell my wife that all the time.

Think of all we could accomplish if we could just get rid of our families.

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Jerky is a pretty obvious choice, and I definitely recommend the bolognese that someone mentioned previously. I've done this Dean Fearing buffalo tenderloin with venison before, and it turned out great.

As for more creative ideas for the rest of the deer that I've had success with: meatballs (with some added fat), a bourguignon-style stew with shredded meat, and shepherd's pie.

Cross posted from the sous vide thread. Watermelon radish and cucumber salad, zucchini spirals with fresh pesto from garden, butter basted hailbut sous vide. Matched up with 2012 Kongsgaard Chardonnay. Did not suck. 

61001460_B249_43_FD_80_B8_DE9_AC817_EE53

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 3

Cut some sirloin into chunks. Seasoned with a blend of herbs, red pepper, salt. Browned. Then added half an onion, and 4 carrots in chunks. Deglazed pan with the veggies, added a coupla cups of beef stock. Splash of wine. Simmered for 4 hours.

Took the liquid, added slurry to thicken and make a thicker sauce. Sliced some white potatoes and fried them to semi crisp. Put the slices in the bottom of the bowl, topped with beef, carrots, and gravy, fresh parsley.

df3089b0f830fa14c1c1a13c5ef638d5.jpg

• Like 3

00100d_PORTRAIT_00100_BURST2018081421270

In an effort to be healthier, I made a batch of vegetarian stew. Roasted eggplant and sauteed mushrooms are the meat of the stew, with roasted tomatoes and some onions/garlic in the base. Prep each of the pieces separately, then simmer together for a few minutes. I topped with some cotija cheese and herbs de provence. Low calorie, but definitely filling.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

Recipe?  Been trying out a few different hot sauce/salsa recipes.  Looks fucking good.

1 cup peppers

1 2/3 cups white vinegar

1 tsp salt

1 clove garlic

1/2 tsp olive oil

1/2 tsp Worcestershire

Open windows, boil all of the above for 20-30 minutes.  Liquify in blender.  You can add water or vinegar to blender if you need to thicken it.

• Like 1

What are y’all doing for Hatch season?  I’ve only seen it mentioned in passing in various threads.  We love those chiles and enjoy trying all the stuff that you can find available at this time of year.  I like to roast my own (10-20lbs total, selected from whichever market has the best selection, about 50-50 “mild” and “hot”) and then freeze them to use throughout the year.

First batch of “hot” this year:

43355968794_871e66d72f_z.jpg

30206364678_44758d770b_z.jpg

CM makes killer Hatch-marinated chicken and fresh hot Hatch sausages:

30206363808_96e232911d_z.jpg

43356340814_3b28e8f56c_z.jpg

Mrs. Sola (no pics) makes decadent quesadillas with the Hatch chicken:

30206387868_da0fdb8abf_z.jpg

And the Hatch tamale stuffed chicken is amazing when roasted over oak:

30206363468_a89b7b7347_z.jpg

43355966804_46ca13769c_z.jpg

30206362898_da4fbd7e92_z.jpg

Any other Hatch fans out there?

Edited by solamente73
English is harder than cooking
  • Like 9

Made stacked enchiladas. Used the canned Hatch green Chile sauce. Filled with spinach, mushrooms (sautéed in fajita seasoning), green chiles, and Monterrey jack. More sauce on top, extra mushrooms, and cheese. Drizzled with crema and cilantro.

Then, grilled corn (again, cheated - frozen from Trader Joe’s) made street corn style: Tapatio, crema, queso fresco, and cilantro.

1738bcd7379bc1c45b59439b4933a7b2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Rib day.

14ca4c67ad450d24420c012466b107ee.jpg

I'd eat that

On 8/17/2018 at 7:36 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Y’all aint living right unless you married you a Cajun wife. 

x2nf48.jpg

2w3oump.jpg

Basically Mr B’s recipe in New Orleans with some scratch French bread. I love my wife. 

I'd eat that

3 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Went Japanese tonight:
Tonkatsu, korokke (potato croquet), and cold soba with dipping sauce0f9f77fedc1f34a3b327e222b5e41169.jpg

I'd eat that

1 hour ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

If I mentally adjust for the horrific white balance, that looks pretty damn good. It looks like you added some salt over the top - is that correct? I really like some really flakey sea salt on the table for chops and steaks...what are you using?

All images courtesy of apple. No salt over the top in those pics. But not opposed. 

Felt like cooking this weekend since being sober gives you a lot of extra time on your hands.  HEB had pork loin on sale for $1.49/lb - there weren't any decent ones in the case so the butcher brought me a 8.5lb'er from the back. Decided to make this Tuscan pork roast recipe:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/8643-tuscan-style-roast-pork-with-garlic-and-rosemary-arista

Didn't get all the steps documented like making the infused olive oil and the reverse sear at the end, but the result was good.  Would have been great had I not cooked it about 10 minutes too long - I overestimated the amount of time it would take a roast that big to get to 130.  Served with baked sweet potatoes mashed with maple syrup, lemon zest and balsamic vinegar, and sauteed asparagus.

F7_D52113_6_BF0_44_C7_B5_B1_16882_EE06_A

5521_F677_F4_B4_4_C50_8991_E4_ABA259_DBD

7_AE6_DB0_C_1_FCC_4_C5_E_8_EBC_20_A321_A

F7_D52113_6_BF0_44_C7_B5_B1_16882_EE06_A

990_C3_D75_8_F9_B_4550_933_C_4_A29811_FF

• Like 6