Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, dad said:

Never eaten bone marrow before. Grilled it. It was pretty good. Works great as a topping to another meat maybe one that may tend to dry out so this buttery spread helps. Served with pork butt here.

Where'd you pick up the bones?

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Someone fucked up something really bad.  Or you’re just trying to get laid.  Or both.  Respect.

We are both are on work calls so this bitch with the BBQ will have to wait til to 10pm tonight.

Edited by Washpark

22 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Why do they always require you to plate your entries on Kale?

What else is kale good for?

(I'm kidding. I actually like kale. I have no idea. It wasn't a requirement here but we just did it because it's kind of the accepted norm -- and probably required in other cookoffs.)

What else is kale good for?

(I'm kidding. I actually like kale. I have no idea. It wasn't a requirement here but we just did it because it's kind of the accepted norm -- and probably required in other cookoffs.)
Garnish is for Kansas City faggots.

Ribs look great tho

This was a while back, but we make balls every couple of months.  These were with pork and beef, but I've been doing more veal and beef lately.

20160731_153732_zpsf4jqgag1.jpg

Saute garlic and onion in olive oil, add meat, parsley, parmesan, lots of eggs (4 per lb of meat), half and half, red pepper, salt, pepper, and then bread crumbs to bind.

20160731_165034_zpsvywghefq.jpg.

Ball them up, and bake at 375 for 20 min or so.

20160731_172920_zpsaeam6ykm.jpg

While the balls are cooking make some sauce.  Saute garlic, onions in olive oil (add salt and pepper), dump in some wine and burn off the booze, then add a few cans of crushed tomatoes (I usually peel and chop some roma tomatoes for a little chunkier sauce), add oregano, basil and parsley and let it cook.  When the balls come out of the oven I toss them into the pot of sauce and let is all hang out for a bit until we're ready to serve.

20160731_163708_zpsn63su9or.jpg

Top the finished product with more parmesan and some fresh basil and you're good to go.

20160731_181702_zpsdxdcqqjv.jpg

• Like 6

On 4/16/2018 at 11:22 AM, Jimbaround said:

20160731_181702_zpsdxdcqqjv.jpg

Felt inspired by this last night and made our own balls and sauce.  Stuffed ours with some fresh mozzarella.  It's amazing how simple a pasta sauce can be to make and infinitely better than anything in a jar.  Would recommend using fresh basil and adding in a handful of chopped Roma tomatoes - I think that was a really important part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueGreySky said:

Felt inspired by this last night and made our own balls and sauce.  Stuffed ours with some fresh mozzarella.  It's amazing how simple a pasta sauce can be to make and infinitely better than anything in a jar.  Would recommend using fresh basil and adding in a handful of chopped Roma tomatoes - I think that was a really important part.

Well played.  The pics aren't showing up for me though.  :D

How long do you let your sauces cook for? I usually make mine on a Sunday and let the sauce cook for a few hours if I can, but I’ve never added freshly chopped tomatoes. At what point do you add them in?

47 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

How long do you let your sauces cook for? I usually make mine on a Sunday and let the sauce cook for a few hours if I can, but I’ve never added freshly chopped tomatoes. At what point do you add them in?

took the approach i do with my chili - stages. (all these are approximations)

• sauteed the onion and garlic for about 10 mins
  • took another 10 mins or so to reduce the wine
  • after adding the crushed tomatos (28 oz can) cooked for another 15-20
  • added the spices, s&p and cooked for another 20 or so
  • added the fresh cut tomatoes and finished for 15 mins or so
    • if it ever got too thin during any step you could add some broth or water.

all in all it probably cooked for 90mins.  

• Like 2

You can skip the fresh tomatoes element if you are using canned whole San Marzanos and just letting them break apart in the sauce.  Texture will be what you are looking for.  I never use crushed though, since they aren’t ever available as DSOP or whatever.

Edited by scottsins
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, scottsins said:

You can skip the fresh tomatoes element if you are using canned whole San Marzanos and just letting them break apart in the sauce.  Texture will be what you are looking for.  I never use crushed though, since they aren’t ever available as DSOP SM or whatever.

+1. Not a fan of fresh tomatoes in red sauce. The canned organic Muir Glen whole peeled and the crushed tomatoes are also very good.