Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

3 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Baking soda bath per Alton Brown recipe. The 2nd pan I left in oven a bit longer and they were darker.

I've never tried it with baking soda.  I bought food grade lye online and it gives you that ultra smooth texture and it gets dark brown very quickly.  Everyone says to be careful with the lye, but I haven't had any issues.  I just neutralize it with some white vinegar and pour it down the kitchen sink with the water running.  

I bought this recipe book and it has some great recipes:  https://www.amazon.com/Pretzel-Making-Home-Andrea-Slonecker/dp/1452109648

22 hours ago, HouTex said:

I've never tried it with baking soda.  I bought food grade lye online and it gives you that ultra smooth texture and it gets dark brown very quickly.  Everyone says to be careful with the lye, but I haven't had any issues.  I just neutralize it with some white vinegar and pour it down the kitchen sink with the water running.  

I bought this recipe book and it has some great recipes:  https://www.amazon.com/Pretzel-Making-Home-Andrea-Slonecker/dp/1452109648

mix it with chlorine and unclog your shower.

This hot Hatch green chile cheeseburger might give me a hard time tomorrow morning, but it has nothing on what Texas is gonna do to sooner ass tomorrow:45073737222_14423082d0_z.jpg

Did this one a little differently.  Roasted and chopped hot Hatch green chiles, sharp ceddar, 80/20, Fiesta brand chipotle hamburger seasoning, and egg as a binder.  Melted sharp white cheddar on top.  Buttered buns.  Really hit the spot.

• Like 4

image.png

The German food from @Brisketexan and @PantsTent inspired me to see if I could fix my rinder rouladen recipe, and I was super pleased with the results. For those sadly impoverished souls who might not be familiar, it's basically a pickle wrapped in bacon wrapped in mustard slathered meat that gets braised, then served with brown gravy.

It tastes like pot roast, but if pot roast was more deliciously complex and tasted better. Also there's pickle, which is completely non-optional. Removing it is like putting beans in chili.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

42535100_245963832709698_522492508173729

Sous vide chuck roast with an herb crust and au jus, honey-glazed carrots, and a salad (and a shitty Instagram filter).

Despite the questionable photography choices, this was really, really good. There's a great recipe from Chefsteps that I used. I've made sous vide chuck roasts before, but trimming it up and reassembling it made a huge difference to the final product: it was absolutely prime rib-like in taste and texture. Their idea of using the juices from the bag to make an au jus was also a great one, and I'll probably continue to use it when I make pan sauces in the future (and might save it to freeze).

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

42535100_245963832709698_522492508173729

Sous vide chuck roast with an herb crust and au jus, honey-glazed carrots, and a salad (and a shitty Instagram filter).

Despite the questionable photography choices, this was really, really good. There's a great recipe from Chefsteps that I used. I've made sous vide chuck roasts before, but trimming it up and reassembling it made a huge difference to the final product: it was absolutely prime rib-like in taste and texture. Their idea of using the juices from the bag to make an au jus was also a great one, and I'll probably continue to use it when I make pan sauces in the future (and might save it to freeze).

pos rep when i recharge my e peen. 

20 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Why does imgur suck so bad?

no shit.  i used photobucket for a long time because its what i was familiar with and it worked (cue up the comments, I know, i'm old), but then i saw that they started imposing watermarks on posted photos, so i switched over to imugr, and it sucks worse.  anyone got any reccs for an easy hosting site for food pron pics?  i'm sure there is a discussion about that elsewhere, but thought i'd ask here anyway

Here's what I do, and it seems to work every time...

1. Take photo of food with iPhone camera.

2. Open Tapa.

3. Find thread in which to place food pron. 

4. Click on the "+" when replying, and then the "picture" symbol.

5. Find desired pron in photo library

6. Select "Best."

7. Profit?

Just now, Dutch said:

Here's what I do, and it seems to work every time...

1. Take photo of food with iPhone camera.

2. Open Tapa.

3. Find thread in which to place food pron. 

4. Click on the "+" when replying, and then the "picture" symbol.

5. Find desired pron in photo library

6. Select "Best."

7. Profit?

does tapa scrub the metadata (e.g., gps data)?