Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

^^ i've always wanted to try cabbage rolls like that, but with tomato sauce on top (that's how I remember them being served to me when i was a kid).  recipe?

Yeah, you are correct that it should be cooked in a tomato broth. We didn't have any sauce and didn't have time to make a grocery run with the boys' bball practice looming. Recipe is wife's family recipe.  I'll try to post it later.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Recipe?

here is the one I used as the basis:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/coq-au-riesling

what I did different:

-fried up a package of cubed pancetta on the front end

-deglazed the pan with cognac prior to adding wine

-used an alsaitian pinot gris instead of reisling, more like 2 cups

-doubled the carrots and celery

-added italian parsley

• Like 3

The pic; came out nicely al dente. 

I'm admittedly still learning about cooking (and this may be common knowledge to Surly), but watching a Marco Pierre White video where he said to cook the pasta 1-2 minutes less than what the box said changed my pasta game immeasurably for the better. Slightly undercooking and then allowing the pasta to coast to al dente while in the colander works very well.

47 minutes ago, Dutch said:

The pic; came out nicely al dente. 

I'm admittedly still learning about cooking (and this may be common knowledge to Surly), but watching a Marco Pierre White video where he said to cook the pasta 1-2 minutes less than what the box said changed my pasta game immeasurably for the better. Slightly undercooking and then allowing the pasta to coast to al dente while in the colander works very well.

I too am just learning.  In fact, I was just watching old Mario Batali YouTube videos all morning.

I could not agree more on pulling the pasta 1-2 minutes before it’s supposed to be done being a game changer for me too.

The other two game changers (for Italian):

2)  Finishing the pasta with the sauce in the pan.  I think a lot of people just pour the sauce over the top and serve, which I always did for a number of years.  Letting it all come together for a few minutes makes for a huge improvement.  Also, coasts your pasta to perfect if you’ve pulled it early enough.

3)  Not over-saucing the pastas.  The best I’ve made have been almost a glaze or barely dressed like you might do a salad.  The worst I’ve made, and pretty much how I’ve know it most of my life, has been swimming in sauce.  Letting the pasta be the star takes everything to 11.

As you mentioned, the rest of Surly may already know these things, but since I’ve started those 3 things, my pasta game has greatly improved. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I too am just learning.  In fact, I was just watching old Mario Batali YouTube videos all morning.

I could not agree more on pulling the pasta 1-2 minutes before it’s supposed to be done being a game changer for me too.

The other two game changers (for Italian):

2)  Finishing the pasta with the sauce in the pan.  I think a lot of people just pour the sauce over the top and serve, which I always did for a number of years.  Letting it all come together for a few minutes makes for a huge improvement.  Also, coasts your pasta to perfect if you’ve pulled it early enough.

3)  Not over-saucing the pastas.  The best I’ve made have been almost a glaze or barely dressed like you might do a salad.  The worst I’ve made, and pretty much how I’ve know it most of my life, has been swimming in sauce.  Letting the pasta be the star takes everything to 11.

As you mentioned, the rest of Surly may already know these things, but since I’ve started those 3 things, my pasta game has greatly improved. 

All of what you said.  The finishing the pasta in a pan with the sauce and a bit of the pasta water blew my mind the first time I tried it.

Sliders on the menu for dinner.  Went home at lunch to make patties and had some leftover carnitas in the fridge which would probably gone out with the trash tomorrow - nope.  Finely chopped 3/4 pound of carnitas and added it to 1.5 pounds of ground chuck.   I'll have to wait until this evening to determine if my experiment works.

i completely spaced on getting a comparable pic in the dutch oven (was cooking for 6 so had to do substantially more) like jack straw's above but i made the coq au vin blanc with reisling.  came out tasty.  will probably go a little lighter on onion and celery next time.  like jack, i rendered pancetta as the first step and deglazed the pan with wine before adding veggies.  also made gougeres for beforehand.  instead of just making them for munching, i plated them with a dipping sauce that was a creme fraiche based garlic-onion-dill-lemon-white pepper-salt concoction i just invented on the fly.

XVuMBEvndotijfmoKwhVw-lsy36MdKut4rr-j_pl

ftAc1H3gbwGg9_xNxKMkeR5mfM9y9tctzpNTtZjN

E4To8wuoijzC_EmyrpR2nbkLMGOHQ-fiMh0T3UPK

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 3:40 PM, sidis said:

i completely spaced on getting a comparable pic in the dutch oven (was cooking for 6 so had to do substantially more) like jack straw's above but i made the coq au vin blanc with reisling.  came out tasty.  will probably go a little lighter on onion and celery next time.  like jack, i rendered pancetta as the first step and deglazed the pan with wine before adding veggies.  also made gougeres for beforehand.  instead of just making them for munching, i plated them with a dipping sauce that was a creme fraiche based garlic-onion-dill-lemon-white pepper-salt concoction i just invented on the fly.

i cant see any of these pics. can everyone else?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

Leftovers - red beans, rice, etouffee and pork schnitzel.

2018-12-20-Leftovers.jpg

Shit, that's a bowl of Texas regional cuisine right there.  I may be inspired to serve a meal of cajun, tex-mex, country, and German fare, to go full Texas.  Like, etouffee over rice, a cheese enchilada with chili gravy, schnitzel, and a biscuit with sausage gravy. 

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit, that's a bowl of Texas regional cuisine right there.  I may be inspired to serve a meal of cajun, tex-mex, country, and German fare, to go full Texas.  Like, etouffee over rice, a cheese enchilada with chili gravy, schnitzel, and a biscuit with sausage gravy. 

So what I had breakfast this morning?

Hickory.  Smoked.  Rack.  Of.  Pork.

46399080812_fdf334878a_z.jpg

46399080302_01a2db4601_z.jpg

Not pictured: smoked au ju, scalloped taters, grilled asparagus.  For the uninitiated, think pork prime rib.  Get these while you can at Costco; I usually only find them during TG, Xmas, and (this year) Easter.

Edited by solamente73
  • Like 8

Not pictured: smoked au ju, scalloped taters, grilled asparagus.  For the uninitiated, think pork prime rib.  Get these while you can at Costco; I usually only find them during TG, Xmas, and (this year) Easter.
A good rack of pork is a gotdamn American treasure.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
7 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Read more  

A good rack of pork is a gotdamn American treasure.

This is God's truth. IMO a smoked bone in rack of pork exceeds a smoked prime rib.

(but a straight up oven cooked prime rib exceeds both). 

• Like 2

No pics cause don’t show good any way  

Neapolitan ragu.

2lbs meat. 1/2 pork, beef. NOT ground meat. Brown meat in stockpot. Take meat out of pot. 1 onion sauté for a couple of minutes and add some olive oil if needed. Deglaze with 1-1.5 cups of Cabernet. Add 2 cans 28oz crushed tomatoes. 4oz of tomato paste. Salt/pepper plus a little red pepper flakes. 

Put fresh basil and fresh parsley in. I like lots of basil. (If you use dried, just poke an ice pick in your eye)  

Cook with lid at very low temps. (Just bubble slowly.) for 2.5 hours. Take meat out and let cool. Put in 1/4 cup of real Parmesan cheese in. (If stuff in can just kill your self.)Keep sauce on. Chop up meat and put back in. 

Another 2 hrs cook. 

Use with a rigatoni pasta, Cooke correctly and finished in a pan. 

I usually get whatever beef and pork is on sale. Best to me is pork country ribs and cheap steak.