Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

That’s a new one for me man. Hat tip. 

Russ & Daughters in NYC does Pastrami Salmon but I’m doing it differently with both a wet and dry cure and then actually smoking it.

It’s an experiment/project for me as well but only one way to find out if I have something great or not. TBD but I’ll let y’all know.
  • Like 3

Caught a lot of salmonids in my day but never seen one swimming around in water like that.
Seriously, looking forward to reading how this turns out.

I’ll be applying the dry cure tonight. 19f0020e5aff6d82d3927f3dcae87438.jpg
9ddbdceb14ad71027b4bd32bb461078a.jpg

Cheap beef ribs smoking now as well as a small brisket pastrami that I’ve been curing for 8 days now.

dce4e0c13cbce37365b3c6ce2c0a8e62.jpg
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, CenTXpony said:

Any chance you can share the whereabouts for the morels?

When I say found, I mean literally. In the forest a few miles from my house in the inland Northwest. 

Last year was the first time I had heard about them. Found a couple honey holes and for about a month it is pretty fun. Problem is they basically ruin every other mushroom for me. 

When I say found, I mean literally. In the forest a few miles from my house in the inland Northwest. 
Last year was the first time I had heard about them. Found a couple honey holes and for about a month it is pretty fun. Problem is they basically ruin every other mushroom for me. 

Haha I figured you were foraging and figured they were found around here! Envious!

7 minutes ago, CenTXpony said:

Haha I figured you were foraging and figured they were found around here! Envious!

This was a couple hours on Saturday afternoon. This is all new to me but it is pretty fun. And the flavors are ridiculous. 

20190511-160659.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

That’s cool as hell but I’d be worried about safety.  How do you know what’s poison or not?

I had the same concerns. But they are extremely unique and nothing else really looks like them. 

OK.  Can somebody provide a full accounting of what is going on in CenTex's avatar please. 

I can change it if you’d like... had a change of plans tonight. Bison Lamb Burger will be tomorrow.

I realize no one probably cares about this but I started on half sour pickles and fermented garlic honey today.
dca835ad292a4dfd78d7723b30c68259.jpg
077cdcb923b58f55fb5db718ebb3ff65.jpg
  • Like 1

Oh man, they're delicious.  Like others have said, I don't know of any other mushroom that resembles them in appearance.  Here in the midwest, they appear about the same time as the lilacs bloom and the walleye start biting.  Takes some moisture and warm days to really get them up.  A regular meal for us is pan-fried walleye and morels.  Kind of a sign that winter's over.  They're located in shitty places though- wherever the ticks and spiders are.  I laughed when the one poster asked where they were found- there are guys here who will take their best friend fishing, but not mushrooming.  My favorite way to cook them is to dip them in egg wash and seasoned cracker crumbs and fry them.  My friend's wife makes some sort of a crab & cheese mixture and stuffs the mushrooms with that.  We're talking almost instant shits, those are so rich.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

So that makes them the non-poisonous variety?  I don't follow.  I obviously don't know shit about foraging.

Morels are not poisonous. And they don't look like anything that is. It's the only mushroom I would dare pick in the wild because other than those I don't know shit about shit. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 10:43 PM, pops said:

We have some on our land, but the weather didn't cooperate enough this year. A local store was selling them for $60 per pound, and people were happily paying that. (And yes I know how insane that sounds.)

1174f3d.jpg

prime NY strips and herbed goat cheese stuffed portobellos for our anniversary. Not pictured is the salad my wife made... gotta have some greens, right?

Not captured in this picture is that this was maybe the best steak I’ve ever had, definitely the best I’ve ever made. Also the mushroom is one of my favorite things on the planet, and it was my first time making it myself. That recipe comes from my dad - something he’s had in the menu at his restaurant for like 35 years. The cook book he made with the restaurant’s dishes is one of my prized possessions.

• Like 5

You shroom experts, got a question for ya. My brother ordered some kits to grow his own mushrooms, one of which is the Lion's Mane variety. I read a little about them and they are said to have a meaty flavor. Any particular meat that they taste like? Any suggestions on preparing them? FWIW, I have only had portobello, button, oyster and shiitake, to my knowledge.

Edited by bamachine

On 5/23/2019 at 8:33 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

1174f3d.jpg

prime NY strips and herbed goat cheese stuffed portobellos for our anniversary. Not pictured is the salad my wife made... gotta have some greens, right?

Not captured in this picture is that this was maybe the best steak I’ve ever had, definitely the best I’ve ever made. Also the mushroom is one of my favorite things on the planet, and it was my first time making it myself. That recipe comes from my dad - something he’s had in the menu at his restaurant for like 35 years. The cook book he made with the restaurant’s dishes is one of my prized possessions.

Is the mushroom recipe a secret or will you share?

42 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

That piece of bacon kind of looks like Great Britain.

Just like GB might soon be, it is also all alone, without some other bacon shaped countries to back it up. Soon we will have the formation of the BRA(Bacon Republican Army).