Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 6/22/2019 at 7:32 PM, Errestaurants said:

Made some fried chicken sandwiches. Jalapeno slaw, dill & yogurt spread. Sides were a plum & tomato salad with burrata, mint & basil. cab0c26a5f0574eb9e6e944684a4d853.jpga11dd2b2f4b2183efcfd5d1e40ad3586.jpg5b4062cad8ff9a8d6a499b048419164f.jpg6377811362037c5c866415f851318eb2.jpgb6d2908f19ae6e16f210f5b1ee650287.jpg3f728bb323f0792ce31d14d15b0beba3.jpgc997afa0a2ef4b37d98e7c10cb3a6bce.jpg6d318322fe399a614dbf79a1bb2a1cee.jpg6d3d5aa45f05e350d6ee0e50acb37d57.jpg26a765d5571b446db4e0c72e739cd141.jpg2fee82b97e6c35bfd68b78068eeeb52e.jpg09cfbe17a5f4eb6f79431b7dc2688a79.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Pos rep but also replying because this board needs more of this. 

• Like 2

Buddy and I wanted to make a decent meal but we didn’t want to go to the store during the Astros game last night, so we worked with what we had: eggplant, tomatoes, cheese, and other various shit. We breaded the eggplant, then put that on top of the sauce, then added tomato and 2 kinds of cheese, then baked. Wasn’t bad at all

107204fba3a4b557053c7e25c85d3a54.jpg

61509ed34f97ec6c9b81b29909082301.jpg

86c23ed4ba79a03f2290abb60af7f5ca.jpg

dda5cac21705e20f9142983fe6409a38.jpg

• Like 9

Have the weekend alone , and was going to order some pizza and wings. Went to HEB instead bought a 12 pack, wings, sauce and pizza dough and  fixings. Any excuse to grill is okay with me. Marinated the wings and topped the pizza, used charcoal so let it settle some. Grilled some hot wings  perfectly and pizza pretty good, for a first time grilling a pizza drunk. I googled how to grill a pizza but there were too many steps - homemaking dough and shit...ain't nobody got time for that. Just brushed the grill with olive oil and cooked it for around 20 mins and it was fine. Bottom crust burned a bit, but it still tasted great. Wings were amazing. 

jl1277.jpg

Edited by hundredTT
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Picked the garden so the wife made a curried vegetable dish with tomatoes, okra and eggplant. I made peach icecream.

Spoiler

562e297813b233212ccadbe3e9650070.jpgddf2b1c45ba5a4faded88a2285c15a28.jpg844988f4e5ac4d34197340dbc75527f8.jpgc5045b81d72facccb92ce97a42cd60c4.jpg70daeb5ebe37ab43b9c32d14d6938108.jpge42826350c2c83bf5e6231c9d8e136df.jpgacce29e6e16f4e7a346c9b5094030ae8.jpgcd6137d4bec68a73f5d8070d1f0fce27.jpg1bb910d3c7e5b28c33a58fe6b615e780.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

got a recipe for that peach ice cream?

On 6/29/2019 at 6:47 PM, Kennythetiger said:

Recipe on the hush puppies?

Dang just saw this Kenny. sorry brother. the recipe is my Father in Laws. he dont measure nothing. He is a East Texas Redneck.

About

4 cups cornmeal- heaping

2 cups-flour-heaping

2 Tablespoons baking powder-heaping

3 large eggs

1 sweet onion--noonday

3  to 4 jalapenos depending on how hot you want it or 1/2 cup pickled

2 to 3 cups buttermilk---start with 2 and add more if to dry. we spoon the batter into the hot grease. 

couple teaspoons of salt to 1 tablespoon. fry one hushpuppy to taste.

• Like 1

My MIL made a freezer of peach ice cream for the 4th, it is my favorite home made ice cream by far. It wasn’t as good as my moms but it was damn good. My mom always picked fresh peaches from our trees and made the ice cream all summer long. 

@Errestaurants what freezer did you use?  I have looked at several new fangeld units but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. A few years ago I bought  one of those White Mountain freezers, biggest piece of shit ever. Not sure if it’s a one off or not but it sucks ass making ice cream.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

My MIL made a freezer of peach ice cream for the 4th, it is my favorite home made ice cream by far. It wasn’t as good as my moms but it was damn good. My mom always picked fresh peaches from our trees and made the ice cream all summer long. 

@Errestaurants what freezer did you use?  I have looked at several new fangeld units but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. A few years ago I bought  one of those White Mountain freezers, biggest piece of shit ever. Not sure if it’s a one off or not but it sucks ass making ice cream.

Mine is a cuisinart. It works real good and is easy to work. Just make sure the bowl is frozen solid. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-30BC-Indulgence-2-Quart-Automatic/

i use these to store my ice cream 

https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Tight-Fitting-Stack-Friendly-Sweet-Pistachio/dp/B00JRXQ686/ref=sr_1_8?crid=FWMYKS907TOX&keywords=ice.+cream+containers&qid=1562638827&s=gateway&sprefix=Ice.+Ream+%2Caps%2C361&sr=8-8

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I've had the Freezer that erestaurants mentioned.  And it's good, but having to freeze the bowl is the weak point.  There's a step up machine from Cuisinart with a built in compressor that is idiot proof.  It's only 1.5 quart, but you can do as many batches back to back as you like. 

Link to Machine

Also, the Ultimate Ice Cream Book is full of excellent recipes.

Link to Book

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, RMac5 said:

When I was in law school I bought a hand-crank ice cream maker, because that's what my grandma had, by god.  It was used, and more expensive than a new electric one.  I'll bet I've made close to 100 gallons of homemade ice cream in the last 15 years.  We use any family/friend gathering as an excuse to crank.  I have a plain vanilla recipe, and a former high school teacher gave me a recipe for peach ice cream, which uses completely different ingredients than my vanilla recipe.  We've experimented with peach, apricot, strawberry, cherry, and raspberry.  Everyone still likes peach the best, except for me.  My personal favorite was strawberry mixed with chocolate shavings, which was a damn mess.  I shaved the chocolate bars with a cheese grater, making a mess the likes of which I had never seen before.  Would like to try pineapple sometime, and maybe salted caramel.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Thanks for the tips, just ordered the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker that the article mentioned in the recipe link. Looks like it has good reviews, time will tell.

With any of these freezers that use cooling sources that can't be replenished during the ice cream freezing process, you'll increase your chances of success dramatically if you take the time to chill your custard/mixed ingredients in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before starting the freezing process.  Any help you can give the machine in goes a long way, especially if you cooked the ingredients.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

With any of these freezers that use cooling sources that can't be replenished during the ice cream freezing process, you'll increase your chances of success dramatically if you take the time to chill your custard/mixed ingredients in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before starting the freezing process.  Any help you can give the machine in goes a long way, especially if you cooked the ingredients.

This. I put my custard in the freezer and chill to around 35 degrees. Takes about an hour or so.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 2:05 PM, CenTXpony said:

b11328b444d39236df735d12f752e6c3.jpg

Smoked chicken salad on a toasted everything bagel. With minced celery, almonds, smoked cherries, and shallots. Few other ingredients in there as well.

^ Would love to make this! 

spacer.png

Been liking making homemade  pizza recently, much cheaper too haha. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 9:21 PM, Errestaurants said:

for what it is worth, Stella Parks (BraveTart) recommends the ICE-21 (which is what I have) but I assume the ICE 30 is basically the same from looking them up

i just found out that you can order additional bowls for these guys, which is generally my issue - want to make multiple sets at once.

also want to second those storage containers, while you can use an old yogurt container those guys are really great and work well on top of being really cheap and making you look awesome when you pull them out of the freezer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

for what it is worth, Stella Parks (BraveTart) recommends the ICE-21 (which is what I have) but I assume the ICE 30 is basically the same from looking them up

i just found out that you can order additional bowls for these guys, which is generally my issue - want to make multiple sets at once.

also want to second those storage containers, while you can use an old yogurt container those guys are really great and work well on top of being really cheap and making you look awesome when you pull them out of the freezer.

Yes sir. A good easy to use machine. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 8:58 AM, Kennythetiger said:

When I was in law school I bought a hand-crank ice cream maker, because that's what my grandma had, by god.  It was used, and more expensive than a new electric one.  I'll bet I've made close to 100 gallons of homemade ice cream in the last 15 years.  We use any family/friend gathering as an excuse to crank.  I have a plain vanilla recipe, and a former high school teacher gave me a recipe for peach ice cream, which uses completely different ingredients than my vanilla recipe.  We've experimented with peach, apricot, strawberry, cherry, and raspberry.  Everyone still likes peach the best, except for me.  My personal favorite was strawberry mixed with chocolate shavings, which was a damn mess.  I shaved the chocolate bars with a cheese grater, making a mess the likes of which I had never seen before.  Would like to try pineapple sometime, and maybe salted caramel.  

always looking for more recipes to make, mind sharing these guys?

On 7/9/2019 at 2:08 PM, dcbc said:

ive started letting it sit overnight if i have the time. makes it easy to run home and spin it at lunch or first thing in the AM if i need it for a friday night

So not really cooking , but homemade sushi. I only get this stuff from 2 places inLA- Fish King in Glendale or Santa Monica Seafood in SM. This is from Fish King. Pick out the sushi grade fish and they will sashimi it for you. I do all the assembly. So good.
629966b7ae91006c032e2a008e8ef2f6.jpg484da943e8b8f8a0e616a85460e11008.jpgd285aeb1125081aac79ab3b3caa4097d.jpg

• Like 5