Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Looks great. But if that's tortilla sized I think I would need three. 

That’s a burrito tortilla. I had two. Totally worth it. With one cast iron skillet, I was churning out a pizza every 5 minutes so it’s fast as shit. We just hung out at the kitchen island and ate pizza as it came out of the oven. It was great.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

You got a link or a recipe or something???

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/extra-crispy-bar-style-tortilla-pizza-recipe.html

I used the burrito size tortillas and plain unseasoned Pomi finely diced tomatoes that are in the box.  

Heat up a cast iron skillet that you've rubbed with olive oil. Turn it down to low-medium.  Throw in a tortilla. Spread the tomatoes edge to edge. Lightly spread some shredded mozzarella (don't use the fresh stuff) and some shredded Parmesan. Make sure the cheese hangs over the edges to get that good crust. Put on some toppings if you want.  Sprinkle some coarse sea salt on it. Drizzle some good olive oil on it. Let it sit there on the burner for a minute. Transfer to the oven that has the broiler set on high. Watch it, it'll take about 1-3 minutes. Sprinkle some oregano on top. Carefully use a spatula to free the crusty cheese edges. Put on a cutting board. Cut. Eat.  If you want to do a second, wipe it clean, rub some fresh olive on it, and repeat.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 2

Just now, BHMCruiser said:

There is no such thing as "cauliflower steaks." Get out of here with that nonsense.

Pretty common terminology when you cut the cauliflower in the vertical plane, but I can appreciate the response.

Also, I gave it to your mom in the vertical plane after we finished desert.  

• Like 3

That looks amazing! Several years ago our Kroger was doing a remodel and cleared out their freezers and were marking items way low prior to relocating them. We picked up some duck breasts for an eye-brow raising low price. At first, the spouse was like, "what are you doing?" and then after I had taken them home and cooked them, he was like, "we have to go back and get more." Too late, alas, but at least I had squirreled away several more in the freezer. Cooked to just the right temp, it has wonderful flavor.

Oh, and Party_Taco: great sandwich!

If it tastes as good as it looks, I bet it did! The recipe I have has shallots and white wine in it. You're supposed to strain it to make it smooth but when the family is in a whirlwind, I often just serve it lumpy. I may try yours as we usually have it with salmon and it does perk it up quite a bit. Thanks for the tips!

On 8/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, Errestaurants said:

New York strips. Taters with hatch peppers and a summer salad

Nice work. Were those hatch peppers fresh? Anyone know if they're in HEB on the off chance it's open? Trying to plan what to make this week and might do a green chili pork if they're in the store

Nice work. Were those hatch peppers fresh? Anyone know if they're in HEB on the off chance it's open? Trying to plan what to make this week and might do a green chili pork if they're in the store

Yes. The HEB at San Felipe and Fountainview had Hatch chiles last weekend.

12 hours ago, irishtexan said:

They're from last season. At central market over the weekend they started moving in the roasters so they may have them this weekend.

I didn't take a picture, but for lunch I toasted some slices of sourdough.  We had some hatch guacamole and hatch smoked bacon from HEB that I cooked in the air fryer with a healthy dusting of Montana Mex sweet seasoning and put on top of the toast.

montana-mex-sweet-seasoned-sea-salt-0018

They had similar samples yesterday calling it hatch BLT.  Not really a BLT, but a solid lunch food for sure

Edited by hopkinsnhorns
  • Like 1

They fired up the Chile roasters up here in Amarillo 2-3 weeks go, wife buys some every Saturday while grocery shopping. Hatch chile season means summers bout over, first cool front with rain is 30-40 days out. Seems like mid September is when we finally turn the fucking heat corner in the Panhandle.