Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

8 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Haven't posted in here in a bit. Been busy cooking like crazy during the pandemic and expanding my skill set. Read the Noma book on fermentation so made some kraut and kimchi. Working on black garlic and looking to dive into vinegars and garum. 

But I was gifted some pork trotters at the farmers market so had to make some tonkotsu ramen. Luckily I had most everything required for it in stock to go all in on it. 

spacer.png

See hand saw? Yeah, 4 of these legs had to be cut up. My jerking arm is still sore. But anyways, boiled these for 20 hours with garlic, mushrooms, leeks, ginger, onion, chicken bones, some pork belly until the broth was thick and milky (heh). 

Didn't have noodles so decided to make some. Never made pasta but thought I'd give it a shot. 

spacer.png

They actually turned out better than expected and ready to make more for stir frys. 

I had some more pork belly so made pork chasu

spacer.png

Marinated some eggs in the left over chasu liquid, threw some mushrooms, kimchi, green onion, garlic, and bok choy and came out with this:

spacer.png

Overall very happy with it. 

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Out-fucking-standing work. Did I say Fuck? Cuz FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

How does one marinade with mesquite?

image.thumb.png.6d2807b6ca00164d224a81f2a4f35f8d.png
My kids will eat anything marinated in this stuff, so it’s used frequently for chicken/pork. I’m sure it’s low brow for some, but it works for them. I used their Montreal Steak Seasoning on the cauliflower just for the record.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 2

damn.  i would kill for a week of mini ham sandwiches on King's Hawaiian from the leftover holiday ham.  and then the beans and rice from the hambone.  props.

Made a ham myself at Easter. And I’m not ashamed to say that the hambone beans later this week are my favorite part of the whole deal.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:10 AM, NateHitch said:

This thread is a constant reminder that I need to up my game

This thread is starting to make me think we need a separate thread for different categories.  Love everyone's work, but with all of us cooking (and documenting) more than ever right now, its gettin cluttered up in the bitch.  I mean, at least the Italian category could have its own thread.  Italian Shit I've Cooked Lately?  Anyone...anyone?

I got two fully cooked vacuum sealed chickens thawing out in the refrigerator, got the from a local BBQ place a while back that was selling their extras in the evening cheap.  I want to use the sous vide to reheat them but I am unsure what temp to use.  I hear 140 a lot around here, but is that too high?

17 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Haven't posted in here in a bit. Been busy cooking like crazy during the pandemic and expanding my skill set. Read the Noma book on fermentation so made some kraut and kimchi. Working on black garlic and looking to dive into vinegars and garum. 

But I was gifted some pork trotters at the farmers market so had to make some tonkotsu ramen. Luckily I had most everything required for it in stock to go all in on it. 

spacer.png

See hand saw? Yeah, 4 of these legs had to be cut up. My jerking arm is still sore. But anyways, boiled these for 20 hours with garlic, mushrooms, leeks, ginger, onion, chicken bones, some pork belly until the broth was thick and milky (heh). 

Didn't have noodles so decided to make some. Never made pasta but thought I'd give it a shot. 

spacer.png

They actually turned out better than expected and ready to make more for stir frys. 

I had some more pork belly so made pork chashu

spacer.png

Marinated some eggs in the left over chashu liquid, threw some mushrooms, kimchi, green onion, garlic, and bok choy and came out with this:

spacer.png

Other shit I've made lately:

Cheeze-its, cause why the fuck not? 

spacer.png

Jerk chicken with coconut rice and black beans

spacer.png

Pork, sage, and broccoli rabe pasta

spacer.png

Pork tenderloin wrapped in ham and stuffed with kale, pecans, garlic and rosemary

spacer.png

Kneel before Zod.

• Like 2

I got two fully cooked vacuum sealed chickens thawing out in the refrigerator, got the from a local BBQ place a while back that was selling their extras in the evening cheap.  I want to use the sous vide to reheat them but I am unsure what temp to use.  I hear 140 a lot around here, but is that too high?

Keep it under 150 and you should be fine.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:52 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had some more pork belly so made pork chashu

spacer.png

Marinated some eggs in the left over chashu liquid, threw some mushrooms, kimchi, green onion, garlic, and bok choy and came out with this:

spacer.png

Other shit I've made lately:

Cheeze-its, cause why the fuck not? 

spacer.png

Jerk chicken with coconut rice and black beans

spacer.png

Pork, sage, and broccoli rabe pasta

spacer.png

Pork tenderloin wrapped in ham and stuffed with kale, pecans, garlic and rosemary

spacer.png

New leader in the clubhouse right there.  Very, very nicely done!

7 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Check Out This Fucking Sandwich:

spacer.png

homemade Guinness braised corned beef, turkey, spicy kraut, swiss, dressing

I don’t know why but for some reason, “check out this fucking sandwich” coming from you, with that pic, in this context, made me lmfao.  Either the corona is getting to me or it’s getting to you...or both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did you let them sit in buttermilk beforehand? I always make a mixture of buttermilk and seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne) and let them sit overnight but I'm not sure if it does anything significant, just do it because that's the way I was taught

Doesn’t chik fil a use pickle juice to brine?

21 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Doesn’t chik fil a use pickle juice to brine?

it's actually MSG

Ingredients

Chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breast meat nuggets, salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika, enriched bleached flour [with malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid], sugar, salt, monosodium glutamate, nonfat milk, leavening [baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate], spice, soybean oil, color [paprika], pasteurized nonfat milk, pasteurized egg, fully refined peanut oil [with dimethylpolysiloxane {an anti-foam agent} added]).

Keep getting emails from Doris Metropolitan. Their bread service is amazing and they sent one out a few days ago for fresh challah. Couldn’t resist, so made some nutella stuffed Challah French toast (and some non-stuffed ones too for balance). Turned out absolutely amazing and the kids loved it.

stuffed ones are double thickness and in foreground. Nonstuffed smaller thickness and in background 

a211edf2919d83544fe4be3fa92dc44c.jpg

0c2bd0415531a2a1d0da04c0b3a8286c.jpg

Edited by Fat Bastard
  • Like 4

Looks awesome. I wish I had the Nick’s recipe, and I’d probably make it by the ton.

Papere (grandpa) and Mr. Nicotre were good friends; Mr. Nicotre always said Papere’s boudin was the best he ever had, and Papere would say the same thing of Mr. Nicotre’s.

this is my Papere’s recipe...and it’s damn good if i do say so myself. i’m pretty fucking happy with this batch...a true taste of home living in CenTex.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Papere (grandpa) and Mr. Nicotre were good friends; Mr. Nicotre always said Papere’s boudin was the best he ever had, and Papere would say the same thing of Mr. Nicotre’s.

this is my Papere’s recipe...and it’s damn good if i do say so myself. i’m pretty fucking happy with this batch...a true taste of home living in CenTex.

Recipe not showing up. 

Recipe not showing up. 

8 lb pork roast
2 lbs poring or calf liver...here’s where i deviate: i use chicken liver instead of pig of calf.
3 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
4 bunches green onion, chopped
6 large cloves of garlic, minced
salt
Chachere’s or your Cajun seasoning of choice
black pepper
white pepper
Cayenne pepper
8-10 cups of cooked long grain rice
1/2 lb of casings

cut the pork roast up in chunks, boil until barely done. after that, add the chicken livers, yellow onions and 3 bunches of green onions to the same water and boil until done.

reserve the water.

grind the meat and liver with the onions together, not too fine as you don’t want a paste but neither too coarse as you still have to stuff it.

Put grind in large roaster, place back on stove top, and add the remaining green onions and parsley and rice all the while seasoning to taste and adding the liquid your reserved until it’s the right consistency. as far as what’s the right consistency, you’ll have to figure that out on your own...not too wet but not too dry either. it really is a “feel” thing.

let cool to room temp and then get your ass busy stuffing that mix into casings. when finished, put the boudin in a pot of barely simmering salted water....about 180 sets...for 20 mins. after that, you’re done.

you’re welcome.
  • Like 9

Very nice. Rough approximations of seasons quantity?

swear to god, to taste.

of course cook your rice in saltwater, but everything else is seasoning free until it’s time to mix. so add, check consistency, taste, add, taste, check consistency, etc. all the rice and meat will gradually soak up the seasoning as you mix, so you’ll have to do it repeatedly.

you can always add but you can’t take away once added.... which you all well-know.

Very nice. Rough approximations of seasons quantity?

swear to god, to taste.

of course cook your rice in saltwater, but everything else is seasoning free until it’s time to mix. so add, check consistency, taste, add, taste, check consistency, etc. all the rice and meat will gradually soak up the seasoning as you mix, so you’ll have to do it repeatedly.

you can always add but you can’t take away once added.... which you all well-know.