Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t remember either recipe calling for palm oil but if they did, we substituted canola for high heat cooking

Ah, yea I’ve been wanting to make it and traditionally red palm oil is added towards the end. Never seen it in stores though.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, Anastasis said:

Taco meat, Velveeta shreds mexican cheese, corn tortillas, enchilada sauce (or much much better, make a batch of tex mex gravy, e.g. https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/essence-of-tex-mex.html)

Made these tonight with beef HT gravy. Great rec on the Velveeta Shreds, hadn’t used it before, permanent fixture now. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 8:26 PM, Anastasis said:

Enchiladas tonight.

Cheese:

4215244-D-D34-E-4-C7-F-9-FEA-44-D341-F74

Chicken:

1583-EB6-A-BE47-4-A94-8-EAE-5985-C316866

Beef (and beef):

FFD6-A104-A132-4-BBE-87-C6-36-F64-E69-F4

11 hours ago, ss13 said:

Made these tonight with beef HT gravy. Great rec on the Velveeta Shreds, hadn’t used it before, permanent fixture now. 

Making them tonight.  I'll try to report back...if I don't have too much tequila.  Wish me luck.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, Anastasis said:

Taco meat, Velveeta shreds mexican cheese, corn tortillas, enchilada sauce (or much much better, make a batch of tex mex gravy, e.g. https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/essence-of-tex-mex.html

Soften tortillas by lightly cooking with oil in a skillet. 

Pour some enchilada sauce or gravy in the bottom of the pan.

Stuff softened tortilla generously with cheese, roll, and place seam down until pan is filled.

Pour some enchilada sauce/gravy over the top, making sure to spread sauce all over the enchiladas so no bare areas are present.

Cover generously with cheese, top with some taco meat.

Beef variation: When rolling tortilla, place a small amount of cheese down, then taco meat on top and roll.  Ran out of the velveeta so had to use some regular kraft mexican, you can see how it is kinda stringy and oily in spots where it separates, compared to the processed cheese. I had a bunch of left over taco meat so I put that on top but it was overkill.  

Chicken variation: rotisserie chicken meat picked and chopped, heat some green sauce, mix chicken with green sauce. Roll, cover with green echilada sauce and monterey jack cheese.  This batch was also topped with a cilantro lime crema which took them to 11.  Probably some of the best chicken echiladas I've made. HEB fucked up the curbside order, so we had to use plain kraft mexican shredded cheese and didnt have any mj.  

The cheese filled have the right balance of cheese, meat and tortilla.  Wife wanted a variety, so I did the beef filling, but honestly would just prefer to have two trays of cheese. But you know how it is.  Undefeated.

Thanks for the rec man.  Turned out pretty damn good.  Took your advice and just did one batch of chicken and one batch of cheese.  Thankfully, my wife didn't need the variety.  Mostly followed your recipe, but made a slight tweak here and there.  Like you, Whole Foods fucked up our order too so we ran out of velveeta shreds and had to use regular for the topping.

RinAOH.jpg

d7CppK.jpg

AlDVBt.jpg

HUQpE7.jpg

Tried to do margaritas in the blender, but that just never really works out all that well.

wIOufP.jpg

Plated with rice and beans...the chicken was the best.  I usually prefer cheese when I'm in a restaurant, but these chicken ones slammed.

Vc6git.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Fried up some Crappie that we caught down off the dock. Made some cole slaw and tartar sauce. Put in a slab in the corral for my scale. Cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden.1f09ca5e4be5294f86908a37a3bb937c.jpg9a3ff41f6a6612c3dd751157594ece43.jpge8fe540f7bb0b6406bbb93f26d756eed.jpge1dd554339e50968f7953a5177222bf0.jpg471526d69250a7361f9c99d00485d147.jpge34797ef405dfcd51684d66546fd4aaa.jpge4aa307e9a38714dcb62053f4cbcfc1d.jpgb0e644aadd45ffce17ec6fc91492e79a.jpg90ebaf164675b2aa62c6ad3bf6bec1ac.jpgd51cdfb04ec6a6628ba1598d7bb400a8.jpg0347f5eb3f03c9a22fa81596181a5d04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I want a lake garage when I grow up. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Fried up some Crappie that we caught down off the dock. Made some cole slaw and tartar sauce. Put in a slab in the corral for my scale. Cucumbers and tomatoes from the garden.1f09ca5e4be5294f86908a37a3bb937c.jpg9a3ff41f6a6612c3dd751157594ece43.jpge8fe540f7bb0b6406bbb93f26d756eed.jpge1dd554339e50968f7953a5177222bf0.jpg471526d69250a7361f9c99d00485d147.jpge34797ef405dfcd51684d66546fd4aaa.jpge4aa307e9a38714dcb62053f4cbcfc1d.jpgb0e644aadd45ffce17ec6fc91492e79a.jpg90ebaf164675b2aa62c6ad3bf6bec1ac.jpgd51cdfb04ec6a6628ba1598d7bb400a8.jpg0347f5eb3f03c9a22fa81596181a5d04.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wait, so your ranch is on a lake?  Or are those two different places?

Also, props to the wife for trying to get the "cowboy boots with yoga shorts" look started.  Lulz

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 8:26 PM, Anastasis said:

Enchiladas tonight.

Cheese:

4215244-D-D34-E-4-C7-F-9-FEA-44-D341-F74

Chicken:

1583-EB6-A-BE47-4-A94-8-EAE-5985-C316866

Beef (and beef):

FFD6-A104-A132-4-BBE-87-C6-36-F64-E69-F4

Alright, I’ve been on a goddamn mission since I saw these posted to make them myself. Bought Robb Walsh’s Tex Mex cookbook to really get the gravy bit down even. I have to say, I just used regular thickly shredded Kroger mexican cheese bc the velveeta wasnt available, but goddamn it turned out great. Used two pans, one with taco meat and one without, and i have to say the one without taco meat was my favorite. Felt there was just too much salt with all the cheese/sauce/meat on the ones covered in ground beef. YMMV though 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Alright, I’ve been on a goddamn mission since I saw these posted to make them myself. Bought Robb Walsh’s Tex Mex cookbook to really get the gravy bit down even. I have to say, I just used regular thickly shredded Kroger mexican cheese bc the velveeta wasnt available, but goddamn it turned out great. Used two pans, one with taco meat and one without, and i have to say the one without taco meat was my favorite. Felt there was just too much salt with all the cheese/sauce/meat on the ones covered in ground beef. YMMV though 

you rec the cookbook too? how is it

1 hour ago, NoName said:

you rec the cookbook too? how is it

It’s a really neat cookbook. There’s lots of Tex-mex history included as well which I’m into so I enjoy that. I basically followed his enchilada recipe along with the other poster’s steps here (more or less the same) and they turned out great. I imagine it will be a great resource to double check some things that I’ve made several times but have always been missing something, as well as give me some ideas for stuff I haven’t made before. Also lots of recipes from places like ninfa’s, el fenix, etc (old school big time restaurants). I found it lightly used on Amazon for like $10 - well worth the price. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

It’s a really neat cookbook. There’s lots of Tex-mex history included as well which I’m into so I enjoy that. I basically followed his enchilada recipe along with the other poster’s steps here (more or less the same) and they turned out great. I imagine it will be a great resource to double check some things that I’ve made several times but have always been missing something, as well as give me some ideas for stuff I haven’t made before. Also lots of recipes from places like ninfa’s, el fenix, etc (old school big time restaurants). I found it lightly used on Amazon for like $10 - well worth the price. 

I have it as well and it is pretty great. Just the history stuff makes it worth reading. 

On 6/15/2020 at 11:10 PM, Gourmand said:

I whipped up this for the wife and myself tonight.

Korean glazed pork chops, horseradish cheddar mashed potatoes, and fennel apple carrot slaw.

Big hit.
3b67492a632b6e91c7aa380477a47b70.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Looks outstanding.  Could you post the recipe sometime?

4 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Turkey and sweet potato nachos for something a bit “lighter”:
d6ea3ec37c654d17a64ab2ba6d2c02be.jpg

I gotta tell ya, nachos have been a godsend during this covid thing.  Seems there's always something laying around I can throw together, as long as I've got some cheese and corn chips on hand.  Have made some pretty damn good concoctions of it.  Looks great.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Looks outstanding.  Could you post the recipe sometime?

I didn't follow a written recipe but it's something like this....

For the marinade (you can tweak these amounts to your taste, there's no wrong answer)

• 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp fish sauce 
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp red chili garlic sauce
  • 1 tsp sriracha (or as much as you like)
  • 1 tsp minced ginger
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp honey

Whisk all ingredients in a bowl and pour marinade over (2-4) bone-in pork chops. Let chill for at least 30 minutes or a few hours making sure that each chop is coated generously. Once the chops have marinated, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a dollop of olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat, remove pork from marinade and add to skillet, browning each side 3-4 min. Set aside each chop as needed. Once you've browned them all, put them back in the skillet or a separate baking dish and pour remaining marinade over chops. Roast for additional 10 minutes or so or until cooked to about 145-150 degrees.

For the slaw (prepare ahead of time if possible) :

• 1/2 head of green or purple cabbage, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 golden delicious or honey crisp apple, cored and thinly sliced
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and grated
  • 1 green onion, chopped
  • 1 small bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup mayo
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 2 tbsp white wine vinegar

Put the mayo, sour cream, and vinegar in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk until all ingredients are combined well. Add vegetables and toss thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper to taste. P

For the mashed potatoes:

• 4-6 medium sized red potatoes (or yukon gold if you prefer), halved or quartered
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1 tbsp grated horseradish
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Fill a large pot with water, add potatoes, season with salt, and bring to a boil. Boil the potatoes until fork tender, drain, add the remaining ingredients to the pot and mash to your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Add more butter, salt, and sour cream if the flavor is flat. 

Serve pork chops over mashed potatoes with slaw on the side and garnish with chopped parsley, chopped cilantro, or finely chopped fennel fronds. 

• Like 6

Thank you.  Very much.
My pleasure, take whatever liberties you prefer to tweak it. It was really me just grabbing stuff out of my pantry. If you have to grab any ingredients from the store, like fish sauce (imo a great and underrated ingredient), I suggest getting some gojuchang sauce as well. That shit is the next sriracha. So good.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:43 PM, Gourmand said:

Meatballs in firecracker sauce over jasmine rice with roasted green beans. Who knew mayo, sour cream, soy and sriracha could make such a delicious sauce? 1811fe40c959b640e9d60befe46899d1.jpg

Hello Fresh? Because I made the exact meal last week.

• Like 2

I love it. We do 2 weeks a month to get fresh ideas. I really haven’t had a bad meal with them.
Agreed, my only issue is if I forget to set my menu the default choices tend to be ones we've had many times previously. (Figgy pork again?! I like it but Id rather branch out).

One of the best flavor combos they introduced me to that I never would have thought of is roasted sweet potatoes+roasted red bell peppers+feta cheese. Delicious and super easy.

No pictures, because it was the ugliest damned thing I've ever seen in my life... but my wife just cooked me the most unbefuckinglievably delicious roast I have ever had, bar none.

Slathered in harissa (paste made of serranos, garlic paste, carraway, coriander, cumin, olive oil, and a dash of rose petals) and then slow roasted all day, and served on a stew of carrots, peppers, onions, and potatoes. Looked like Tammy Faye Bakker's gym towel when she was done, but HO-LEE-FUK it was tasty.

• Like 2