Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 7/8/2020 at 9:03 AM, Kennythetiger said:

Mind posting Grandma's recipe?  

It's the five ingredients. Pre cooked/shredded chicken and Monterey Jack rolled into the tortilla (corn, white, softened) then the chicken soup/green chile mix (heated in pot) poured over the top, with another layer of cheese.  Heat 350 for 25-30 minutes. 

I added cumin and salt to the chicken before the roll. Also some Cholula and medium salsa to the soup mix.  

Bueno comfort food. 

• Like 1

Great idea!  Something to pass the time during a pandemic.  Got about 4 pounds of choice flank from Costco.  Beef jerky time.
I've seen some cut against the grain and some cut with the grain.  Decided whynotboth.gif.  Slightly freezing beforehand makes them so much easier to slice thin...
98pYO8.jpg
A couple different types of marinade that consisted of just a bunch of shit I had on hand.  One spicy...
LSQ6AH.jpg
And one regular...
0Q3Msk.jpg
Spicy with grain in one bag, against in another...
a39ORG.jpg
Regular with grain in one bag, against in the other.  Ended up leaving them sit for about 36 hours...
pyLZfb.jpg
Laid out on racks.  These are the against grain...
ToZf2m.jpg
And here's with the grain...
WMVu2S.jpg
Into the oven at 150* for about 8 hours...
30mZko.jpg
L-R against grain regular, with grain regular, with grain spicy, against grain spicy.  I think I prefer with the grain spicy, but all 4 slammed.
Which cut did you prefer, with or against?

15 minutes ago, Spur08 said:
21 hours ago, Landomatic said:
Great idea!  Something to pass the time during a pandemic.  Got about 4 pounds of choice flank from Costco.  Beef jerky time.
I've seen some cut against the grain and some cut with the grain.  Decided whynotboth.gif.  Slightly freezing beforehand makes them so much easier to slice thin...
98pYO8.jpg
A couple different types of marinade that consisted of just a bunch of shit I had on hand.  One spicy...
LSQ6AH.jpg
And one regular...
0Q3Msk.jpg
Spicy with grain in one bag, against in another...
a39ORG.jpg
Regular with grain in one bag, against in the other.  Ended up leaving them sit for about 36 hours...
pyLZfb.jpg
Laid out on racks.  These are the against grain...
ToZf2m.jpg
And here's with the grain...
WMVu2S.jpg
Into the oven at 150* for about 8 hours...
30mZko.jpg
L-R against grain regular, with grain regular, with grain spicy, against grain spicy.  I think I prefer with the grain spicy, but all 4 slammed.

Read more  

Which cut did you prefer, with or against?

I think if I do it again, I'll go with on all of it.  It was easier to cut it thinner and the end result just chews and handles and feels more jerky-like than the against.

• Like 1

Daughter got her ass kicked by a 55 lb yellowfin last week.  So last night, we enjoyed the fruits of her labor: quick grilled steaks (to med rare) topped with fresh mango salsa, smashed potatoes crisped with kosher salt, and a salad from Trader Joe's (because my wife won't touch a plate without SOMETHING from TJ's on it -- she's obsessed).

Tuna smashed and went hard.

5cadaae4717c26400fc656ef4d946948.jpg

• Like 5

Cross posting, but first go on my vision kamado grill with a pork tenderloin. Would’ve loved a chipotle lingonberry sauce or something but it stood on its own just fine. Will have to plan ahead and make a nice sauce next time. 

8B2C0F10-13A3-419B-AB37-780768FE46EE.jpeg

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Like 2

Did two racks of baby backs. First one I did dry, 4 parts course ground pepper to one part kosher salt. Dumped more pepper on at the end trying to obscure the sight of meat. Second rack I did a brown sugar rub, with salt pepper, chili powder and whatever else. Glazed with stubbs sweet heat at the end. Both turned out damn good but there's something about the simplicity of salt and an overabundance of pepper that just works. That's my go to for brisket and beef ribs, first time trying on pork ribs but it was the crowd favorite. 3335eff4975310f5f7b87280146ca2b8.jpgf431cf3597adb245eb3341cb5a086c98.jpg501eb02b02c05db5c0f59b6946f63729.jpg

• Like 7

Apologies - Was a little hung over earlier when posting.

1) Coconut shrimp with ginger dipping sauce, loaded potato and avocado field salad

2) Fried Rockfish sandwich with Aleppo honey-mustard sauce, spicy relish and lunch fixings

3) Dayboat scallops on roasted pesto veggies with garlic fries

All of these are taking leftovers and churching the fuck out of them, which has become my favorite COVID hobby.

• Like 3

Just got a ceramic egg grill/smoker and decided I needed to break it in this weekend. I went with a couple racks of ribs and a pork butt that I shredded up for sandwiches. As intimidating as smoking meat seemed, this smoker made it so freaking easy and it tasted awesome. Definitely not bad for a first time. 

A351EBC9-C7E4-4F02-B3B1-72CCB4D6A46C.jpeg

433C5493-2097-4CA1-941D-124F41A0ED41.jpeg

824618E5-3D05-4427-80E3-5AB4E5AF27E2.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Awesome!  What’s the new boat?

29 foot express cruiser.  Needed something safe to do during this fucking pandemic.  We no longer go to restaurants, bars, vacations, shopping, movies, etc.  So, boating was about the only thing we could come up with that we thought we'd enjoy.  Loving it so far.

• Like 1