Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Wife was out so I cooked steak for me and the dog. 3# bone in ribeye with roasted potatoes and a Shiner.

I’m dumb... why do I keep getting a red highlights when I tried to insert an image url? 

Edited by Archer

19 hours ago, Archer said:

Wife was out so I cooked steak for me and the dog. 3# bone in ribeye with roasted potatoes and a Shiner.

I’m dumb... why do I keep getting a red highlights when I tried to insert an image url? 

Because pics suck on this software? 🤷‍♂

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Gonna need some details on that one @Jack Straw

ok, so the ribollita is super easy.  from what i was reading about it, it sounds like one of those "every family has their own version" dishes.  maybe a better fall dish than summer, but i just got back from vacation and needed something at least semi-healthy (hey vegetables). i used the NYT recipe - link below, as my starting point and adjusted to what looked and sounded right to me - 

-used 1 cup of the beans and added a diced white potato in the place of the other cup of the beans

-2 large carrots instead of 1

-used sourdough bread

-used a 28 oz can of san marzanos instead of 15 oz

-sprinkled red pepper flakes over the bread and onions before adding the olive oil and cheese and going in the oven

-used more cheese than called for in the recipe because cheese

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016052-ribollita

the gelato was my first shot using a new ice cream attachment for my kitchenaid mixer.  i thought it was a total home run - used the epicurious recipe - link below, with some modifications -

-used a combination of pineapple juice and some juice i made in my blender from canned mandarines and the syrup in place of the liqueur

-took about a pint of blackberries and roughly mashed them in a bowl with a fork and folded them in at the very end  

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pomegranate-gelato-235772https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pomegranate-gelato-235772

• Like 2

On 6/5/2018 at 7:48 AM, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I don’t know if I should post this here or in the Steelshank thread
Fried chicken, fried okra and mashed potatoes
I used 1/3 corn meal,1/3 flour and Louisiana fish fry
67cbaaceaa38570edf86a844664e7270.jpg
fc384df84ecf7012da50268f7bc8c87a.jpg
daf21adf5443077cbe2911d039f0be5a.jpg
8d1e44d5d44d898a94a88f0efd226290.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What made you decide to go with mashed potatoes?  I mean that plate is screaming for some grease-laden french fries or onion rings or preferably both.

What made you decide to go with mashed potatoes?  I mean that plate is screaming for some grease-laden french fries or onion rings or preferably both.

Who doesn’t like mashed potatoes?
And I was out of fries
I’ll try to do home made onion rings soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't posted in this thread since fuckface took over the old site.  Hope this is worthy.  Pleae pardon the countertop and cooktop.  We're selling our house and moved into a short term rental while we renovated and sold the old house.  If anyone is looking for a property in NOVA I have a nice one for sale.

Flank steak rubbed in garlic paste with salt and pepper and marinated in lemon, olive oil and oregano.  Rosemary potatoes and teriyaki and red wine mushrooms.

A few garic cloves to start

a_few_garlic_cloves.jpg

Some lemons

some_lemons.jpg

Garlic cooks for about 45 minutes over low heat in olive oil.  Bonus.  You get about a cup and a half of garlic infused olive oil for a future recipe.

garlic_cooking.jpg

Turns into this which you add salt and pepper to and create a paste for rubbing on the flank steak.

time_to_mash.jpg

Flank steak rubbed

flank_rubbed.jpg

And marinated

in_marinade.jpg

Finished product

steak_a_la.jpg

meat.jpg

Shrooms

shrooms.jpg

Vino

vino.jpg

Plated.  Bon appetit

plated.jpg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I haven't posted in this thread since fuckface took over the old site.  Hope this is worthy

meat.jpg

Nice work, and welcome back to the thread.  I’ve liked your posts going way back.

Did you reapply (cooked) marinade after grilling the steak?  Looks very saucy, could just be the pics.

Edited by solamente73
Tone

On 6/5/2018 at 8:47 PM, scottsins said:

Spaghetti “a la chitarra” carbonara with wild ramps.

j/k that pasta dish will be inspiration for whatever I cook tonight.

On 6/10/2018 at 6:04 AM, Jack Straw said:

ribollita

I had to google that.  That looks like a ton of work that turned out awesomely. 

On 6/10/2018 at 8:43 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Wow.  This is the best culinary page on the internet. By far.   Well done gentlemen. 

That was said several times on TOS and it's holding true here.  Real people cooking real food that they eat themselves.  I love this thread.  Thanks to all who post here and provide such inspiration.

• Like 5

On 5/19/2018 at 7:04 PM, SmokeyTheBear said:

Outside all day and wanted something cool and clean. Made a tuna steak salad with: forbidden rice, arugula, scallions, jalapeno, avocado, sesame crusted tuna steak, and a dressing of lime, garlic, soy sauce, honey, olive oil. 

20hobqt.jpg

Made this the other night.  Quite excellent.

Also made a unique chicken noodle soup the other day when it was a bit rainy and colder than a normal June day in the midwest (60s). And sorry - I suck at taking pics. We have a no device policy at the table and I always forget to snap a shot during the process and right before we sit.

In some evoo sautee diced: 1/2 white onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, s&p.  Once tender, add in one packet of ranch mix and blend together.  Add 4 cups chicken stock and 1 can cream of chicken soup. Once simmering add in your noodles, a couple of cooked/shredded chicken breasts, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 1 cup cream.  When serving, sprinkle with a handful of crumbled bacon. 

So this was a good part winging it, but turned out spectacular.

Took a different angle on lebanese kusa stuffed squash using patty pan squash.  Filling is sauteed squash, onion, bell pepper, aramanth leaves, ground beef, all spice, mint, parsley, salt pepper. Roasted hollowed out squash in the oven @400 for a bit, then steamed in tomato broth to finish. Topped with feta and greek yogurt.

Filling:

DA3_A6891_AD64_4_AB2_94_F6_E6_EE9_B05177  

Steam:

5_D6_CC553_34_D6_4_F3_C_AA66_50_EA04_BE9

Plate:

7_CE094_E2_93_C1_4275_A4_FE_EE4_FEB0_AD5 

A3_AB225_A_1_F86_4676_B043_136_DFEDAD294

Dessert:

54_E270_B4_928_E_46_F1_9_AA1_63553713_FB 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 7

I made an Italian dish called Pici Aglione last nice. Pici is a thick pasta made with semolina.  Some pics.  You begin with a lot of tomatoes and garlic  

CC7_AE9_B7_A12_B_4_C55_A464_6_A5_C114317

Then start cooking it down. 

E81_C87_DD_B5_F0_451_E_AF89_6229_FB77_DE

and down. It takes about four hours to get the sauce. 

E0_E8_F204_B725_4964_86_A6_21_C52_C402_C

Always finish pasta in the sauce.  It makes the sauce bind to the pasta. 

20_C524_B8_7_E3_C_4554_A08_D_2_FA699_BA5

Buon appetito!

C489745_A_13_A0_4_B72_89_EC_45_B462_D009

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 5