Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 9/24/2020 at 10:14 PM, Anastasis said:

Haven't seen salmon steaks in the case for a while so why the fuck not...

CA45-FA0-C-2976-4-BF4-ABCF-986-A60406-F9

Thanks for the inspiration, brah.  I was finally able to track some down at Central Market.  Yours looks a lot healthier than mine for some reason.

s7nNmI.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

How did you season? and overnight in the fridge?

Just kosher salt and fresh, coarse ground pepper.  No overnight.  I'm sure that would be even better, but this was easily in the realm of most in-house deli case roast beef I've bought.  

I mean, it's a big slab of beef.  There's not a whole lot to do.  I think low and slow helped, and some people might be leery about safety, but we destroyed it and nobody got sick.

• Hook 'Em 1

Always intrigued by the crab case at H-E-B. Tonight, said fuck it. Going in. Steamed them for about 10 minutes and made with Trulucks mustard sauce for dipping. Pictured along the side is some mussels in a white wine/garlic broth and caprese salet with butter lettuce and avocados, dressed with evoo and legit balsamic, which is worth every fucking penny. So much better than the usual shit.

7cafda3f2f31f6ec9544ec21f1fefba6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

It’s an adaptation of Julia child’s 

I cut up about a half a pound of pork bellies into lardons (didn’t want to use bacon because I didn’t want the smoke to overpower the dish)

3lb chuck roast cut up into about 2”x2” pieces

1 onion largely diced

2 carrots cut into coins 

2 T thyme, chopped

4-5 cloves garlic, grated on microplane 

2.5 c low sodium beef broth

2.5 c red wine

1 T tomato paste 

2 T AP flour 

1 beef bouillon cube (which, if u look at the ingredients adds nothing but salt, some seasonings, and msg - can likely leave out, but adds umami)

8 oz button mushrooms

1/2 pound pearl onions (I used cippolini because I like them better)

parsely to finish

render pork fat

salt beef and sear hard and remove

add diced onions and cut carrots sauté till softened

add tomato paste, thyme and garlic and cook for 1 minute 

deglaze with wine and scrape up all the fond

Add stock

place meat and any accumulated juices back in pot

Simmer on low for 3 hours covered

in a separate saucepan melt 1 T butter and 1T evoo and saute the pearl onions on medium low until deeply browned all over and move to half the pan. Towards end add the mushrooms to the other half and sauté until softened and add 1-2 T grated garlic and s/p to taste. 

once the gravy thickness is to your liking pour the onion/mushroom mixture into pot, mix and serve. Parsely for garnish. 

don’t overly salt the gravy early because it will reduce and intensify. Reseason towards the end if needs salt 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Had a barely opened bottle of red from a birthday party I threw. Decided to make some Beef Bourguinon. Even the kids loved it. Will need to add to the rotation during the winter months.

1930df53d1e525d070641df7d11bd249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My favorite meal. That looks outstanding.

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

Brisket tacos with home fermented jalapeño sauce
57c2d1bbb94930154baea3d14cf23655.jpg

Tell me more about this fermented jap sauce...

• Hook 'Em 1

About a pound and a half of ripe jalapenos and 2 serranos, stems chopped off, sliced in half, quarter of a medium onion thinly sliced, 4 cloves of garlic thinly sliced, and about half a large carrot shredded (could go more, I got tired of peeling shreds off.  If i could chop carrots like Maangchi I'd do that). 

Stuff into jars, cover with 4% brine, let ferment on your counter for 5 or 6 days.  The longer you let it go the more fermentation funk you'll get. Needs at least 3 days. 

Dump solids into a blender, add 1 cup liquid, reserve some liquid for loosening if need be.   Something something South Austin's mom.

This was about 4 days in.6ec00ce62c6244ee3dd568387e969606.jpg 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1