Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 11/7/2020 at 12:23 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Damn, sounds like you’ve had a few. 

Yep. Fair point. Kimchi. Potato vodka. 
Apologies.

As penance: Canned tuna, cold butter (a quarter stick per can) capers (or pickles or olives)1tsp. Process until smooth. Try it with crackers.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Crackers

6 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Yep. Fair point. Kimchi. Potato vodka. 
Apologies.

As penance: Canned tuna, cold butter (a quarter stick per can) capers (or pickles or olives)1tsp. Process until smooth. Try it with crackers.

I’ve done this with Mayo instead of butter.  And eat it on a sandwich.  It’s called tuna salad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Damn that looks good.  I call my weed gochujang too. 

Let the chicken marinade overnight, then reduced the leftover marinade and spooned over the chicken, and popped it into the oven for a bit to caramelize some.

20201107_150903.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I’ve done this with Mayo instead of butter.  And eat it on a sandwich.  It’s called tuna salad.

Yeah. This isn’t a tuna sandwich. Don’t try it. Or do. If you do, you will put it out before company. It’s a Marcella Hazan recipe.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Sourcing

i guess i shouldn't be surprised considering vitello tonnato is a thing

Tuna-Spread-with-Capers-the-perfect-acco

https://labellasorella.com/2016/04/tuna-spread-with-capers/

i assume it's probably better with good european canned tuna instead of US cat food grade tuna.  be an easy one to knock out for feast of the seven fishes. 

Edited by elfenix

14 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Blend it all together. 
Have you ever not loved a Marcella recipe?

I don’t know that I’ve ever had one of her recipes.  But I’m Italian and cook the shot out of some Italian food so I’m guessing I probably have.

I’ll try the tuna butter and report back.  And you just use regular canned tuna?  Or as @elfenix mentioned, do you need something a little fancier?

I use regular canned, but better quality tuna ought make a better dish.

This is so much lighter than expected. I dig it when simple things create a greater than the sum of its parts deal.

Like potato-rocket soup. Old bread, a potato, arugula, a bit of olive oil, and water. Geez. That makes an awesome soup.

Or, the effect of blackened fish, black beans, rice, and salad. It makes you feel so much better than you think it should.

This Tuna spread is that sort of experience, for me.

45 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I’ll try the tuna butter and report back.  And you just use regular canned tuna?  Or as @elfenix mentioned, do you need something a little fancier?

I double checked the quantities, because I often am wrong, like now. A half stick butter per can, and a TBS capers. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Spellcheck

21 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

I use regular canned, but better quality tuna ought make a better dish.

This is so much lighter than expected. I dig it when simple things create a greater than the sum of its parts deal.

Like potato-rocket soup. Old bread, a potato, arugula, a bit of olive oil, and water. Geez. That makes an awesome soup.

Or, the effect of blackened fish, black beans, rice, and salad. It makes you feel so much better than you think it should.

This Tuna spread is that sort of experience, for me.

Orecchiette with Pork Sausage and Broccoli is that way.  Pretty much three simple ingredients, one of which I don't even like on it's own, but the combination is amazing.  This is the one I make...

16 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Special occasions for me and my wife ( no pics, you degenerate bastards ), I like to take a 2 to 2 1/2 inch prime ribeye, slice it down the middle, grill it hot for two to three minutes per side, then cover it in a crawfish cream sauce.

EAE8A253-158E-4841-A2FD-8C0CC4C4196A.jpeg

A98CC740-A451-4F62-87A1-E26A20C4E3F8.jpeg

Kind of a crawfish steak Oscar.  Dig it. 

46 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

How long did you smoke/what temp?

220ish for maybe 2 hours?  Pulled it at 120. 

Let it rest while I opened up both vents on my komodo. Probably 700 on the grates when I put it back on. 90 seconds a side to sear. 

Edited by pops
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

But why?

Because I was craving enchiladas and had all the stuff to make them.  Why do you make the shit you make?

Ohhhhh...you meant, why did I forget the after pic?  Don’t know, man.  Just totally slipped my mind.  I could lie and say they got devoured before I was able to get the pic.  But it was just because I forgot.  Sorry I’ll try harder harder next time.

Or why did I make them two ways?  I guess I just wanted some variety

Edited by Landomatic

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Because I was craving enchiladas and had all the stuff to make them.  Why do you make the shit you make?

Ohhhhh...you meant, why did I forget the after pic?  Don’t know, man.  Just totally slipped my mind.  I could lie and say they got devoured before I was able to get the pic.  But it was just because I forgot.  Sorry I’ll try harder harder next time.

Or why did I make them two ways?  I guess I just wanted some variety

I think he meant why a glass dish instead of ceramic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Yeah, I’m going to need that recipe.

Super easy. 

Dice an onion and sautee over medium heat in a big pot or Dutch oven. 

Add a jalapeño or 2...or whatever pepper you want depending on spice level. 

3 minced cloves of garlic into the pan for just a bit along with a T of ground cumin and T of chili powder. 

Let that shit get fragrant for maybe a minute then add big can of whole peeled tomatoes. Can of sweet corn (fresh cut off the cob if you can get it)  and can of black beans (both rinsed) and 3 cups of chicken stock. Salt and pepper. 

I also add in half a lime and a handful of chopped up cilantro stems. 

Now you can either take the easy delicious route or the long route that just won't taste as good. 

I grab a rotisserie chicken from the store, shred the breasts and thighs and throw them in the pot, bring everything to a boil then simmer for maybe 30 minutes while I break up the whole tomatoes as they cook. 

If you used raw chicken i guess let it go until it is cooked enough to shred. 

Garnish with cilantro. Sour cream, avocado and tortilla strips. Add hot sauce as desired. I served it with a couple of street taco sized tortillas for dipping. 

Using the rotisserie chicken and this can easily be done in 45 minutes and tastes like you spent hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3