Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

i'd never heard of Fideo until this thread. gave it a shot...so easy. there's only like 5 ingredients! 😊

i modified slightly for the mchookem house...a splash of cream to cut the acid...and the husband abhors a meal without meat 🙄 so i browned some ground sirloin and put that in the bottom of his bowl with the soup on top lol

it was a hit! 

20210621_185435.jpg

20210621_192113.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4
  • Drool 1

i'd never heard of Fideo until this thread. gave it a shot...so easy. there's only like 5 ingredients!
i modified slightly for the mchookem house...a splash of cream to cut the acid...and the husband abhors a meal without meat so i browned some ground sirloin and put that in the bottom of his bowl with the soup on top lol
it was a hit! 

20210621_185435.thumb.jpg.8efe2dfe403919c4bf3924d52acd98f8.jpg
20210621_192113.thumb.jpg.a37eddb40a0db23d97b921882cb7937c.jpg

Soupy fideo with some meat tossed in isn’t unusual at all. Very S. Texas.

I grew up in grandma’s fideo, which was dry, almost like a fried rice. Start with a tablespoon of oil or so. Sautée some diced onion till just softened. Toss in the box of dry fideo and stir fry over med high heat until it browns some and gets toasty. Add 1 cup knorr suisse chicken broth, cover and cook on low until the liquid is pretty much gone. Remove lid, stir and cook just a bit more till the liquid is all cooked in.

Then - and this is my son’s favorite part - top with a melty Mexican white cheese, like Mennonite, chihuahua, Oaxaca, etc - and let it melt in.

My son can eat the whole pan by himself. I’ll make some soon and take some pics.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

New Weber grill. Only pic I took of the 1st cook.

Liking it so far. Assembly was a hassle with the funky tabs into the short steel receivers, etc. however it does work well to choke off all incoming oxygen, so I anticipate using less Oak Lump due to recovering leftover fuel when the fire fully dies.2d969a6aa8b215108f508d303322f530.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Smoked a brisket and made Truth BBQ’s tater tot casserole for dinner tonight and transported to my brothers place to shoot off some firework appetizers. I’m now a little too full for comfort. That’s half the point next to the flat in case anyone thinks the brisket carving looks funky. 

E7EE9B4D-C205-4DA0-AF3F-BD8B41201B75.jpeg

F0FD8C4D-38DE-4ABA-BF89-78099680AB78.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Bought some concoction of chicken breast/ artichoke hearts/ mozzarella at Sams. Sauteed some garlic in butter, sliced cherry tomatoes, pepper flake, parsley, and parmesan cheese with some penne.  Started out simple...ended freaking delicious.

penne.jpg

You can file this under it tastes much better then it looks. I’ve always liked king ranch chicken but had never made it before.  Turned out great, added lots of sautéed onions, garlic and jalapeños and yea I like the cheese on top extra crispy.  

5AD07279-0EAF-4ECB-9530-4242C3A7822D.jpeg

B5D66660-0938-4A1F-90E8-7B234FBB6BFF.jpeg

027AB5E8-E5DA-4F5A-9CBB-F9F531ED5BF1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 8:02 PM, mchookem said:

i'd never heard of Fideo until this thread. gave it a shot...so easy. there's only like 5 ingredients! 😊

i modified slightly for the mchookem house...a splash of cream to cut the acid...and the husband abhors a meal without meat 🙄 so i browned some ground sirloin and put that in the bottom of his bowl with the soup on top lol

it was a hit! 

20210621_185435.jpg

20210621_192113.jpg

Our new boss is from Seattle area.  She was asking why there are so many features in the grocery store with vermicelli and tomato sauce.

1) it's cheap

2) fideo

She asked, "WTH is fideo?"  We LOAO.  You need some...

4 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

First time cooking Wagyu steaks.

Salted each side, heated iron skillet to medium then used the fat cap to grease the pan. 2 minutes on each side for perfection.

Ate mine before I could take a pic of finished product

20210723_190353.jpg

Be sure to leave that awesome fat in your skillet and cook some eggs in it in the morning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I'm ashamed to admit I've never had papusas until last month.  Wife found a recipe and we gave them a shot.  

I think they were called Chicharron Papusas

Beans tomato, onion, BP, beans chorizo and Oaxaca cheese.  They were awesome.

We are 10 of them and have these left.  

Pic doesn't convey the taste.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tasty.co/amp/recipe/salvadoran-pupusas-as-made-by-curly-and-his-abuelita

20210725_192715.jpg

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2