Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Was feeling German-ish (daughter just got back from a month over there). Had some nieces over, made dinner for all.

ec839ffcaa038f845d14c5172d93d660.jpg

Schweinebraten, rubbed with coarse mustard and a bunch of spices (think ground caraway and celery seed, on top of the usual stuff). Browned them slow cooked with carrots and onions, which made for a great gravy.

German style cabbage, sautéed with butter, onions, and garlic. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and caraway seeds. Simmered with a bit of chicken stock and cider vinegar.

Noodles, not german, but Czech, picked em up at Vincek’s in East Bernard. Tossed with butter, salt, and fried onions.

It was all really freaking good.

Not pictured: a Texas German treat, peach cobbler made with fresh Fredericksburg peaches from the farmers market.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

^ wow, that could easily be in a food magazine.  nicely done :)

Thanks! It's incredibly easy, though.

The ceviche is just a matter of going to a decent fish market and asking, "So, what marine fish are fresh today? I'd like to make ceviche." Literally anything fresh is fine, but I do like to stick to salt water for stuff I'm making at home.

About 1 lb of fish, some lime juice, some orange juice, some thinly sliced red onion, your favorite chile, and then whatever else you  have floating around that sounds good. I think this batch had some avocado, Fresno chiles, and some chives that were getting old. I like to marinate mine for about 15 minutes and cut the fish into larger slices to get a nice contrast in texture between the "cooked" outside and the raw inside. You can marinate for less time for a more sashimi-like experience, or 45 min+ if you like well done steak and chili with beans. If you want to make it look even fancier, you can throw it in a chilled martini or coupe glass and serve it up as an appetizer. 

Watermelon/mint/feta is the easiest "fancy" salad ever - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/watermelon-feta-mint-salad-recipe.html

Esquites are just elotes off the cob. Grilled or skillet-charred corn + mayo + chili powder + lime juice+ cilantro + cotija cheese.

• Like 2

Latest iteration of weeknight chicken cordon bleu.  Grilled chicken sandwiched between slices of grilled honey baked ham and topped with aged Swiss cheese recommended by a friend.  The strong nuttiness of the cheese went nicely with the sweet and salty of the honey baked ham.  With grilled asparagus.  

41975445670_b4537c5063_z.jpg

28847709387_ec04c1affb_z.jpg

Edited by solamente73
strangeness going on with posting the pics
  • Like 3

During Lent this year my wife and I gave up bread.  One night she wanted BBQ Shrimp, which resulted in a bunch of leftover BBQ Shrimp sauce that we would normally have sopped up with a bunch of french bread.  I did not want to waste it, so I strained out all the seasoning in it, added a good bit of Crystal, and put it in the freezer for unknown later use.  Turned out pretty awesome.  So now whenever we have BBQ Shrimp I make a little more sauce and freeze it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ERhine said:

During Lent this year my wife and I gave up bread.  One night she wanted BBQ Shrimp, which resulted in a bunch of leftover BBQ Shrimp sauce that we would normally have sopped up with a bunch of french bread.  I did not want to waste it, so I strained out all the seasoning in it, added a good bit of Crystal, and put it in the freezer for unknown later use.  Turned out pretty awesome.  So now whenever we have BBQ Shrimp I make a little more sauce and freeze it.

giphy.gif

Got some wings on teh smoker right now, but feeling really inadequate because I dont have shrimp juice to dip them in. 

Edited by Anastasis

19 hours ago, ERhine said:

Maybe I missed it, but what’s in the “BBQ Shrimp sauce?”  Is it just a BBQ sauce you put on shrimp, or does it have shrimp stock (or whatever) in the BBQ sauce?

Curious, but don’t ultimately care because I’d supersmash those wings on sight no matter what’s in the sauce.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:24 PM, ERhine said:

BBQ Shrimp Chicken Wings:

723bdc703539faca0b84074e933cab48.jpg

6e326b5a7b66258d172499e76b64e8ad.jpg

6850574b75ce5ea171a16329d67cba13.jpg

Grilled and then tossed in a mix of bbq shrimp sauce and buffalo wing sauce.

I would probably pay a crazy sum of money to have a couple dozen of those delivered to my place on opening weekend of college football

• Like 1

13 hours ago, huge said:

Only problem is that I let it simmer too long while futzing with kid food issues so it ended up less tender than I would have preferred. Still ate like a mofo tho

I've never done Stroganoff with venison before, but that looks awesome. One thing I will do to avoid overcooking the meat, though, is to pull it out after cooking. I make the sauce in the same pan, and then add the beef back in later to reheat it just before serving. It lets me get the sauce how I want it without worrying about overcooking the tenderloin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

I've never done Stroganoff with venison before, but that looks awesome. One thing I will do to avoid overcooking the meat, though, is to pull it out after cooking. I make the sauce in the same pan, and then add the beef back in later to reheat it just before serving. It lets me get the sauce how I want it without worrying about overcooking the tenderloin.

Yep.  I thought I was ready to serve then shit happened.  Wife didn't help trying to negotiate with the terrorist.  I know better now.

17 hours ago, huge said:

Only problem is that I let it simmer too long while futzing with kid food issues so it ended up less tender than I would have preferred. Still ate like a mofo tho

It happens.  Last weekend it was just me and the kids.  I thought I’d treat myself to some lamb since I’m the only one around here who loves lamb.  Check on the rack outside and internal temp was 111*.  Go inside to work on the kids’ food, one kid hits the other, crying ensues.... and next thing you know you’re running back outside and seeing 149* on the meat thermo.  Didn’t care. I ate that entire rack with extreme prejudice and loved every single bite.

28976451817_d6987f1cb5_z.jpg

28976451047_05a52fe827_z.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/30/2018 at 1:41 AM, Brisketexan said:

Was feeling German-ish (daughter just got back from a month over there). Had some nieces over, made dinner for all.

ec839ffcaa038f845d14c5172d93d660.jpg

Schweinebraten, rubbed with coarse mustard and a bunch of spices (think ground caraway and celery seed, on top of the usual stuff). Browned them slow cooked with carrots and onions, which made for a great gravy.

German style cabbage, sautéed with butter, onions, and garlic. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and caraway seeds. Simmered with a bit of chicken stock and cider vinegar.

Noodles, not german, but Czech, picked em up at Vincek’s in East Bernard. Tossed with butter, salt, and fried onions.

It was all really freaking good.

Not pictured: a Texas German treat, peach cobbler made with fresh Fredericksburg peaches from the farmers market.

I like Kraut food plenty, but if I had just spent a month over there and my Pops served up a dish of German food when I got back I think I would hope in my sled and go straight to the nearest Whataburger.

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I like Kraut food plenty, but if I had just spent a month over there and my Pops served up a dish of German food when I got back I think I would hope in my sled and go straight to the nearest Whataburger.

Well, she'd been back here a couple of weeks (and yes, upon landing at LAX, the first thing she wanted was a cheeseburger).

22 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Been spending the weekends just cooking random components to make hodge podge meals throughout the week. I decided to throw a bunch of shit in a taco tonight...shrimp, bacon, cheese, red onion, lettuce, roasted corn, homemade ranch + aardvark hot sauce. Frankenstein of fantasticness. f9262a67936f09cb52162e0f393603c8.jpg

torchy's gonna sue somebody

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 10:43 PM, huge said:

How about Axis Stroganoff?

67b69c739046ffd88b19f910b22000a8.jpg
Backstrap and a tenderloin

9808db19cdf1b3909d8ab369c8419ba0.jpg
Trimmed and browning

4672ccf80b386948e6f2b98ab8ef9a16.jpg
Not shown is 3 types of mushrooms, 2 shallots, lots of garlic and butter, sour cream, condensed cream of mushroom soup (kind of a cheat) and some heavy cream.

3a41476394ab6c5bd306b576db8c8cf1.jpg

I’m an axis whore, probably 75% of the protein I’ve eaten the last three years. This is finominole, good show.

11 hours ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

A tip of the hat, sir. That looks outstanding.

Indeed.  It's been a long time since I've had axis, but that's one of the ways I like to cook whitetail.  I really need to up my whitetail game -- now that the boy is hunting, we take 2-3 a year (and could take more), and I need to get more creative with my venison cooking.

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Indeed.  It's been a long time since I've had axis, but that's one of the ways I like to cook whitetail.  I really need to up my whitetail game -- now that the boy is hunting, we take 2-3 a year (and could take more), and I need to get more creative with my venison cooking.

Same.  Hunters we lease to chase horns.  So does my son.  So I use our extended-season tags primarily for does (which taste better anyway).  Sous vide & cast iron seared steaks are a staple.  As are medallions (can cook these any number of ways).  Ground for patties and spaghetti/bolognese.  Breakfast sausage always a hit.  Bacon/jalapeno/cream cheese poppers never go out of style.  Then you have chili (green & red) and the whole spectrum of sausage options.  This season I'm going to do a crown roast.