Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

13 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

Tried out Guga’s “Butter of the Gods” recipe and threw it on some prime filets. Holy shit…it’s amazing. Started with curing some duck egg yolks (5 days) then threw the femur bones in a salt solution to extract all the blood (3 days). Once you pull the bones out, roast for about 10 min, pull out the marrow. From there blend with butter, anchovies, garlic paste, roasted bone marrow, 1 cured duck egg yolk (grated), shallots, parsley, and salt. Toss in the fridge for a couple of hours and you’re good to go.

It’s time consuming but worth it. My wife, who never wants the same dinner back to back, has requested steak until we run out of the butter.
cede4b279cf62e33365eb9686a38abed.jpg
7efaba800e9b88dbf2183e43ee632a2c.jpg
0c452b025b9d17c4b5ffeca4ae3ebf63.jpg
83600ad3958ee4adc06d135b3277089f.jpg
cf7fd9a2a3c262e23acc58e675876338.jpg
90bf4d0c50f5c8f01a7a2ee5fccb7f29.jpg
d5382b6fa33deb45067e64aa001b998e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, if you wanted to start a business selling that, how much would you charge per ounce?

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Out of curiosity, if you wanted to start a business selling that, how much would you charge per ounce?

Bout tree fiddy.  

You can find similar stuff online for a reasonable price - not sure if it had the cured yolk though.  It’s cheap ingredients but takes some time to make.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

That bone marrow butter goes AMAZING on pork chops. 10/10.
2dee6012f2a6d589a32a0c4c1a5b4d1e.jpg
a2ee7482fe17b5f27a370fce5a9b9238.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gonna need that prep method, dude.  I see thyme and garlic, but what is in the pan party liquor?  Dry brine?  Damn.

9 hours ago, tigol said:

Gonna need that prep method, dude.  I see thyme and garlic, but what is in the pan party liquor?  Dry brine?  Damn.

Funny thing is this was not what I was aiming for.  Was just going for some pan seared chops but realized quickly these were way too thick.

Dry brine with salt/pepper, pull chops out about an hour before cooking.  Heat some avocado oil up in a heavy skillet until smoking - chops in and sear on one side about 3-5 min then flip once crust forms.  Sear other side about 3-5 min then toss in 350 oven (this was my panic mode realizing all stovetop was going to be tough) until internal hits 135 degrees.  While you do that, warm up some beef stock (chicken works too, I’m sure liquor would be fine).  What made the color of this dish was the homemade stock I had (on my phone so can’t link it - but check out Binging with Babish’s “Twister” video - that’s the recipe I use for stock).  

Once temp hits 135, bring back to stovetop and deglaze pan with beef stock.  Add 3 tablespoons butter, 5 cloves smashed garlic, and thyme (would do sage too, but didn’t have any).  And baste until temp gets to 145.  Rest.  

Looking back, had I planned to cook the chops this way, I would have done more of a sauce with the stock/butter and finished the chops in there once it was thickened.  Turned out great regardless and made me want to have this bone marrow butter on-hand regularly.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Bout tree fiddy.  

You can find similar stuff online for a reasonable price - not sure if it had the cured yolk though.  It’s cheap ingredients but takes some time to make.  

Just talked to my bone guy. He usually sends stuff cut short ways. Said he would send the next ones cut lengthwise. Going to try this out.

7 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Is Juliska shitty all of the sudden?

Ignore that, your dinnerware is fine. Good looking pork. Underappreciated but when cooked just right, is quite a pleasant meal.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Directed at either of the pork displays. If it isn't broken, it doesn't need fixin'
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I half assed seasoned my Lodge cast iron pan by cooking some bacon and then cooked some bone in pork chops.  Damned good. Better than 95% of pork chops I’ve ordered in restaurants. 

The Perry’s pork chop being a notable exception. 

I still think outdoor broilers is the best at home option, but I’m a fan of cast iron pans. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I half assed seasoned my Lodge cast iron pan by cooking some bacon and then cooked some bone in pork chops.  Damned good. Better than 95% of pork chops I’ve ordered in restaurants. 

The Perry’s pork chop being a notable exception. 

I still think outdoor broilers is the best at home option, but I’m a fan of cast iron pans.

It looks delicious!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Following that lead in, did a green chili stew tonight. Not bad for a relatively quick green chili dinner. Throw a couple japs in with the veggies to roast to kick up the heat would be good, but not going to fly with the kids yet. Gonna have a bunch of the chili sauce left, could prob go 4-5# pork easy if you wanted to push it.  Will freeze after a couple rounds of leftovers for a quick dinner some time.

8 tomatillos and couple onions, quartered; 5 garlic cloves; tossed with some avocado oil, salt/pepper; roasted in oven.

~1# of roasted green chilis out of the freezer and a handful of cilantro.

Mixed above in blender and liquified.

While above is roasting, ~3# pork loin and shoulder mix, cubed. Season and brown in a couple batches. Add ~1/2 tbsp cumin total at the end.

4 cups chicken stock and whatever was leftover in a beef stock container in the fridge.

Add all of above to instapot, add 1/2 tbsp oregano and whatever amount of salt makes you happy, cook on stew setting for default 10m and let it do the slow depress until you get impatient. Check the final seasoning to taste. 

Topped with avocado, queso fresco, sour cream, and some more cilantro. 

88-CA090-C-EC2-F-454-C-8-CA7-590-DAC2883

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Chicken shashlyk today. Pretty simple Russian style, marinade of yogurt, beer, apple cider vinegar, lots of garlic and onion, hot paprika, dill. Can’t say enough about these screw ended skewers, they allow you to turn the meat evenly on all sides. I used a mix of skinless thighs and skinless breasts, you grill these for a while over medium heat and so skin will either be rubbery or burned, not crispy. The yogurt keeps things tender. Sprinkle some pomegranate seeds and quick pickled onions on the plate to finish it off. 

image.thumb.jpeg.20028145dd5282d9f45056253193f1f3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.22feaa9f4ec09d29dd33485639dea3a9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8