Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Brisket's mac & cheese made me break out some of these from the freezer, because...cheese. And I had some leftover sage from some failed cocktail experimentation (if anyone knows the ratios for Fort Worth's Usual drink Unconventional Wisdom, I'd love to hear it).

DSC_0006.jpg

Blatantly stolen from Serious Eats' take on The Spotted Pig's ricotta gnudi. They freeze extremely well, so make a giant batch, but they're a bit picky about cooking; I like to pull mine off the heat right before they go in so they don't get torn up by the bubbles from the boiling water - don't stir! Ideally, you end up with a super thin pasta shell filled with melty peppery ricotta.

• Like 3

On 9/6/2018 at 5:30 PM, Sheep Have Wool said:

Brisket's mac & cheese made me break out some of these from the freezer, because...cheese. And I had some leftover sage from some failed cocktail experimentation (if anyone knows the ratios for Fort Worth's Usual drink Unconventional Wisdom, I'd love to hear it).

DSC_0006.jpg

Blatantly stolen from Serious Eats' take on The Spotted Pig's ricotta gnudi. They freeze extremely well, so make a giant batch, but they're a bit picky about cooking; I like to pull mine off the heat right before they go in so they don't get torn up by the bubbles from the boiling water - don't stir! Ideally, you end up with a super thin pasta shell filled with melty peppery ricotta.

so that looks really tasty.  where'd you get the ricotta?  CM?

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

so that looks really tasty.  where'd you get the ricotta?  CM?

Yep, it's not too hard to find decent stuff there. It's definitely an important ingredient. Per the article:

Spoiler

As with my quick and easy ricotta gnocchi, I’ve found that the quality of the ricotta is of utmost importance to the success of this recipe. There’s really not much more to it. Not all ricotta is created equal. In fact, of commonly available supermarket ingredients, I’d say it’s the one product that shows the most variation between low and high quality. The good stuff can be heavenly, while the bad stuff? Gritty, watery, bland, sour-tasting dreck that’s not worth the cost of the plastic tub it comes packaged in.

Low-quality mass-market brands will have various gums and stabilizers listed as ingredients, included to bypass costly and time-consuming draining steps. You’re essentially buying water that’s been stabilized artificially to thicken up with the milk solids in the tub. Higher quality ricotta should list milk, salt, and, at the very most, either an acid or a natural culture. These are the only ones you should be buying. If you can find freshly made sheep’s milk ricotta at a specialty market or a farmer’s market, even better. It has a nice grassiness and sharp acidity that plays nicely with the rich butter sauce.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

provoleta

That looks outstanding, especially with that red pepper flake. How did it taste? Do you have a solid recipe?

Provoleta is always good, but I don't feel like I've ever had any that was great, even in Argentina. I can't help but think, "You know what would make this awesome? If you threw some chorizo in and turned it into queso fundido."

16 hours ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

That looks outstanding, especially with that red pepper flake. How did it taste? Do you have a solid recipe?

Provoleta is always good, but I don't feel like I've ever had any that was great, even in Argentina. I can't help but think, "You know what would make this awesome? If you threw some chorizo in and turned it into queso fundido."

thanks - it was great.  i don't have any particular recipe - i've made it with roasted red peppers, with mushrooms, with onions, with tomatoes, once with a quartered hard boiled egg on top (had it served to me that way once in Argentina).   i made this one with a combination of provolone (blanking on the specific type right now) and smoked provolone

to me the key is just using high quality cheese.  the rest is just whatever i feel like.  always fresh oregano and basil from my garden.  chorizo sounds good, i am a big fan of fundido

PS the dog is still around and fine - i cooked this at my mom's place where she isn't welcome b/c my mom has a bitchy ass cat 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 7:09 PM, Celery Man said:

Y'all know Ninfa's?

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/salsa-salvation-ninfas-green-sauce.html

3_D81_F41_F_95_C0_4102_89_C3_72_DCE66651

E76718_D1_246_E_4_D7_C_B765_033919_AF797

187_DB72_D_5955_4689_9_FFF_0448_E28_DCB3

77_B3_DA36_D04_B_4874_8_A1_E_05_A3_E25_D

19_BA52_B6_F889_40_A5_BB91_FC60_BB486_CD

(her recipe calls for way the fuck too much sour cream.  and obviously crema is better)

CA3_AB109_6_F93_4_FA4_859_E_CC45_E214177

I've found that between this one and Rob Walsh I can make an accurate recreation.  It also doesn't require finding green tomatoes in season.

12 - tomatillos - boiled until soft (5-10min)

3-10 serranos - boiled until soft (heat preference)

place in blender and blend until smooth

now place blender in fridge to cool for at least 30mins before the next step (if you don't the avocado will cook and it all goes to shit)

once cool, add three med avocados (coarsely chopped) and blend. (or 2.5 depending on size)

Transfer to a large bowl and add 1 diced bunch of cilantro (stems too), 2Tbspns salt and 1 cup Crema or sour cream, stir and chill at least 8 hours

• Like 1

interesting.  i've had mixed success making it with yellow tomatoes and even those little baby yellow ones, but it's hit or miss.  will have to try your method next time I have a hankering for it and can't get green tomatoes.  Also in Austin, Tortilleria Rio Grande (one up north, one down south in the shitty shopping center at 1st and Wm Cannon) sells a very good salsa de aguacate that is similar.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lonestarguido said:

Recipe? Making some ribs this weekend and want a solid non mayo potato salad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

German Potato Salad

5 lb bag of potatoes, boiled and chopped into about 1" cubes.

1 lb Bacon chopped into 1" pieces

1 large white onion chopped.

2--3 cloves garlic minced

1 bunch of green onions chopped.

Salt/pepper to taste.

1/4 Cup White Sugar

1 Cup White Vinegar.

Fresh chopped Parsley for garnish

Directions:  In a large pan, fry up the bacon pieces until crispy.  Set aside.  Saute the garlic, white onion, and green onion in a portion of the bacon grease (or use olive oil if you prefer).  Salt and pepper to taste.  Once everything looks tasty, add the potatoes, and pan fry until you have some good brown, crispy edges.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add sugar and vinegar and mix it up well.  Mix the bacon back in.  Mix in some of the parsley.  Put it all in a serving dish and sprinkle some more parsley over the top. 

Enjoy!

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

On 9/23/2018 at 9:03 PM, Anastasis said:

kosher salt and coarse pepper. no foil. maybe 3.5-4h on smoke. finished in oven @ 200. pulled @ 120 on the temp probe.   

Looks fantastic. 

I’ve got a 4 bone rib roast. About 9.5 lbs. and really want to smoke it. 

Is that too big?  Would I be better off smoking two 4.75 lb rib roasts?

Also, any tips? I was just going to do 225 until I got to 120. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I got to be totally honest.  I think that I prefer a prime rib just straight up cooked in the oven. The smoke is great, but I think that I prefer the "clean" beef flavor without the smoke when we are talking prime rib.  Either way I think that you will be fine with the 4 bone.  

I hate to agree but I do. Maybe an hour in the smoker just to give it a kiss, then continue the reverse sear in the oven. 

• Like 1