Kansas City

BearSchlong

Looked for a thread but not surprised I didn't find one.

With my daughter handcuffed to Missouri for the summer (she has to follow the protocol to gain MO residency because I am NOT paying another year of OOS tuition to Mizzou) the wife and I have decided that we are having babygirl meet us in KC for July 4th and the weekend. Bonvoy points for hotel, SWA companion pass bogo airfare/redneckspankytoes.

Anyway, I'm so burned out on our excellent Texas 'cue that I want to do some ghetto tourism.

What BBQ places are can't miss?

Other restaurants?

Museums and other can't miss tourist shit?

Royals are out of town those days.

For everyday bbq go to Arthur Bryants or Gates. For better go to Joe's or Q39. 

Other restaurants will depend on what you're looking for and price range. KC has some great places.  Several in the Crossroads district, the Plaza, and Power and Light. If you want a particular type of food let me know either in a post, or pm.

To do:

Nelson Atkins art museum

Negro League baseball museum

WW1 memorial

Boulevard beer brewery

Arabia steamboat museum

Again feel free to pm me for anything specific. 

• Like 1

Kansas City sucks ass.  Lived there for 3 years.  There’s a place called The Peanut bar that had great wings.  Other than that, there’s not a damn thing I miss.  Literally everything we have 10 times better than in Texas.  Especially the BBQ.  Joes is probably their best, but it’s Rudy’s level.

I like KC, wished I had more time there to really explore the city/area.  The Royals were in town on one visit but couldn’t make it over there, kick myself for not even thinking about Negro League Museum.  Also didn’t get to do the CBK Experience

Have done Bryants twice, liked it the first time but found it not as good the 2nd visit.  We were going to do Joe’s but the line was crazy so we just found some Mexican place up the street from it.  Stroud’s another place I wished we had gone to for their fried chicken. 

39 minutes ago, Underdog said:

I like KC, wished I had more time there to really explore the city/area.  The Royals were in town on one visit but couldn’t make it over there, kick myself for not even thinking about Negro League Museum.  Also didn’t get to do the CBK Experience

Have done Bryants twice, liked it the first time but found it not as good the 2nd visit.  We were going to do Joe’s but the line was crazy so we just found some Mexican place up the street from it.  Stroud’s another place I wished we had gone to for their fried chicken. 

Strouds is totally overrated imo. The best fried chicken is at Rye, which is owned by a James Beard award winner. Two locations, one on the Plaza and one in Leawood.  Also has a high end place called Bluestem which is fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Strouds is totally overrated imo. The best fried chicken is at Rye, which is owned by a James Beard award winner. Two locations, one on the Plaza and one in Leawood.  Also has a high end place called Bluestem which is fantastic. 

What about it makes it overrated? 

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Is the ambassador hotel nice?

It's a classic hotel downtown. I've never been in it but I hear good things about it. Walking distance, or free streetcar ride, to good places to eat and some activities. 

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

What about steakhouses?

801 Chophouse, and there's one in the Power and Light district, which is walking distance from the Ambassador.  One of the best steaks places I've eaten at.  Also Rye, where they have the fried chicken, has a great hangar steak. They Sous Vide it for several hours before searing it. 

• Like 1

I've been here all week for work and I have not been impressed. I did discover the Plaza area last night and I'll check it out when I'm back next year. Otherwise, downtown is dead. The Power and Light district is 6th for midwesterners.

Edited to add that the WWI museum and Negro baseball museum are legit and definitely worth checking out.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

14 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I've been here all week for work and I have not been impressed. I did discover the Plaza area last night and I'll check it out when I'm back next year. Otherwise, downtown is dead. The Power and Light district is 6th for midwesterners.

Yeah very much my experience while living there.  I remember going to Power and Light on like a Thursday at 9:00 and most of the places were closed.  Really dead.

Most of the best restaurants were chains...i.e. Capital Grill was probably the best steakhouse.

Just a very wannabe big city.  Kind of an aggy version of a town.  “Oh, we’ve got the best this, we’ve got great that”...no you’re the only ones who think that.  And just saying how great you are over and over doesn’t make it true.

And in all my time there, I never heard a single mention of the zoo.  I think Omaha had a great zoo.  Is that what y’all are thinking of?

Had Gates BBQ a couple years ago.  It was ass.

Same with OK Joe and Bryant’s. Brisket was so tough, they both slice it paper thin on a deli meat slicer. Sausage was closer to a frankfurter than a hot link. Potato salad was mayonnaise soup with potatoes floating in it.