Big Papi wounded in shooting

Dennis Taylor

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if I was David Ortiz I'm not sure I'd go back to live in the DR...

Yeah, if I clawed my way out of there and became a multimillionaire, there is no way would I return back home and I would get my family out ASAP. Wilson Ramos was kidnapped in Venezuela about 8 years ago and Elias Diaz's mom was kidnapped last year. If I was a Venezuelan and a MLB catcher, I would definitely not return home and get my family out.

Sounds like he’s gonna be fine. It’s hard to tell what happens from the video, but it looked like someone walked up behind him in a crowded restaurant and shot him in the back, then ran off. A very interesting “robbery” strategy. But the guy also seemingly had a layup of a headshot and opted not to take it, so it doesn’t seem like a targeted hit either.

43 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Sounds like he’s gonna be fine. It’s hard to tell what happens from the video, but it looked like someone walked up behind him in a crowded restaurant and shot him in the back, then ran off. A very interesting “robbery” strategy. But the guy also seemingly had a layup of a headshot and opted not to take it, so it doesn’t seem like a targeted hit either.

Where were you tonight?

39 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

i'd expect someone who shoots someone as popular as papi in DR to look about like that after the police get hold of him.

He is lucky he made it to the police. Now once in jail he is fucked. They are not nice places on the Island. 

Take the shooter.  Drop him off in Southie, at night in October when the Sox get eliminated in the ALDS in a t-shirt that says, “I shot Big Papi and all I got was this stupid t-shirt, go Yankees”.....and you will see true justice.  

12 hours ago, F250 said:

Yeah, if I clawed my way out of there and became a multimillionaire, there is no way would I return back home and I would get my family out ASAP. Wilson Ramos was kidnapped in Venezuela about 8 years ago and Elias Diaz's mom was kidnapped last year. If I was a Venezuelan and a MLB catcher, I would definitely not return home and get my family out.

The Astros worked behind the scenes to get Altuve's family out of VZ.  I understand why Papi was in the DR (family there), but if I was him my visits would be few and far between and they sure as heck wouldn't involve being out in a nightclub. The DR is a shit hole.

Never forgot, years ago I was in PR on business and the evening dinner talk turned to baseball.  I asked about the DR players and the country - our customer looked me straight in the eye and said don't ever go there - they are fucking animals.  I was sort of taken aback, but laughed it off as PR-DR rivalry.  

The kids and I went to the DR two years ago and enjoyed it a lot. We rented an apartment in Punta Cana where we rode the city bus around quite a bit. The we hired a driver to take us to Santo Domingo where we spent several days wandering around the old town. We didn’t go out clubbing at night so we didn’t get shot.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The kids and I went to the DR two years ago and enjoyed it a lot. We rented an apartment in Punta Cana where we rode the city bus around quite a bit. The we hired a driver to take us to Santo Domingo where we spent several days wandering around the old town. We didn’t go out clubbing at night so we didn’t get shot.

Even the clubs are fine and a good time as long as you aren't a known wealthy celebrity. 

That looked more like a hit to me than a robbery. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

Even the clubs are fine and a good time as long as you aren't a known wealthy celebrity. 

That looked more like a hit to me than a robbery. 

yep, I lived there for about 5 years, my mom and both brothers live there now. If you are smart and know where you are it is fine. 

• Like 1

Damn, now it’s been updated to possibly 10 suspects. 

Six suspects, including the alleged gunman, have been detained in the shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz, the Dominican Republic's chief prosecutor said Wednesday.

Four other suspects were also being pursued in the shooting, which witnesses said was carried out by two men on a motorcycle and two other groups of people in cars.

——

The four suspects still at large were identified as Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, aka The Surgeon, as well as a woman known as The Venezuelan, or Red, and two other men, prosecutors said in a statement.

Edited by spystud13

On 6/12/2019 at 5:02 PM, InkaUtexas said:

agree. Probably gave a 200 dollar rebate since they were Yankees fans from Los Minas. 

40 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Well we know the Yankees are behind this.

No,  we have sights on Mookie and Steve Pearce.

Much respect for Big Papi.    Hope he does not have lifelong complications.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 11:12 PM, hornimal said:

10 hitmen? target lived?

when are they going to name mr. biggs the suspect? this has his fingerprints all over it.

To be fair to the shooter, Big Papi presents a massive target. Hard to know where the vital organs are.

On the flip side though, he could have just shot him in the back of the head.