Big Papi wounded in shooting

Dennis Taylor

Goddamn, they were even more stupid than we thought. 

The Dominican Republic's lead prosecutor said Wednesday that former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was not the target of a shooting in a nightclub in his hometown.

Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez told reporters the target was another man, dressed similarly to Ortiz, who was seated with the retired baseball star on the night of the June 9 shooting in the capital of Santo Domingo.

Rodríguez said the shooting was orchestrated by a member of Mexico's Gulf Cartel, who remains on the run. He did not immediately describe a motive.

Ortiz remains hospitalized from the gunshot wound to his back. Doctors in Boston have upgraded his condition from guarded to good.

At the time of the attack, Ortiz was with TV personality Jhoel López and the apparent target, a man named David Fernandez, at Dial Bar and Lounge, which once served as a casual hangout for people getting their cars cleaned across the street. Ortiz was sitting with his back to the street when he was shot once in the back by a bullet that also injured López.

The shooting was carried out by two men on a motorcycle who were followed by several suspects in two cars, authorities said.

14 hours ago, spystud13 said:

It gets better...how they got caught:

The alleged shooter is a skinny, tattooed 25-year-old whom U.S. prosecutors said is wanted on armed robbery and gun charges in New Jersey. His driver was captured immediately after the shooting when he fell off the motorcycle he was trying to use to escape.

14 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Sitting with your back to the street is always risky. I did that once in Monterrey when the violence got real bad and the bar I was at had 2 people get shot maybe 10 feet from me. It took me a while to get comfortable sitting like that again.