Munchin’ in Munich

squib

Riding the train down from Berlin. Will be hitting Munich in about an hour. Have spent lots of time all over Germany but have never been to Munich. Have about 5 days to kill. Let me know about decent places to hit up. Have pinned a few beer gardens and museums but have no direct experience.  Not interested in clubbing it—30 minutes at Carnival of Cultures yesterday was an hour too much of that scene. 

Any of the brew houses are a good experience, but a restaurant out of the tourist route is Italian place called Senza Nome near the Allianz Arena.  It's a barn house next to horse stable that smells like horse shit outside and the owners German shepherd running around inside (tho it's probably dead now)

10 hours ago, squib said:

Riding the train down from Berlin. Will be hitting Munich in about an hour. Have spent lots of time all over Germany but have never been to Munich. Have about 5 days to kill. Let me know about decent places to hit up. Have pinned a few beer gardens and museums but have no direct experience.  Not interested in clubbing it—30 minutes at Carnival of Cultures yesterday was an hour too much of that scene. 

5 days to kill?  Take day trips to Herrenchiemsee, Neuschwanstein and Linderhof -- Ludwig II's castles in Bavaria.  You can hit the latter two in the same day as they are reasonably close to one another.  Absolutely stunning.  I cannot recommend these places enough.  

If all goes well, I will be hitting Munich in October -- well after Oktoberfest, though. 

19 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

http://www.spoeckmeier.com/

Great restaurant and little beer garden right on the MarienPlatz.   Great place to sit and drink and people watch.  Food is really good too. 

And you have to make the obligatory trip to Hoffbrau house for beers.

This. Lots of great suggestions on this thread and you can't go wrong with almost any of the recs.

For what it is worth, longtime resident of Munich with very Bavarian wife/in-laws here. This is where we go when we go out for Bavarian. Authentic as it gets and food is excellent. 

Paulaner im Tal just east of Marienplatz on Tal is another alternative (just walk towards the arch at the Altes Rathaus onto Tal and it's about two blocks down on your right).

But I'd go with Spöckmeier if given the choice.

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Like 1

we are driving over to Munich from Vienna a little later today with stops in Hallstatt and Berchtesgaden.   we are going to Ratskeller one night, and Pageou another night, which looks really interesting.  gf is a little burned out on Bavarian food after five days in Austria 😕 so we’ll see about the rest.

*comment above about the Asian tourists is spot on.  the one thing that is universal in all my travels overseas over the years is that they will fucking straight up ruin your life.  

edit: just saw Ray’s post - will take the Munchner’s recommendation and hit Spöckmeier.   looks booked up every evening we are there, but can make it for lunch on Friday.  

Edited by Jack Straw
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

we are driving over to Munich from Vienna a little later today with stops in Hallstatt and Berchtesgaden.   we are going to Ratskeller one night, and Pageou another night, which looks really interesting.  gf is a little burned out on Bavarian food after five days in Austria 😕 so we’ll see about the rest.

*comment above about the Asian tourists is spot on.  the one thing that is universal in all my travels overseas over the years is that they will fucking straight up ruin your life.  

edit: just saw Ray’s post - will take the Munchner’s recommendation and hit Spöckmeier.   looks booked up every evening we are there, but can make it for lunch on Friday.  

This place in Berchtesgaden is nice, good food/beer, not assraping priced.

braustuberl-berchtesgaden.jpg

• Like 1

we are driving over to Munich from Vienna a little later today with stops in Hallstatt and Berchtesgaden.    

Berchtesgaden (Eagle's Nest) and Halstatt are both fantastic. 

The salt mine tours near Salzburg and B-gaden can be fun as well, esp. if you've got kids in tow.     

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thestud said:

Second Neuschwanstein and Ludwig’s last castle. We didn’t make it to the yellow one that he grew up in across the mountain, but the one that Disney is modeled after was awesome. Don’t be a fat and take the trolley, make the walk up. Absolutely beautiful countryside. Ate lunch at the cafe that overlooks Alpsee Lake. It was great until the bus load of Asians showed up and started chasing the geese around like a bunch of 3 year olds.

Lucerne is a 4 hour drive, not sure about train. Lake Lucerne is absolutely stunning. That was probably one of our favorite stops, with Innsbruck vying for the spot right behind it. Innsbruck is less than 2 hours from Munich, maybe go there instead of Lucerne if time is of concern to you.

The yellow castle is Hohenschwangau, which Ludwig II grew up in but was built by his father. 

We didn't tour Hohenschwangau simply because we didn't have enough time.  I wish we could have stayed in that area longer and had time to see both.  Still, if you're there and you've got to make a choice between Neuschwanstein (Disney's model for the castle at Disneyland) and Hohenschwangau, I think the right decision is the one we both made -- Neuschwanstein.  

Agree with you about Lucerne.  That lake is beautiful.

Edited by Carl Spackler

13 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Berchtesgaden (Eagle's Nest) and Halstatt are both fantastic. 

The salt mine tours near Salzburg and B-gaden can be fun as well, esp. if you've got kids in tow.     

Hallstatt was cool.  We rerouted to Salzburg and spent the afternoon and early evening there instead of Berchtesgaden as it was my understanding that the last bus up to the Eagle’s Nest would have been after the time we arrived.  So we will do Berchtesgaden as a separate day trip from Munich.  We have another day dedicated to doing both castles, leaving early in the AM for Neuschwanstein.  

Heading to Lucerne for a week from here with a decent amount of open time on the calendar if anyone has any particularly great reccs there (esp. restaurants).  I know we are doing the Old Swiss House one night for tableside schnitzel and Prisma another night.  Will take at least a couple day trips from Lucerne -  looking at Basel and Bern but all flexible.  

*thanks to OP for letting me piggyback here 

• Like 1

I didn't find any restaurants special enough in Lucerne to write home about.  And equally I think the regional cuisine there is blah.  Places like Helvetia is nice because of outdoor seating to enjoy cool summer nights.  Restaurants along the Bank of the Reuss are more prone to being tourist traps.

When weather cooperates, the view up Mt Pilatus is superb

Hallstatt was cool.  We rerouted to Salzburg and spent the afternoon and early evening there instead of Berchtesgaden as it was my understanding that the last bus up to the Eagle’s Nest would have been after the time we arrived.  So we will do Berchtesgaden as a separate day trip from Munich.  We have another day dedicated to doing both castles, leaving early in the AM for Neuschwanstein.  

Heading to Lucerne for a week from here with a decent amount of open time on the calendar if anyone has any particularly great reccs there (esp. restaurants).  I know we are doing the Old Swiss House one night for tableside schnitzel and Prisma another night.  Will take at least a couple day trips from Lucerne -  looking at Basel and Bern but all flexible.  

*thanks to OP for letting me piggyback here 

I'd go to Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen instead for a 1-2 day trip. Incredible scenery, mountains, waterfalls, etc.

A bunch of us chimed in on the other Euro thread.

Did Spoeckmeier yesterday afternoon. Pretty decent and scenic as it seems all of Munich was out Sunday due to the good weather.

Augustiner-Keller for dinner last night. More beer.

Next up is Donisl tonight.

ps: not sure what has gotten into United lately. The short rib thing they served on flight over from IAH was pretty frickin’ good, but it doesn’t make up for the buffalo Mac n’ cheese domestic abomination