Big Little Lies season 2 - ft. Meryl Streep (6/9 premier)

Js1

Pretty good season 2 premier, though it seemed a tad different than season 1 (new director I think)?

Meryl was amazing. Meryl + Reese scenes were acting gold.  But was Meryl so expensive they could only afford 45 minutes for the premier? 

I thought the first series was excellent all the way around -- the writing, acting, music, camera work.  I was skeptical about trying to recreate the magic with a second series, but I'll admit that after last night I'm hooked again.

If I recall correctly, the original series episodes were closer to 45 minutes long than 50 or 55. 

Skeptical due to same writer/creator but without a book to go by (D&D effect), new director with a mediocre resume, previous director no longer involved.

Optimistic due to having a great cast and they convinced Meryl Streep to join, which I don't think she would've done if she didn't have confidence in the show moving forward.

Enjoyed episode 1 and hope it continues like this.

I binged all of season 1 over the weekend in preparation for Season 2 Premier.

Enjoyed it.

Wife had already seen it, so I was on my own.

Really good music...

Zoe Kravitz is hot.

the scene with Nathan and Ed, where he calls him a snide fuck :lol  I told my wife ALL of Adam Scott's characters are snide fucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I know Shailene Woodley's character is essential to the story (or at least the original series), but she once again looks like the weak link, though it's hard to stand equal to some of those other actresses.

She's a bag of crap compared to Streep, Reese, Nicole, even Laura Dern. 

Watched S1 3 or 4 times, just started it again last night due to poor planning and not knowing the new season started so soon. I am also one of those that is apprehensive of continuing the story, I thought it ended perfectly. I'll get to the new episode later this week. 

The end of episode 4 when Woodley is running and jumps off the cliff is one of the most emotionally resonant moments in TV for me. Hits me hard every time I see it. Other than that, all the therapist scenes stand out as well. Just a really outstanding series that I hope can continue to be outstanding. 

I enjoyed the cliched "wake up screaming" scenes.  And that Meryl's character standing by her daughter-in-law's bed watching her sleep is apparently a morning routine.

This show kinda insists upon itself, but in an entertaining sort of way.

Also, the "adult man playing with trains" scene reminded me of a certain other show. Dern's husband should have worn the hat...

458088961_665618aeb1_b.jpg

On 6/10/2019 at 2:46 PM, alincoln said:

Maybe they will pull it off, but there is no reason for this show to continue other than $$$

a limited series on premium cable doesn't make much money.  season twos make more, but not much more.

this is a vanity project (awards) and a favor to hbo.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

a limited series on premium cable doesn't make much money.  season twos make more, but not much more.

this is a vanity project (awards) and a favor to hbo.

LOL Meryl was like "Yo, I have never won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series" and HBO was like "say no more; Big Little Lies season 2" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

yeah, bad kid actors can ruin a movie... every one of these kids is excellent. 

It blew my mind when I realized Iggy is Young Sheldon.  Like, what a range that kid has. 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:54 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Yep.  A super hot bag of crap.

Super hot as in like a paper sack full of dogshit on fire?

That hair color and bangs are horrible on her.  I assume purposely.

She's alright though and I think a pretty decent actress.

• Haha 1

The first two episodes of this season are a total fucking wreck. First of all, it’s painfully obvious this show was supposed to be a miniseries and this second season is a cash grab. The premise of this season is based on some absurd lie. Why wouldn’t they just tell the truth about what happened with Perry? They all would have got off. That shit was completely justified. And a legitimate accident.

Then you’ve got the fucking mystical black woman trope with mom coming back and doing some bullshit voodoo nonsense. And the “I will not not be rich” line which literally made me laugh out loud at how corny it was. Ugh. This is painful. At least Reese is still a good actress and Meryl Streep gonna Meryl Streep.

10 hours ago, irishtexan said:

The first two episodes of this season are a total fucking wreck. First of all, it’s painfully obvious this show was supposed to be a miniseries and this second season is a cash grab. The premise of this season is based on some absurd lie. Why wouldn’t they just tell the truth about what happened with Perry? They all would have got off. That shit was completely justified. And a legitimate accident.

Then you’ve got the fucking mystical black woman trope with mom coming back and doing some bullshit voodoo nonsense. And the “I will not not be rich” line which literally made me laugh out loud at how corny it was. Ugh. This is painful. At least Reese is still a good actress and Meryl Streep gonna Meryl Streep.

See post 13.  If anyone would know, Gandorf would.

The premise of this season is based on some absurd lie. Why wouldn’t they just tell the truth about what happened with Perry? They all would have got off. That shit was completely justified. And a legitimate accident.

This bothers me as well. There was absolutely no need for a cover up and it’s hard to overlook that when Meryl Streep starts making accusations about Perry’s death, which was some combination of self defense and an accident.

11 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

This bothers me as well. There was absolutely no need for a cover up and it’s hard to overlook that when Meryl Streep starts making accusations about Perry’s death, which was some combination of self defense and an accident.

The "need for a cover up" was that they needed to do a second season of the show.

This reminds me a lot of Bloodline. Great, compelling first season with the narrative arc coming to a believable conclusion. Dogshit second season because they had no way to continue the story in a logical, organic way.

Another thing that kind of doesn't pass the smell test is that private school moms in Monterey, CA probably categorically exclude single moms that work at the aquarium (Jane). 

Also, we now know that Madeline has no education, and is divorced from Nathan, who has no visible means of support.  So she's a realtor now and married to dotcom? guy snide fuck Ed.  But where the hell did Nathan get his hippy commune in NoCal with a subzero?  Bonnie also has no visible means of support.

Alex and Nicole made  sense, as do Renata and Gordon.  I'm kind of unconvinced on the rest.

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Another thing that kind of doesn't pass the smell test is that private school moms in Monterey, CA probably categorically exclude single moms that work at the aquarium (Jane). 

Also, we now know that Madeline has no education, and is divorced from Nathan, who has no visible means of support.  So she's a realtor now and married to dotcom? guy snide fuck Ed.  But where the hell did Nathan get his hippy commune in NoCal with a subzero?  Bonnie also has no visible means of support.

Alex and Nicole made  sense, as do Renata and Gordon.  I'm kind of unconvinced on the rest.

It's a public school. 

On 6/18/2019 at 5:34 AM, TwiceHorn said:

See post 13.  If anyone would know, Gandorf would.

yeah, it definitely wasn't supposed to have a season two.  reese (hello sunshine) is producing it, so she was able to wrangle everyone's schedules.  but it's not like a traditional "cash grab" like a movie sequel would be.  hbo doesn't pay like that.  i guarantee you the actors aren't making shit, and the producers aren't making much more.

now that at&t owns hbo, it'll be interesting to see the future of "big budget" projects.  at least got had international appeal, and will live on forever on other platforms.  big little lies will not.

I'm surprised by the reactions. I'm usually beating a drum about nothing happening in shows. I thought the last episode was solid. Hell, we even got a change of facial expression from Zoe Kravitz.

It's interesting to me to see the characters leave the moment of balance that ended last season and start revealing their true natures. For Madeleine and Renata it's not a pretty picture. Celeste's complicated feeling for her ex are interesting to me.

I usually don't like using a therapist in a drama to get at motivations, but Calamity Jane is doing very well at being confrontational rather than merely a soothing explainer of all.

It is time for Meryl's snooping to kick the pressure into a higher state.

yeah, it definitely wasn't supposed to have a season two.  reese (hello sunshine) is producing it, so she was able to wrangle everyone's schedules.  but it's not like a traditional "cash grab" like a movie sequel would be.  hbo doesn't pay like that.  i guarantee you the actors aren't making shit, and the producers aren't making much more.
now that at&t owns hbo, it'll be interesting to see the future of "big budget" projects.  at least got had international appeal, and will live on forever on other platforms.  big little lies will not.

I guess you might be right if a million per episode for Witherspoon and Kidman is shit. Streep is close to that and Kravitz and Woodley are making $500,000+ per episode.
https://stylecaster.com/big-little-lies-cast-salary-2019-season-2/

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I guess you might be right if a million per episode for Witherspoon and Kidman is shit. Streep is close to that and Kravitz and Woodley are making $500,000+ per episode.
https://stylecaster.com/big-little-lies-cast-salary-2019-season-2/

you're right.  the top line stars are making great money.

in terms of "cash grab" it still isn't anything like what a movie sequel would be, or convincing the cast of friends or the big bang theory to come back for one more season.  i don't know the specifics of the hbo deal with the producers (only the tone and attitude of what was told to me directly) but even at a short season (only 7 episodes) this seems like the type of project hbo loses money on.

and just as far as 'non-stars' - any guest star or recurring role - hbo pays less than pretty much any network out there, because of the "prestige of being on an hbo show".

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

Hold on here.  Shailene Woodley is super hot?  Even with that awful haircut?  Or does hot mean something else in this context?  

I can look past the hair, especially since I know what she looks like in real life.  Yes, super hot.  Fight me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yoshi said:

The thing that bothers me most about this show is that Reese Witherspoon lives right on the beach and drives a Buick.   A Buick?  C'mon.   

She didn't go to college.  That's what happens when you don't go to college.  You live on the beach, but you're married to a snide fuck and drive a Buick.  Duh.

• Like 2