Big Little Lies season 2 - ft. Meryl Streep (6/9 premier)

Js1

The main plot of this season seems to be Mary Louise harassing people over a non-crime that was unnecessarily covered up. Along the way we get to watch the main characters’ lives unravel for fairly unrelated issues.

That’s a somewhat boring and directionless premise for a TV season, so it then seems like they were counting on the addition of Meryl Streep to keep it interesting. It’s as if they casted her and then wrote the season around her pesky character, rather than writing a good story and then casting accordingly.

The acting and production quality is undeniably great but the show feels a bit hollow right now.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The main plot of this season seems to be Mary Louise harassing people over a non-crime that was unnecessarily covered up. Along the way we get to watch the main characters’ lives unravel for fairly unrelated issues.

That’s a somewhat boring and directionless premise for a TV season, so it then seems like they were counting on the addition of Meryl Streep to keep it interesting. It’s as if they casted her and then wrote the season around her pesky character, rather than writing a good story and then casting accordingly.

The acting and production quality is undeniably great but the show feels a bit hollow right now.

The one thing we're getting is a sort of comeuppance for all the women who were more or less made into flawed heroes at the end of last season.  There is something kind of tasty about that.

The one thing we're getting is a sort of comeuppance for all the women who were more or less made into flawed heroes at the end of last season.  There is something kind of tasty about that.

All the while shot in and around Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. Not too shabby.

13 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Wife has me watching this show and I can't get past how irredeemably awful and insufferable most of the characters are.  Is that the point - to want these people strung up?

This

I watched season 1 and am taking a pass on season 2 for this very reason. 

On 6/26/2019 at 8:24 AM, Fozzz said:

Wife has me watching this show and I can't get past how irredeemably awful and insufferable most of the characters are.  Is that the point - to want these people strung up?

Madeline is a busybody and adultress, Renata is a snobby bitch, and Bonnie is full of self-pity...but Jane and Celeste were both terribly traumatized in pretty much the worst way a woman can be and are trying to deal with it.

Jane appears to have done a good job as a single mom and seems self-sufficient, and Celeste is dealing with tremendous grief and battered-woman guilt. i don't think those two are that awful, they've been through some serious shit.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:24 AM, Fozzz said:

It’d be a pretty boring show if they just dropped off and picked up their kids from school and had great marriages. 

• Like 1

Celeste is a real fuck up. Mary Louise will get custody for sure. 

Is she though? She took Ambien and had a one night stand? I’m just not sold that anything Celeste has done would be egregious enough to cause a mother to lose custody of her biological children.

It all feels contrived to me. It still has the feeling that their big idea for season 2 was to bring Meryl Streep aboard, then write her character and mold the other characters around her character, then make a season out of that. The plot is pretty thin right now.
  • Like 1

yeah...wtf has Celeste done that would justify removing her kids? no abuse, no endangerment, no neglect... so she's gotten fucked up a few times and brought a hot piece of ass home - when the kids weren't even there. if that's grounds to remove kids from a home... there'd be a few million more kids in the system. that's just dumb. 

• Fuck You 1

Yeah I’m gonna jump on the dog pile and say we haven’t seen shit to justify taking away Celeste’s boys and giving them to Mary Louise.

And something tells me that we’re going to find out some pretty awful shit about Mary Louise’s past in regards to the death of Perry’s brother.

I’m betting her ex husband had pretty good reason for blaming her.

I also think Jane’s new man is somehow related to Perry. Half brother from his dad’s second family? Or he’s an undercover cop. I’m not buying that he’s just an awkward cutie that’s super into Jane. He’s there for a reason and it’s not going to be good for Jane and the others.

Also, the ability of grandparents (or any non-natural parent) to "sue for custody" or visitation rights with grandchildren was severely curtailed about 20 years ago by the Supreme Court.

It would appear that Mary Louise cannot legally do what she's doing in California.

20 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I also think Jane’s new man is somehow related to Perry. Half brother from his dad’s second family? Or he’s an undercover cop. I’m not buying that he’s just an awkward cutie that’s super into Jane. He’s there for a reason and it’s not going to be good for Jane and the others.

3qkfx1.jpg

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, the ability of grandparents (or any non-natural parent) to "sue for custody" or visitation rights with grandchildren was severely curtailed about 20 years ago by the Supreme Court.

It would appear that Mary Louise cannot legally do what she's doing in California.

You can't tell Meryl Streep what she can and can't do. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The writer, David E. Kelley, is an attorney who wrote and produced a number of lawyer dramas including The Practice, Boston Legal, and LA Law. If there is a legal angle, it's probably not going to be glaringly wrong.

Kelley's story is pretty good. He was an NYC lawyer with a desire to write. He submitted a script to LA Law and boom, he's in. He managed to marry Michelle Pfeiffer in 1993 and has been enormously successful. Not bad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

I recently discovered my wife’s infidelity (see the Divorce Stuff thread elsewhere in this forum), so Adam Scott’s character is hitting me like a ton of bricks.

Which forum? Sorry to hear about the discovery. Happened to a friend of mine years ago. He was so torn about what he should do as dictated by movies and popular mythology (kick the guy's ass, feel manly) and what he was inclined to do (question her and let the guy go because physical attack didn't feel right in the moment and feel like a pussy due to useless mythology).

Good luck with it. Must be tough.

Edited by RomaVicta

On 7/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, a biological parents can be anything short of an axe murdering crack whore and still maintain custody.  This plot line is stupid unless there's a twist somewhere.

I’m just gonna go ahead and quote myself from last week.

Pa-Pow!!!

• Like 3

I can help this shows direction a lot by doing the following:

1) have Bonnie kill her mom per her wishes then kill her sled ending that horrible storyline forever.

2) have Jane drop her insufferable pussy boyfriend and have a lesbian relationship and show her body.

3) never show anyone scenes having to do with the school.

4) focus on Madeline, Celeste, Renata and Mary Louise only

You’re welcome

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't recall Nicole slipping her accent, really at all, in anything I've seen her in.  She's doing it repeatedly in this.  Maybe all the botox and silicone has tetched her in the haid.

I noticed that as well, really odd. 

That dude being an undercover cop is the stupidest shit ever 

I don't recall Nicole slipping her accent, really at all, in anything I've seen her in.  She's doing it repeatedly in this.  Maybe all the botox and silicone has tetched her in the haid.

The settlement offer meeting was a really obvious moment.

And I usually don’t hear those kind of things.

That dude being an undercover cop is the stupidest shit ever 

Agreed. I can’t imagine the city of Monterey uses undercover cops to investigate 5 housewives accidentally killing an abusive husband and rapist. And that the undercover cop works at an aquarium and hooks up with one of the “suspects”.

The plot for this season sucks. Some shows (ahem, Westworld) would be perfect if they would be content as a single season miniseries.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:05 AM, RomaVicta said:

The writer, David E. Kelley, is an attorney who wrote and produced a number of lawyer dramas including The Practice, Boston Legal, and LA Law. If there is a legal angle, it's probably not going to be glaringly wrong.

Kelley's story is pretty good. He was an NYC lawyer with a desire to write. He submitted a script to LA Law and boom, he's in. He managed to marry Michelle Pfeiffer in 1993 and has been enormously successful. Not bad.

Didn't realize he was involved.  His stuff is usually pretty good, but this may be a detail that escaped his notice.

19 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Agreed. I can’t imagine the city of Monterey uses undercover cops to investigate 5 housewives accidentally killing an abusive husband and rapist. And that the undercover cop works at an aquarium and hooks up with one of the “suspects”.

The plot for this season sucks. Some shows (ahem, Westworld) would be perfect if they would be content as a single season miniseries.

I'm not fully engaged with the show this season, so I missed the beginning of this episode and re-watched for that purpose.  I did not see him on the first viewing because once I saw "Police Station" or whatever it said, I was like "ok" and tuned out.  On rewatch, I saw him.  And also noted that the police station was Carmel By The Sea. I suppose it's slightly ambiguous as to whether he's undercover, or an informant, or something else entirely, but the possible outcomes are all kind of ludicrous.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:14 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I think the detective put her up to it, knowing they could get the other 4 women to testify under oath and then ask them about the wife beater's death.  She's not so much seeking custody as the truth about her son's death.  The custody would be icing on her dead boy's solved death cake. 

Also, agree this is a whole season written around a shitty premise.  The dude was beating the shit out of them, no way they'd have ever gotten in trouble for fighting back.  Weak sauce.

Also, the only two characters I really give a shit about are Celeste and Jane.  The rest are completely cunts.  

I do think the acting is great.  Meryl Streep is amazing.  I really want to see her character die a painful death while realizing her son was a wife beater and rapist. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

9 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I think the detective put her up to it, knowing they could get the other 4 women to testify under oath and then ask them about the wife beater's death.  She's not so much seeking custody as the truth about her son's death.  The custody would be icing on her dead boy's solved death cake.

I think you're giving these show-runners too much credit.

The part about them invoking the 5th is BS.  Yes, a fact-finder can draw an adverse inference in a civil case, but I am pretty sure the fact finder is going to be a judge (not a jury), and isn't going to want to hear a bunch of crap about an unindicted, unproven crime.  You'd have to ask a bunch of questions to make much of that, and I can't see a judge sitting still for that if there's not some actual evidence of guilt.  "Did Celeste murder Perry" isn't going to get very far.

I guess that's too technical for TV, but if you're going to go into that, and raise the issue, might as well go whole hog.

But all of this stems from the stupidity of lying about the death in the first place and that whole plot point.

Edited by TwiceHorn

That trial was grade A retarded. “If he fell he would have stopped at the sixth stair and not fallen 2 more to the landing.” 

Yeah sure. Throw that out. 

“You like rough sex? WHORE!”

I read something from my google feed, should have saved the link, explaining that this was shot by a first director (British woman) because Vallee (S1 director) was shooting that Sharp Objects shitshow.  Then Vallee came back and recut everything.  But the real problem is the writing.

Finale next week. Maybe something will happen.

They're dicking around way too much with flashbacks and things in real time that aren't actually happening.

The Zoe Kravitz storyline is, to me, a disaster. Hey, it's the second to last episode. Let's spend it creating a whole new story in the past. We'll let Zoe frown some more. Great stuff. I feel sorry for the actress.

So Celeste is going to get Mary Louise to admit, under oath, that either she killed her other child or Perry killed him and she covered it up, right?

(She mentioned in an earlier episode that her other child died and her husband left her as a result, saying “he blamed me for everything”.)

Finale next week. Maybe something will happen.
They're dicking around way too much with flashbacks and things in real time that aren't actually happening.
The Zoe Kravitz storyline is, to me, a disaster. Hey, it's the second to last episode. Let's spend it creating a whole new story in the past. We'll let Zoe frown some more. Great stuff. I feel sorry for the actress.

The Zoe/mother abuse storyline has been referenced in every episode leading up to this.

I feel like I keep posting the same thing every week. Kind of a ridiculous plot that hinges on an unnecessary lie and a seemingly unrealistic custody battle. There's been a significant decline from season 1, but I don't feel that upset about it because my expectations for the season were a little low to begin with. I don't have much else to watch right now and it's only 7 episodes to commit to, so it's easy to convince myself to keep watching. Not sure I'll stick with it for a 3rd season though, if they end up doing a 3rd season.