Big Little Lies season 2 - ft. Meryl Streep (6/9 premier)

Js1

9 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Finale next week. Maybe something will happen.

They're dicking around way too much with flashbacks and things in real time that aren't actually happening.

The Zoe Kravitz storyline is, to me, a disaster. Hey, it's the second to last episode. Let's spend it creating a whole new story in the past. We'll let Zoe frown some more. Great stuff. I feel sorry for the actress.

Actually, the Zoe Kravitz line is straight from the book. She was abused but by her father, not her mother. She notices Perry and Celeste fighting and pushes him off his balcony in a rage. The ending turns out different than how this season has handled it with the lie.  

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

The Zoe/mother abuse storyline has been referenced in every episode leading up to this.

Yes, but it's spotlighted and explored in detail in this second to last episode when we should be focusing on the upcoming "climax" of this season which is supposedly about the possible uncovering of the lie. Exploring in depth why Zoe was moved to push the victim isn't unimportant, but it also doesn't need more than a passing reference. Her scene listing her mother's crimes is a waste of time that doesn't advance the plot such as it is. And I've had enough of her brooding.

It's all a matter of taste and subjectivity. I expect others will disagree.

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Actually, the Zoe Kravitz line is straight from the book. She was abused but by her father, not her mother. She notices Perry and Celeste fighting and pushes him off his balcony in a rage. The ending turns out different than how this season has handled it with the lie.  

The source doesn't matter to me. I'm fine with a reference to it, but Zoe has never been the central character. A story about her and why she was moved to attack would make the narrative time devoted to her backstory worthwhile.

We actually don't need much of an explanation for what she did. It's not a difficult action to comprehend. A woman was being brutalized and she acted to stop it. She didn't even intend to kill the victim. Her action is one most people would hope they themselves would take.

A little more time with Streep and her machinations would be more interesting. Streep has made her character (big surprise) very interesting. She presents as someone simply following her conscience, but clearly she's playing chess to get to the bottom of how her son died.

Why not a scene with her exploring what she may be able to accomplish in the custody hearing? We see the realization of what calling all of the women to the stand may mean (strange that that didn't happen), but it might have been a better choice to see Streep executing her plan.

The show is crippled by stylistic decisions and lack of tempo. The show is buoyed by a great cast doing great work with the exception of Kravitz who has been stuck playing a single, morose note.

I just think there are numerous missed opportunities.

Edited by RomaVicta

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I feel like I keep posting the same thing every week. Kind of a ridiculous plot that hinges on an unnecessary lie and a seemingly unrealistic custody battle. There's been a significant decline from season 1, but I don't feel that upset about it because my expectations for the season were a little low to begin with. I don't have much else to watch right now and it's only 7 episodes to commit to, so it's easy to convince myself to keep watching. Not sure I'll stick with it for a 3rd season though, if they end up doing a 3rd season.

A lot of this.  A second season was not needed, I had low expectations, but they managed to go even lower.

did i miss all of Celeste's sexual conquests?? i knew she had the one... but i was caught offguard by the volume in the courtroom. that and Mary-louise actually having her followed i thought were pretty big reveals. 

to be clear...a single mom (or any woman) can have all the anonymous sex she wants as long as it's not endangering kids, which it clearly is not. ML's grounds for child removal remain ludicrous. 

Played catch up tonight with the most recent three episodes and thought (unlike many of you) the series regained a lot of its momentum, as Streep’s character is more fleshed out (she’s relying less on her dentures, more on her usual chops) and Dern continues to kill it as Renata. The “fuck you” barrage in the car was a classic monologue, and needs to become a GIF immediately. 

It’s flawed, but what isn’t? (Yeah, yeah, Chernobyl was excellent but did they really need an episode that was 80% about dog killing? We get it. Rant over.) Anyway, they still don’t always know what to do with the men (Bonnie’s husband is relegated to cussing Adam Scott each week) but speaking of Ed, he’s at least now had a significant story line. And the aquarium kid isn’t a cop, he was just pulled in by the lighter flicking detective and asked about the Five. 

Kidman on the stand was the worst beat down since the first Clubber Lang/Balboa fight. Next week, we get Kidman v. Streep, should be fun.

(And Kravitz is a beautiful woman always, but I dug the 70’s makeup as a change of pace.)

I have thoughts.

After paying closer attention to the flashbacks, it’s actually Celeste who suggests the lie first. She says to Bonnie “I pushed him”. Then Maddie says “You (Celeste) didn’t push him, you (Bonnie) didn’t push him. Nobody pushed him”.

Celeste kicked ass in court. I knew Mary Louise was responsible for the death of her other son.

When Mary Louise came to Celeste’s door, all she cared about was appearances and not the truth. “Don’t lie about me; nothing about lying about Perry. And she sure didn’t have an answer to Celeste’s question about if Perry lied. All she cared about was herself.

I was so happy for Maddie and Ed and Abigail doing the vows was amazing.
Watching that scene really emphasized the fact that Reese Witherspoon does not age. She looked 25; makes me jealous.

Also, did anyone else think that Bonnie actually poisoned her mother with the with the wine or the food? She woke up and then after eating she had a setback and died. Very suspect.

Nathan and Ed are totally the same person. They’re both in love with women who don’t love them the same way. Maddie loves Ed from a basis of security and normalcy. Bonnie uses Nathan to escape from her past and uses him to try and live the ideal image of what she thinks marriage should be.

Fuck Gordon. He gets to keep those damn toys while Renata loses everything. I cheered when she smashed everything with that bat. Too bad she didn’t use it on his head. Men like Gordon are the reason why the trope bitches be crazy exists.

I knew the minute Bonnie started texting that they were going to go tell the truth finally. Hopefully that detective finally leaves them alone but DAMN if they all didn’t look fabulous marching into the police station. Their coat games were on point.

But, seriously, fuck that ending! Especially if there isn’t a third season like has been announced.

Finally, I’m super bugged by a few storylines they just left hanging.

-Corey! Cop? Informant? Reporter? Just a dude paying a traffic ticket?

-Abigail? College? Gap year? What?

-Joseph’s scorned wife with the new tits. Did Ed say no? Did Ed actually fuck her and that’s why he feels fine moving forward with Maddie? Did she make Joseph watch and be a cuck?

-The boys teacher. He seemed like he was going to play a role in the boys’ story. Then nothing. Same with the principal.

-Perry’s father second family. Why drop in that very specific story and then never address it again?

Overall I enjoyed the season but it was nowhere near the greatness of the first.

• Like 1

I’m satisfied with that ending I think. Whether a season 3 or not. 

I was pretty meh on the season but I’m good with the ending, especially if it’s truly the ending.

I liked the positive direction they took with Maddie and Ed, the outcome with Celeste (although that plot was ridiculous to begin with), and I guess Jane is finally moving forward. I feel terrible for Renata but her scenes are the best each week. Not sure how to feel about Bonnie’s story because it’s depressing from every angle - pushing and killing Perry, resenting her mother, not loving her own husband.

I like that it ended with them entering the police station to presumably confess. I hope they leave it at that but kinda doubt they will.

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Finally, I’m super bugged by a few storylines they just left hanging.

-Corey! Cop? Informant? Reporter? Just a dude paying a traffic ticket?

They covered that. The detective called him in, knowing he was dating Jane, to try and dig any info out of him. Asking him if Jane had admitted anything to him. I imagine he is telling the truth, as anything else is too far fetched.

Agreed that it was an OK season but far from S1. I think it wrapped up nicely and we do not need any further seasons. I mean, what would S3 be anyway, the aftermath of them telling the truth? I am fine assuming 4 of the 5 get a slap on the wrist and maybe Kravitz character gets a little harder slap, like maybe probation.

7 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Wait. Was that the season finale???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to think 8 episodes/season for Netflix was weird.  Then HBO was like "lol, nah, just 7"

Damn...didn't even notice that was the finale.

I appreciated the acting...but when I would describe it to people who haven't seen it I couldn't really come up with a good summary except.."rich people problems in California".

I really like the cast and the acting. Top notch. 

I did not like the filming constantly flashing back or flashing forward, or sideways...it got annoying and was used too often that it was hard to tell if something was happening off-screen in the present or not.

Like yall say it can't really go on anymore...Could have had one more episode though at least.

I would watch a spin-off with Celeste and Renata go out double dating and banging random dudes. (While Jane babysits of course).

57 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Can somebody explain to me how Renata had the flashback to Mary Louise's car wreck that killed Perry's brother?

Don't think she had it, think Kidman's character(terrible with recalling character names) had it, thinking back on what her asshole hubby told her.

Edited by bamachine

I kinda hope that was it and I'd be fine w/ it.  But it did specify season finale and not series finale, so who knows. 

I’ve read a couple places that David Kelley has said this season is probably the end with no current plans for a third season. I hope they all stick with that.

24 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Don't think she had it, think Kidman's character(terrible with recalling character names) had it, thinking back on what her asshole hubby told her.

Yeah, I messed up on the character name. Celeste/Kidman was Perry's wife.

28 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I’ve read a couple places that David Kelley has said this season is probably the end with no current plans for a third season. I hope they all stick with that.

I'm happy if so.  There's no lie anymore.  We don't need to know what happens to them if they confess. 

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

I'm happy if so.  There's no lie anymore.  We don't need to know what happens to them if they confess. 

Agreed.  Other than the criminal charges which may result, there's really no other plot lines worth the effort.