Oberlin College hit with $11M judgement in libel/defamation lawsuit

Beau Vine

8 hours ago, SDG said:

It’s not that you disagreed; it’s that, by your own admission, you did exactly zero research before blessing us with your conclusion...

I read this thread and couldn’t see what justified 44m. And the basic stories on the web didnt mention much in terms of financial losses.  Was only asking for detail that wasn’t listed here.  

But I ignored this thread for a while and will resume that. Please continue with your fun. 

• 2 months later...

Ted Koppel of CBS Sunday Morning had an excellent synopsis of this fiasco - I highly recommend watching the full story at the link - it clearly illustrates the danger of wokeness unchecked.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oberlin-college-and-gibsons-bakery-a-protest-against-racism-and-a-31-5-million-dollar-defamation-award/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab8c&linkId=76396619

• Like 1

no fucks given is right, and a shitload of people at the college will most likely celebrate Davids upcoming death as being deserved.

just like his dad, hes probably going to die being considered a raging racist because they dared to arrest all shoplifters of their store, regardless of color.  as the trial paperwork showed the store had something like 40 people arrested for shoplifting in the 3 years before this incident, and the racial breakdown of the 40 people almost exactly mirrored the racial profile of the county.  

But woke perception is everything today, real statistics be damned

the world has gone apeshit. we have crazies on both ends of the political spectrum heavily influencing agenda for each party. the middle and sanity are gone.

you're either woke as shit and all white people are bad or you're nazi as shit and anyone but white people are bad.

i blame the internet and targeted media. when you can filter your news and information for only the news that you want and ignore any dissenting information, your world view is only going to get more fanatical. 

• Like 5

i blame the internet and targeted media. when you can filter your news and information for only the news that you want and ignore any dissenting information, your world view is only going to get more fanatical. 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/nov/03/smartphones-david-mitchell-dishonesty-second-best-policy-extract

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

the world has gone apeshit. we have crazies on both ends of the political spectrum heavily influencing agenda for each party. the middle and sanity are gone.

you're either woke as shit and all white people are bad or you're nazi as shit and anyone but white people are bad.

I think this is the perception due to the crazies having more of a voice.  The term "vocal minority" has never been more apt.  Social issues are also the most easy to reduce down to a bumper sticker and shout from the roof tops.

You don't see ideologues online trying to talk tax revenue as a percentage of GDP and distill the historical implications of Hauser's Law.  It's bathrooms.  Gender.  Are you poor or nor.  Rich?  Ironically, everything except gender is now binary.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

The fact is that, virtually speaking, they don’t exist in the same world. There is no unified reality, and that really might be a disaster. Objective truth may always have been unattainable, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t worth striving for.

If we all just settle into small, mutually ignorant online support groups exchanging comforting half-truths, then civilisation is in for a rough ride. No one will know what is really going on, and working out what is really going on has, for most of history, been humankind’s main purpose. 

A conclusion well-stated.

I was quite pleased to see Obama come out with his pointed criticism of woke/cancel culture.  Collectively, we have made it much easier to 1) create and 2) focus on "demons" than ever before.  And we're only interested in the information that supports our already-established conclusion and worldview.

Hell, I like to think that I'm pretty deliberate, and better than most, at wanting to see all of the facts and see all of the evidence (or at least the large bulk of it) before forming an opinion/conclusion.  I mean, I am conscious of the idea that this approach is what I SHOULD do, and it's the right thing to do.....yet I still fall short plenty of times, and form an instant opinion.  Sure, sometimes it's challenging, because many times, the evidence is just one or two facts, and your instant opinion has all the basis it will ever get or need.  But knowing the difference between those scenarios and more complex scenarios is hard as hell.

Shit, I suspect that if we tried to live by a pretty elementary code of:

1) whenever possible, choose to be kind and decent to other people

and

2) whatever opinion I may have about anything, pause to seriously consider the possibility of "maybe I'm wrong"

then we'd be much better off.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I was quite pleased to see Obama come out with his pointed criticism of woke/cancel culture.  Collectively, we have made it much easier to 1) create and 2) focus on "demons" than ever before.  And we're only interested in the information that supports our already-established conclusion and worldview.

Hell, I like to think that I'm pretty deliberate, and better than most, at wanting to see all of the facts and see all of the evidence (or at least the large bulk of it) before forming an opinion/conclusion.  I mean, I am conscious of the idea that this approach is what I SHOULD do, and it's the right thing to do.....yet I still fall short plenty of times, and form an instant opinion.  Sure, sometimes it's challenging, because many times, the evidence is just one or two facts, and your instant opinion has all the basis it will ever get or need.  But knowing the difference between those scenarios and more complex scenarios is hard as hell.

and

2) whatever opinion I may have about anything, pause to seriously consider the possibility of "maybe I'm wrong"

I think your 1 and 2 points are spot on.  However, from my experience, a significant amount of people cannot or will not live by #2. They will tell you that they will, but their actions will negate what they say. A lot of people simply don't want to be objective. They want their opinion reinforced, plain and simple, and yes targeted media isn't helping in that regard.

7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I think this is the perception due to the crazies having more of a voice.  The term "vocal minority" has never been more apt.  Social issues are also the most easy to reduce down to a bumper sticker and shout from the roof tops.

You don't see ideologues online trying to talk tax revenue as a percentage of GDP and distill the historical implications of Hauser's Law.  It's bathrooms.  Gender.  Are you poor or nor.  Rich?  Ironically, everything except gender is now binary.  

why would  i want to distill the historical implications of something that doesn't actually exist?

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

and

Yep.  We'd all do a little better by observing Matthew 22:34-40.   Even if the disbelievers and naysayers just stuck to Matthew 22:39, we'd be in a much better place.  I'm trying hard, Ringo.  

and

The problem with #2 on your list is that it seems that most people want that for *everyone else* and find themselves exempt.

It’s like the old poll that showed that everyone wanted all the politicians voted out...except their guy.

16 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The problem with #2 on your list is that it seems that most people want that for *everyone else* and find themselves exempt.

It’s like the old poll that showed that everyone wanted all the politicians voted out...except their guy.

I can't think of single politician who represents me at any level that I have voted for.

edit: just thought of one-- County Judge. But I'd gladly have that dipshit voted out if it meant all the others also voted out. Only reason I voted for him was because his opponent was so far up the ass of law enforcement she probably had a cross with a blue line tatooed on her ass.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2019 at 12:22 PM, David Dennison said:

I expect an update when the case is reversed on appeal or settled for a much lower amount.

I mean, I guess you are partially right.   Oberlin appealed. 

The original $44 Mil verdict ($11m + $33M for punitive damages) got reduced to   $31.6M

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Mighty fine said:

whoever wrote that fucking update report was doing everything possible to be as incorrectly "neutral" as possible.

based all the facts presented in this thread for the last 3 years.... this fucking line  quoted below was purposely written to obfuscate what really happened and to make it seem like this verdict not being reheard on appeal coming completely out of left field.   Hint: the trial, and the first appeal both proved it had been an extra-ordinary school-led retaliation that was clear and planned almost from the day after the incident occured.  which is why the Ohio Supremes chose not to listen to the appeal.

The Lawsuit was filed a year after David Gibson's son, also named Allyn, chased and tackled an underage, Black male student he suspected of having stolen a bottle of wine.Two Black female students who were with the male student tried to intervene

It almost makes it sound like the store owner tackled a 15, 16, 17 year old... which is bullshit.

The shoplifter was under the drinking age, but 19 fucking years old. i.e. a fucking adult. 

There was no "suspecting" he stole the wine, he's on camera stuffing something under his clothes, that he didnt (and legally couldnt pay for) which turned out to be not 1, but 2 bottles of wine.

And the 2 women didnt fucking "intervene" they fucking jumped in and started kicking and punching the storeowners son once he started detaining the shoplifter.   

Even if the women didnt intend it, they became accomplices to the shoplifting by trying to "help" their friend by beating down the guy doing a citizens arrest... which is why they also got arrested and all 3 plead guilty to charges.  AND as part of their plea bargain all 3 agreed that the shoplifter had, in fact, shoplifted and that the owner of the store was correct in trying to detain him... thats a pretty important point missing from this update report. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2