Oberlin College hit with $11M judgement in libel/defamation lawsuit

Beau Vine

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Too bad this stupid bitch threw away a quarter mil on tuition and didn't actually learn anything.  

I’m sure kameron Dunbar would be fine with a coordinated in person, print, and social media campaign designed to convince everyone that she is racist and has been for some time. She would brush it off as free speech. 

• Like 1

Total of $44mm awarded 

Oberlin market awarded $44M in lawsuit
Owners of a market accused of racism have been awarded more than $44 million in a lawsuit, accusing Oberlin College of libel and hurting their business. A jury in Lorain County, awarded David Gibson, son Allyn Gibson and Gibson's Bakery $33 million in punitive damages Thursday. That comes on top of an award a day earlier of $11 million in compensatory damages. The protests occurred in November 2016 when Allyn Gibson, who is white, got in a fight with three black students after one shoplifted. The episode triggered protests against the business. An Oberlin attorney argued the school has subsequently become a better community partner and works with students to be good neighbors.

https://www.wksu.org/post/morning-headlines-ryan-qualifies-first-debate-oberlin-market-awarded-44m-lawsuit#stream/0

that’s gonna leave a mark.  

from the article in the op

In August, the three students at the center of the tumult pleaded guilty to amended misdemeanor charges — Aladin to attempted theft, aggravated trespassing and underage purchase of alcohol. Before their sentencing, which involved restitution but no jail time, each student read a statement acknowledging that Gibson was justified in trying to restrain Aladin and that the owner’s actions had not been racially motivated, according to court documents.

President left a note:

Dear Members of the Oberlin Community,

By now many of you will have heard about the latest development in the Gibson’s Bakery lawsuit, a jury’s declaration of punitive damages against Oberlin. Let me be absolutely clear: This is not the final outcome. This is, in fact, just one step along the way of what may turn out to be a lengthy and complex legal process. I want to assure you that none of this will sway us from our core values. It will not distract, deter, or materially harm our educational mission, for today’s students or for generations to come.

We will take the time we need to thoughtfully consider the course that is in Oberlin’s best interests. I will update the community as we make these decisions. I am confident that when we resolve this matter, it will look substantially different than it looks today.

Smokey_and_the_Bandit_%25281010%2529_Mov
I'm not giving up!!!!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

President left a note:

By now many of you will have heard about the latest development in the Gibson’s Bakery lawsuit, a jury’s declaration of punitive damages against Oberlin. Let me be absolutely clear: This is not the final outcome. This is, in fact, just one step along the way of what may turn out to be a lengthy and complex legal process. I want to assure you that none of this will sway us from our core values. It will not distract, deter, or materially harm our educational mission, for today’s students or for generations to come.

We will take the time we need to thoughtfully consider the course that is in Oberlin’s best interests. I will update the community as we make these decisions. I am confident that when we resolve this matter, it will look substantially different than it looks today.

I'm not giving up!!!!

Tripling down on stupid.  Thats a bold move, but isnt the best legal course at this point to shut up and negotiate the payment down?  They have some leverage as the bakery caters to the university but thats alot of fuck you money that even 100 years in business will make you question.   

1 hour ago, SDG said:

Tripling down on stupid.  Thats a bold move, but isnt the best legal course at this point to shut up and negotiate the payment down?  They have some leverage as the bakery caters to the university but thats alot of fuck you money that even 100 years in business will make you question.   

Probably right.  I am guessing they have some grounds of appeal on first amendment issues, at least.  That should provide some leverage over the judgment.

I think it's ok to say something to that effect, but that last sentence is a doozer.

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

President left a note:

I'm not giving up!!!!

This stands in contrast to the conciliatory tone taken by Oberlin College in arguingno punitive damages were needed:

“You have spoken,” said Oberlin College attorney Rachelle Kuznicki Zidar to the jury. “You have sent a profound message. We have heard you, and believe me, colleges across the country have heard you,” She also looked at the Gibson family and said, “The college doesn’t hate you.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/legalinsurrection.com/2019/06/oberlin-college-vows-to-fight-gibsons-bakery-verdict-this-is-not-the-final-outcome/amp/

“You have sent a profound message,” she told the jury. “Colleges across the nation have heard you” and Oberlin College in particular “never wants to sit at this table ever again.”

http://www.chroniclet.com/cops-and-courts/2019/06/12/Gibson-s-Bakery-v-Oberlin-College-Plaintiffs-rest-in-second-day-of-punitive-phase.html

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I'm confused about something. I just read the complaint and the background says that the main student in question used a fake ID to obtain wine but also shoplifted some in his jacket. They charged him with second degree robbery. What is the difference between robbery and shoplifting in this case? Is it because a store employee tried to stop him and he resisted that turned it into a robbery?

58 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I'm confused about something. I just read the complaint and the background says that the main student in question used a fake ID to obtain wine but also shoplifted some in his jacket. They charged him with second degree robbery. What is the difference between robbery and shoplifting in this case? Is it because a store employee tried to stop him and he resisted that turned it into a robbery?

Did you find a collection of pleadings somewhere?  I'd like to see them.

A) No person, in attempting or committing a theft offense or in fleeing immediately after the attempt or offense, shall do any of the following:

(1) Have a deadly weapon on or about the offender's person or under the offender's control;

(2) Inflict, attempt to inflict, or threaten to inflict physical harm on another;

(3) Use or threaten the immediate use of force against another.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911

19 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably right.  I am guessing they have some grounds of appeal on first amendment issues, at least.  That should provide some leverage over the judgment.

I think it's ok to say something to that effect, but that last sentence is a doozer.

That’s my point; anything they say or write is going to show up in the appeal so why provide any ammo?  It sounds like they are getting bad legal advice or not taking it.  

3 minutes ago, SDG said:

That’s my point; anything they say or write is going to show up in the appeal so why provide any ammo?  It sounds like they are getting bad legal advice or not taking it.  

Nah.  It won't.  It isn't part of the appellate record unless they do it in some kind of court filing.  But it's not calculated to make peace with the other side or at least not antagonize them.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nah.  It won't.  It isn't part of the appellate record unless they do it in some kind of court filing.  But it's not calculated to make peace with the other side or at least not antagonize them.

Thanks.  I learn something new every day.  It’s good to know that next time I get sued I can talk shit during the appeals process. 

Just now, SDG said:

Thanks.  I learn something new every day.  It’s good to know that next time I get sued I can talk shit during the appeals process. 

Just because it won't be argued or before the appeals court formally doesn't make it a good idea.

9 hours ago, SDG said:

That’s my point; anything they say or write is going to show up in the appeal so why provide any ammo?  

Because they're stupid and arrogant and they're used to getting their way if they complain enough, which is how they think the world works.

Here's video of the arrest, starting at 1:55. The dude actually cries out for his mom.

It's funny. In the video the cop says everyone was on top of David Gibson beating on him but none of the mainstream news outlets are reporting that. In Salon's article recapping the facts of the case a few days ago all they do is repeat Oberlin's claim that Gibson physically attacked the student, which was never proven, and ignored the actual facts.

From your link

Amazingly, the school thought they could get Gibson’s and the city to drop the shoplifting charges against the three students, in exchange for the school business restored with Gibson’s. On December 02, 2017, less than a month after the protest, Tito Reed, set an email to her boss, Krislov, laying out how she thought things could be fixed. This is what the jury read today:

“So can we draft a legal agreement clearly stating that once charges are dropped the [purchase] orders [with Gibson’s] will resume. I’m baffled by their combined audacity and arrogance to assume the position of victim.”

school running their own little Gestapo 

25 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

From your link

Amazingly, the school thought they could get Gibson’s and the city to drop the shoplifting charges against the three students, in exchange for the school business restored with Gibson’s. On December 02, 2017, less than a month after the protest, Tito Reed, set an email to her boss, Krislov, laying out how she thought things could be fixed. This is what the jury read today:

“So can we draft a legal agreement clearly stating that once charges are dropped the [purchase] orders [with Gibson’s] will resume. I’m baffled by their combined audacity and arrogance to assume the position of victim.”

school running their own little Gestapo 

Oberlin College sounds like it sucks.  No, actually it doesn't sound like it.  It does suck.  What a fucking clusterfuck of idiots.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I for one will not be buying anything from that bakery. And it's not because I live 3 states away. ("state" as conqueror/oppressor anthropocentric construct, completely arbitrary.)

What about if they have any good deals on leftover cakes for same sex couples?

Edited by phdhorn

That twitter thread is amazing.  This is my favorite part (so far):

McDaniel said he started taking pictures with his cell phone, and a young man came up to him and started blocking his phone with flyers in his hand. McDaniel said he kept moving and the man moved with him, blocking his ability to take picture over and over. “I’m with the college,” the man answered when the former Oberlin College police chief asked him why he was blocking his ability to take pictures.

McDaniel testified he found out later the man hounding him over picture taking was Julio Reyes, associate director of the school’s multi-resource center. “He was attempting to intimidate me and I don’t intimidate easily,” McDaniel said.

“I told him ‘I’m going to just going to wait until your silly ass leaves and [I’ll] start taking pictures again without you trying to block me,.’ “McDaniel testified. “He answered that he was going to come back when I wasn’t looking and key my car.”

Edited by Beau Vine

its not every school, and its not every campus, but we as a country have managed to raise a large portion of generation that is attending school which honestly believes that they will be able to make the world a better place if nobody does anything to offend anyone ever. 

No discourse, no debate, just SJW's lockstep in their belief that they are right and everyone who doesn't believe that they are right, is not only wrong, but a racist nazi. 

Im honestly wondering what happens in 10 years when all these "kids" legitimately start failing in the real world, what their reaction might be.  And I am genuinely concerned that they are going to run to the only hole card that they know works.... calling everyone who stops their promotions, racist, youthist, sexist, homophobic assholes.  and they might start royally fucking up good peoples lives by doing so. 

• Like 5