impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

interesting to announce today, before the transcript comes out.  the gop was not expecting that, what with all their pre-prepared talking points for tonight/tomorrow about what a nothing-burger the transcript would be.  now it should be obvious that this isn't just about that.

also loving the idiot republicans storming the tv/internet with, "oh please, they've been trying to impeach this president since before he was sworn in."

dynamite comeback, full of fact and reason.

Nixon had 3 top Congressional Republicans tell him that he faced certain impeachment and conviction if he didn't resign. Presumably Clinton did not have that conversation since the Senate didn't come close to convicting him.  One has to wonder if Trump would even listen to anyone telling him that this would occur.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nixon had 3 top Congressional Republicans tell him that he faced certain impeachment and conviction if he didn't resign. Presumably Clinton did not have that conversation since the Senate didn't come close to convicting him.  One has to wonder if Trump would even listen to anyone telling him that this would occur.

He would not.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

What is a realistic timeline on impeachment proceedings? 

I believe we are at March 1973 right now.   So... 17 months from now Trump will be out?   Just a few months after his reelection.

• September 15, 1972: Hunt, Liddy, and the Watergate burglars are indicted by a federal grand jury.
  • November 7, 1972: Nixon re-elected, defeating George McGovern with the largest plurality of votes in American history.
  • January 8, 1973: Five defendants plead guilty as the burglary trial begins. Liddy and James W. McCord Jr. are convicted after the trial.
  • January 20, 1973: Nixon is inaugurated for his second term.
  • February 28, 1973: Confirmation hearings begin for confirming L. Patrick Gray as permanent Director of the FBI. During these hearings, Gray reveals that he had complied with an order from John Dean to provide daily updates on the Watergate investigation, and also that Dean had "probably lied" to FBI investigators.
  • March 17, 1973: Watergate burglar McCord writes a letter to Judge John Sirica, claiming that some of his testimony was perjured under pressure and that the burglary was not a CIA operation, but had involved other government officials, thereby leading the investigation to the White House.
  • April 6, 1973: White House counsel John Dean begins cooperating with federal Watergate prosecutors.
  • April 27, 1973: L. Patrick Gray resigns after it comes to light that he destroyed files from E. Howard Hunt's safe. William Ruckelshaus is appointed as his replacement.
  • April 30, 1973: Senior White House administration officials Ehrlichman, Haldeman, and Richard Kleindienst resign, and John Dean is fired.
  • May 17, 1973: The Senate Watergate Committee begins its nationally televised hearings.
  • May 19, 1973: Independent special prosecutor Archibald Cox appointed to oversee investigation into possible presidential impropriety.
  • June 3, 1973: John Dean tells Watergate investigators that he has discussed the cover-up with Nixon at least 35 times.
  • July 13, 1973: Alexander Butterfield, former presidential appointments secretary, reveals that all conversations and telephone calls in Nixon's office have been taped since 1971.
  • July 18, 1973: Nixon orders White House taping systems disconnected.
  • July 23, 1973: Nixon refuses to turn over presidential tapes to Senate Watergate Committee or the special prosecutor.
  • Vice President replaced:
  • October 20, 1973: "Saturday Night Massacre" – Nixon orders Elliot Richardson and Ruckelshaus to fire special prosecutor Cox. They both refuse to comply and resign. Robert Bork considers resigning but carries out the order.
  • November 1, 1973: Leon Jaworski is appointed new special prosecutor.
  • November 17, 1973: Nixon delivers "I am not a crook" speech at a televised press conference at Disney World (Florida).
    • November 27, 1973: the Senate votes 92 to 3 to confirm Ford as Vice President.
    • December 6, 1973: the House votes 387 to 35 to confirm Ford as Vice President, and he takes the oath of office an hour after the vote.
  • January 28, 1974: Nixon campaign aide Herbert Porter pleads guilty to perjury.
  • February 25, 1974: Nixon personal counsel Herbert Kalmbach pleads guilty to two charges of illegal campaign activities.
  • March 1, 1974: In an indictment against seven former presidential aides, delivered to Judge Sirica together with a sealed briefcase intended for the House Committee on the Judiciary, Nixon is named as an unindicted co-conspirator.
  • March 4, 1974: The "Watergate Seven" (Mitchell, Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Colson, Gordon C. Strachan, Robert Mardian, and Kenneth Parkinson) are formally indicted.
  • March 18, 1974: Judge Sirica orders the grand jury's sealed report to be sent to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
  • April 5, 1974: Dwight Chapin convicted of lying to a grand jury.
  • April 7, 1974: Ed Reinecke, Republican lieutenant governor of California, indicted on three charges of perjury before the Senate committee.
  • April 16, 1974: Special Prosecutor Jaworski issues a subpoena for 64 White House tapes.
  • April 30, 1974: White House releases edited transcripts of the Nixon tapes, but the House Judiciary Committee insists the actual tapes must be turned over.
  • May 9, 1974: Impeachment hearings begin before the House Judiciary Committee.
  • June 15, 1974: Woodward and Bernstein's book All the President's Men is published by Simon & Schuster (ISBN 0-671-21781-X).
  • July 24, 1974: United States v. Nixon decided: Nixon is ordered to give up tapes to investigators.
  • Congress moves to impeach Nixon.
    • July 27 to July 30, 1974: House Judiciary Committee passes Articles of Impeachment.
    • Early August 1974: A previously unknown tape from June 23, 1972 (recorded a few days after the break-in) documenting Nixon and Haldeman formulating a plan to block investigations is released. This recording later became known as the "Smoking Gun".
    • Key Republican Senators tell Nixon that enough votes exist to convict him.
  • August 8, 1974: Nixon delivers his resignation speech in front of a nationally televised audience.
  • August 9, 1974: Nixon resigns from office. Gerald Ford becomes president.

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

You know it’s actually refreshing that Alabama doesn’t have any Trumpy Senators to add more embarrassment.

We’ve got an actual Democrat and Shelby has been remarkably under the radar during all this Trumpism.

It’s weird.

Shelby went to Moscow on the Fourth of July with my bumpkin Senator 

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Could you even see Moscow Mitch, Kevin McCarthy, and Chuck Grassley going to the White House and telling Trump to resign or be removed from office?

Me neither. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

He used to be a democrat too.  

Our other Senator is worse. 

Louisiana is really fucking stupid. 

But he's folksy tho!!

I didn't catch his segment, but I'm sure it went something like "You know my grandmama used to huddle us around the stove and tell us that if you shake a sunflower hard enough the seeds can shed light on your life, so that is why we need to look at Uranium One" MSNBC host "Ohhhhhhhh. K. We're not sure what that...OK, thanks Senator" 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I still want to see it. I want them fucking their careers and party for decades. It will be glorious either way.

GOP Senators running for reelection in 2020 are in:

GA (2), WY, TN, MS, MT, NE, NC, OK, SC, SD, TX, WV, KS, ME, LA, KY, IA, ID, CO, AR, AZ, AK

In most of these states, Trump could commit live genocide on TV while loading the contents of the US Treasury onto his yacht and swearing allegiance to Putin, and still be reelected.  Those Senators are going to vote that way as well.

The GA and NC GOP has been busy shredding voter registrations and completely opening their election systems to hostile actors.  They are both going to swing back GOP in a big way because of it.

So that leaves the GOP Senators from ME, IA, CO, and AZ as the only ones vulnerable.  Those 4 probably lose either way.

All this and the Senate needs a 2/3 vote to convict and remove.  That simply isn't going to happen.  Our Senate is far more likely to support our official annexation by Russia than it is this impeachment.

Follow that up with intentional severe population undercounts in "blue" states, and this slide into fascism under minority rule is really just getting started.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Could you even see Moscow Mitch, Kevin McCarthy, and Chuck Grassley going to the White House and telling Trump to resign or be removed from office?

Me neither. 

They don't have to tell him that because there is no reason or crime that would ever cause those three to ever vote to remove Trump.  Trump could rape their wives and burn their houses down on video and they would still support him.  They only need 26 Senators to block removal.  They have that with 10 to 20 Senators to spare.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

They don't have to tell him that because there is no reason or crime that would ever cause those three to ever vote to remove Trump.  Trump could rape their wives and burn their houses down on video and they would still support him.  They only need 26 Senators to block removal.  They have that with 10 to 20 Senators to spare.

it's 2/3 senate, no?

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Holy shit, the Dems don’t have to votes to pull this off in the Senate?!?!?! Has anyone told Nancy? We gotta let her know before it’s too late! 

Fuck Nancy.  The House should absolutely vote to impeach.  The Senate is going to tell the House and us to go fuck ourselves.  What are we going to do about it in the end though?  We can't do fuck all about the Kentucky electorate.  90% of the GOP Senators are going to be reelected.  Brisket is right.  The nation is not savable because there is nothing that can stop the minority party from being as shitty as it wants to be while maintaining control of the Senate. 

This is really just the beginning.  After President Warren or whoever is elected, Moscow Mitch will refuse to confirm any judicial appointments starting on day 1.  He'll also refuse to vote on any House passed healthcare or tax reform bills.

• Like 1

there was something posted months ago about a course of action that goes through the house but never really gets to the senate for a vote (and obviously doesn't end in removal anyway) but seemed like a smart move and something that would frustrate the hell out of mcconnell and trump, if they never got a chance to "win" in the end.

can anyone remember or does anyone know what that is?  the timing of this seems like something that could happen.  either that or force a vote right around next november.

• Like 1

Just now, sachick said:

When did this stuff with Biden’s son go down? I’m assuming it didn’t happen last week. I’m assuming that it happened years ago and Republicans has plenty of time to investigate.

the claim is that all illegal enrichment happened during his vice-presidency.

trump let the media know that people and their families are not allowed to make money with their private businesses while holding high public office.

i believe it has been investigated, and nothing of substance was found.  someone else can update this i'm sure.