impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

13 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Could backfire. The Senate Prez candidates get to show off a bit in that setting. I have been largely impressed with Harris during previous showings but not impressed with her candidacy overall. Could help the candidates that have these skills to make a move up. 

The Senators don’t really do anything during a Senate trial.  They merely act as the jurors.  Members from the House act as the prosecutors and defense attorneys in a Senate trial.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, otisdog said:

And jurors don't do anything?

They don't examine witnesses.  Harris was fairly dramatic examining witnesses (in a cheap stunt sort of way) during the Kavanagh hearings.  People are thinking of that and Hugo's right, there won't be any of that.

I should say typically.  I don't know what the current rules provide, because they could provide anything, including that "jurors" are entitled to question witnesses.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I wish we were going to see seriousness and sober contemplation today, but... well... GOP...

Instead we will see from the Republican sides something resembling much more a 6th grade student council debate.  Where baseless assertions are repeatedly presented as facts by the 6th graders.  I wish I could say otherwise but the GOP has become a group of whores alergic to factual information of any kind.  Even more sadly many of my friends and neighbors have also shown themselves to be whores rather than the principled people that used to vehemently have so very many things that offended them "on principle." 

Trump has turned the Republican party into a mirror image of his own family, a corrupt group whose only God is money and power.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Schiff didn't say a damn word after that freak show.  At least call him out for lying about pretty much everything.  But nope, let's just ignore it and move on.  

CNN: "Nunes got in some good shots early. It was important for the GOP to start strong. Can the democrats recover?". 

Just now, otisdog said:

Please excuse my constitutional ignorance  - does not the Senate vote on the outcome of the impeachment trial?  If so, I wouldn't characterize the involvement as "doing nothing".

I didn't say that.  Hugo said they act as jurors, I was elaborating on that point.