impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

Just now, hayden_horn said:

you would think. he's asking questions to which he does not know the answers. he's hamstringing himself. it's kind of amazing. 

I don't know how any lawyer could ask successful questions here though, given all the lying trump and the gop have done.  What are the options,  Lie about facts?  Character assassination of these public servants appointed by Republicans?

And I can't see many good trial attorneys agreeing to questioning on behalf of the likes of Nunes.

so, the republican strategy is to try and highlight the act of a politician self-dealing? seriously?

i'm honestly stumped as to the motivation behind this line of questioning from castor.

it was obvious that the democratic counsel had a destination and a set of waypoints to get there.

this line of questioning is kind of all over the place.

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

you would think. he's asking questions to which he does not know the answers. he's hamstringing himself. it's kind of amazing. 

Goldman: Asks a question, gets an answer, takes into account the previous answer when asking his next question.

Castor: Asks a question, gets an answer, moves onto next question regardless of previous answer.

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

so, the republican strategy is to try and highlight the act of a politician self-dealing? seriously?

i'm honestly stumped as to the motivation behind this line of questioning from castor.

it was obvious that the democratic counsel had a destination and a set of waypoints to get there.

this line of questioning is kind of all over the place.

Trying to defend the indefensible.

For fucks sake, they're jUsT aSkInG qUeStIoNs. Not making any point, just saying "doesn't that look weird?" without showing anything concrete - COMPLETELY IGNORING the entire reason the committee was called.

I wonder if Schiff is going to call multiple rounds of counsel questioning just to pants the GOP and show their talking points are unsubstantiated

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

What's your take on this as a whole? @TwiceHorn

Is Castor just running through a script loosely framed as questions?

You don't want to ask a question that you don't know the answer to because on cross, the lawyer is really supplying the answers and the witness is agreeing to them, while seeming to actually give the answers  Or that's how it's supposed to work.  The cross-examination of Amber Guyger was masterful this way.

The other thing is, no good witness examination ever comes from a script.  EVER.  A keyword outline, maybe, but never a script.

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

his continual "mm hm" clearly demonstrates he is not listening - just queuing up the next question

Yeah, he's trying to create a narrative based solely on his questions. Keep asking questions about Hunter Biden so you create the impression that he was somehow corrupt, even when you don't get the answers you want and can't produce any evidence to support corruption charges.