impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well then....maybe they shouldn't have let that fucking happen.  Lazy fucks.

I posted this article a couple of weeks ago.  

More than a year before his Ukraine columns published, The Hill had serious concerns about Solomon’s credibility and conflicts of interest. Hill staffers began raising alarms, including the paper’s publisher at the time, who warned in an internal memo that Solomon was engaged in “reputation killing stuff” by mixing business with journalism.

In response, The Hill’s management took steps to limit Solomon’s reporting — rebranding him as an opinion writer — but did not prevent him from writing his Ukraine series.

“Nothing I did would have put The Hill’s reputation at risk,” Solomon said.

Solomon came to The Hill, which specializes in inside-the-Beltway news, in July 2017 after a decades long career that included stretches at The Associated Press, The Washington Post and The Washington Times. His work has earned accolades, including a series examining what the FBI knew ahead of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. He is now a contributor to Fox News.

Brought in as an executive vice president overseeing a new digital video enterprise now known as Hill.TV, Solomon continued to operate as a journalist, publishing news articles in the paper, while also playing a role on The Hill’s business side. That began to trouble colleagues within months of his hiring, according to internal memos and interviews with current and former staffers.

In late October 2017, The Hill published a story on the decisive role of Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, in the upcoming vote on the Trump administration’s tax bill. The article, authored by two journalists who reported to Solomon, included a quote from the executive director of Job Creators Network, a conservative group that claimed the bill would help small-business owners in Maine.

Soon after, Johanna Derlega, then The Hill’s publisher, wrote two memos to the company’s president, Richard Beckman, worrying that Solomon was tearing down the traditional wall separating the business side and the news coverage. She noted that Solomon had negotiated a nearly $160,000 advertising deal with Job Creators Network, targeting business owners in Maine. Solomon then had a quote from that group’s director inserted in the story.

Solomon “pops by the advertising bullpen almost daily to discuss big deals he’s about to close,” Derlega wrote, adding, “If a media reporter gets ahold of this story, it could destroy us.”

“While I highlight this one example, John has been given the freedom, and possibly financial upside, to work with advertisers while clearly sitting within editorial,” Derlega wrote.

Six months later, in April 2018, Derlega was forced out of The Hill. The Hill’s owner, president and top editors haven’t responded to detailed questions about Derlega’s memos and Solomon’s tenure at the paper. A spokesman for the advertiser, Job Creators Network, didn’t respond to an email seeking comment.

And of Nov 8, they were still pushing Republican hit pieces.  Check out Sharyl Attkinson's portoflio

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tuco said:

I'd put the selective amnesia percentage considerably lower.  It'd be one thing if it was three years ago.  This was 3 months ago, and it was something he had appeared to have a strong opinion on.  I'm betting his lawyers are telling him it won't stand up in a perjury trial. And I don't think he is acting like someone who is willing to do prison time to cover Trump.   I think it's 50% he doesn't testify (either takes the fifth, jumps on the executive privilege bandwagon painfully late, or there is a delay while he works through a deal.) If he does testify, I think it's 50/50 on whether he says Trump explicitly told him to push the investigation-for-military support, and whether he just pretends he wasn't told explicitly to push the quid pro quo, but had misinterpreted the President's intent.  This latter approach would be roughly consistent with his past testimony, but would continue to put Sondland at risk should their be direct evidence to the contrary.  

Based on that WSJ story, and some other articles, covering the emails that are out there, and we know the House committee  has copies, he sounds like a big driver of this thing   

Hell, his people may have put some of the emails out there to cover his ass, to say that Perry, Mulvaney, and Trump are all in on this.   Or maybe they were leaked by the Dems to make sure that everybody knows he’s knee-deep in the middle of this thing   

You're right, he’s definitely not somebody who will go to jail for Trump.

And he’s got the money to hire some of the best lawyers out there.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-says-he-will-consider-testifying-in-impeachment-probe-11574087576?mod=hp_lead_pos3

The top lawyer for the Democratic-led House told a federal court that Congress was considering articles of impeachment against President Trump based on evidence obtained by former special counsel Robert Mueller, an indication that the case against the president could go beyond his interactions with Ukraine.

Separately, Mr. Trump said he would consider testifying in the impeachment probe despite calling it a witch hunt, saying he was intrigued by the possibility of providing his own version of events.

In court Monday, Douglas Letter, the House general counsel, told judges that Democratic lawmakers were looking at whether Mr. Trump lied in his written answers to the special counsel’s office, saying that one of the redactions in the Mueller report raised questions about the president’s truthfulness. That report, which came out earlier this year, was the result of the nearly two-year-old investigation of Russian election interference and whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice.

“There is evidence that the president may have provided untruthful answers,” said Mr. Letter in arguments before a three-judge panel of a federal appeals court in Washington, D.C.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And he’s got the money to hire some of the best lawyers out there.  

And not just best lawyers, but his own lawyers.  They aren't White House lawyers discussing how to protect the White House, or of the GOP bench with a particular slant.  He is getting advice that is meant to protect him and his interests.  

On 11/16/2019 at 7:19 PM, Bama Chick said:

Ted Cruz, a United States Senator and supposed constitutional scholar, using “Alice In Wonderland” quotes time support his position on impeachment.

I have to restate that any GOP officials with a brains repeating these silly arguments must be doing so only because they are a knowing collaborators in the the GOP criminal organization that recognizes no moral or legal restraint to doing whatever it wants. Their pockets are stuffed with foreign money. Their tactics are willfully against the good of the United States. They whore themselves out to enemies without and enemies (stonewalling recognition of the real threat of a changing climate) within.

If it comes tumbling down, most will likely land softly because of their class and friends. I would hold a mass hanging. I think the people would approve a mass public hanging. This is treason at its core. There is only one best way to respond to treason: Hooded faces dropping and then stopping abruptly punctuated by kicking, twitching feet.

We won't do that because the ruling class will think they are joined by the other 98% in the belief that men like these, men of such background (and color) aren't really, really criminals like the faceless people we throw in the slammer everyday to be raped and forced into committing prison crimes.

Without that sort of punishment, where is the deterrent for future such acts? Spending time in jail, then getting out to live like a king isn't such a bad gig.

Mass. Hanging.

Edited by RomaVicta
Sloppy verb agreement. Had to slap 'em around and get 'em in line.
  • Like 4

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-says-he-will-consider-testifying-in-impeachment-probe-11574087576?mod=hp_lead_pos3
The top lawyer for the Democratic-led House told a federal court that Congress was considering articles of impeachment against President Trump based on evidence obtained by former special counsel Robert Mueller, an indication that the case against the president could go beyond his interactions with Ukraine.
Separately, Mr. Trump said he would consider testifying in the impeachment probe despite calling it a witch hunt, saying he was intrigued by the possibility of providing his own version of events.
In court Monday, Douglas Letter, the House general counsel, told judges that Democratic lawmakers were looking at whether Mr. Trump lied in his written answers to the special counsel’s office, saying that one of the redactions in the Mueller report raised questions about the president’s truthfulness. That report, which came out earlier this year, was the result of the nearly two-year-old investigation of Russian election interference and whether Mr. Trump obstructed justice.
“There is evidence that the president may have provided untruthful answers,” said Mr. Letter in arguments before a three-judge panel of a federal appeals court in Washington, D.C.

Same mo as in the Mueller investigation. Keep floating that trump wants to testify, but he never actually does. Meanwhile the press reports on multiple occasions with headlines that his testimony is being considered/arranged. It’s bs and they need to stop reporting it until his testimony is actually scheduled, i.e. never.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I have to restate that any GOP official with a brain repeating these silly arguments must be doing so only because they are a knowing collaborator the the GOP criminal organization that recognizes no moral or legal restraint to doing whatever they want. Their pockets are stuffed with foreign money. Their tactics are willfully against the good of the United States. They whore themselves out to enemies without and enemies (stonewalling recognition of the real threat of a changing climate) within.

If it comes tumbling down, most will likely land softly because of their class and friends. I would hold a mass hanging. I think the people would approve a mass public hanging. This is treason at its core. There is only one best way to respond to treason: Hooded faces dropping and then stopping abruptly punctuated by kicking, twitching feet.

We won't do that because the ruling class will think they are joined by the other 98% in the belief that men like these, men of such background (and color) aren't really, really criminals like the faceless people we throw in the slammer everyday to be raped and forced into committing prison crimes.

Mass. Hanging.

https://www.ruinedby.design/zinestore/gilly-amp-billy-enamel-pin

Here's an easy Christmas gift for your friends and family. 

GillyEnamelPin.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think Nancy baiting him into testifying might actually work.  She plays him like a fiddle.

I'm waiting for her to taunt him with the "jiggling balls" gesture and do the 'The Warriors' bottles on fingers clink.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

The Hill Editor-In-Chief Bob Cusack has announced that he will begin doing his fucking job today.

3 hours ago, Chooky said:

The Hill Editor-In-Chief Bob Cusack has announced that there's a new Bob Cusack in town and that Bob Cusack better "watch his back."

Spoiler

19 year old Ione Skye, forgot about her.

Edited by zork

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I have to restate that any GOP officials with a brains repeating these silly arguments must be doing so only because they are a knowing collaborators in the the GOP criminal organization that recognizes no moral or legal restraint to doing whatever it wants. Their pockets are stuffed with foreign money. Their tactics are willfully against the good of the United States. They whore themselves out to enemies without and enemies (stonewalling recognition of the real threat of a changing climate) within.

Without that sort of punishment, where is the deterrent for future such acts? Spending time in jail, then getting out to live like a king isn't such a bad gig.

Mass. Hanging.

The soft landing bit gnaws at me and it always has. I watch the teachers when I volunteer and it bugs me that Jesus doesn't get the same break that Jaden does when they both have talked out of turn or some other school day infraction. My youngest has been walking in the hallway with one of his friends and they stop the friend (Hispanic) when they check for IDs. And on and on.

Life isn't fair, but what outstanding thing has Jaden/Berunden/Elsie done to deserve such perks other than be white and have rich parents? Nothing. And when the crimes escalate, for all people carry on about slaps on the wrists for drug dealers and rapists, the Central Park 5 have to look at the blank pages in their photo album where many years are missing. So, I say we give the traitors the same treatment that our President wanted meted out for the Central Park 5:

"Mayor Koch has stated that hate and rancor should be removed from our hearts. I do not think so. I want to hate these muggers and murderers. They should be forced to suffer ... Yes, Mayor Koch, I want to hate these murderers and I always will. ... How can our great society tolerate the continued brutalization of its citizens by crazed misfits? Criminals must be told that their CIVIL LIBERTIES END WHEN AN ATTACK ON OUR SAFETY BEGINS!"

Somebody get a rope.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Grammar bug

Mass. Hanging.

Gibbets for the most corrupt. Deportation to their benefactors with asset forfeiture for the next tier. Let’s see how much the russians really like a unconnected former gop useful idiot like a Ted en masse.

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The soft landing bit gnaws at me and it always has. I watch the teachers when I volunteer and it bugs me that Jesus doesn't get the same break that Jaden does when they both have talked out of turn or some other school day infraction. My youngest has been walking in the hallway with one of his friends and they stop the friend (Hispanic) when they check for IDs. And on and on.

Life isn't fair, but what outstanding thing has Jaden/Berunden/Elsie done to deserve such perks other than be white and have rich parents? Nothing. And when the crimes escalate, for all people carry on about slaps on the wrists for drug dealers and rapists, the Central Park 5 have to look at the blank pages in their photo album where many years are missing. So, I say we give the traitors the same treatment that our President wanted meted out for the Central Park 5:

JFC, your kids go to school with a Jaden (believable) and a Berunden?  What the blue fuck is a Berunden?

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Except this time he got a Dr's note that he can't testify, but he really wants to. 

I laughed, and this breakdown probably is directly related to the impeachment hearings/public testimonies.   I’m now wondering if Sondland signaled something to Trump this weekend about what he’s going to do in his public testimony this week, and hearing it nearly killed Trump.  

It’d be a shame for Sondland to have to live with causing Trump’s death, but what does he have to lose by serving the whole damned truth to Congress and the the public?

I laughed, and this breakdown probably is directly related to the impeachment hearings/public testimonies.   I’m now wondering if Sondland signaled something to Trump this weekend about what he’s going to do in his public testimony this week, and hearing it nearly killed Trump.  

It’d be a shame for Sondland to have to live with causing Trump’s death, but what does he have to lose by serving the whole damned truth to Congress and the the public?

Sondland is like Trump, he won’t give a shit as long as it makes his own outcome better.

18 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Sondland is like Trump, he won’t give a shit as long as it makes his own outcome better.

Two HSCI members signaled on Friday that Sondland “is on thin ice” for misleading Congress (lying) as a result of new evidence coming out since he initially testified behind closed doors.  A lot came out Friday to the public.  There’s potentially more not yet public.

Right now, I think Sondland leaves no room to get nailed for lying to Congress.  House staff counsel leading the public questioning should load for bear.

edit:  also keep in mind Sondland turned a phone over to State Dept for safe keeping from Congress.

Edited by triplehorn

39 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

If you listen closely there's actually two. The first was at the very beginning. He was turtling.

I heard the first one thought that was it and then totally surprised by the second one.

Edited by TexasEd

7 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Same mo as in the Mueller investigation. Keep floating that trump wants to testify, but he never actually does. Meanwhile the press reports on multiple occasions with headlines that his testimony is being considered/arranged. It’s bs and they need to stop reporting it until his testimony is actually scheduled, i.e. never.

If Trump is as dumb and manipulatable as people think he is, then Pelosi, Schiff and company should be able to goad him into testifying.

pretty sure he wanted to testify in person to mueller, but his lawyers talked him out of it (and there were stories basically saying they would've physically restrained him).

then they taught him the phrase, "perjury trap".  which is trouble when you cannot ever stop lying.

he's not lying about a perfect phone call.  that's how his brain actually works.  he thinks it's perfect.  he thinks he's done nothing wrong.  no other republicans are disputing the facts like he is, and he's not spinning.  he actually thinks everything is cool.  i'm sure he'd love to sit down and tell his story, but no chance his atty's let him.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

JFC, your kids go to school with a Jaden (believable) and a Berunden?  What the blue fuck is a Berunden?

The Berunden/Brunden was a Jonah Hill joke. Back when the movie came out, our kids loved Ben Stiller. Here's the scene for reference, the whole thing has us rolling-sorry for the quality, I grabbed the first one I ran across:

Today the President has a Cabinet meeting in the morning, and lunch with VP Pence. The in-house press pool will be present for the first meeting, no press for second but that is not unusual. Depending upon the testimony that begins at 8:00 this morning(?), that will be whoo boy fun. Pence will need some Rolaids. Someone who keeps secrets like he does has probably got stomach acid all the way up to his ears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You gotta be shitting me. The purple heart combat veteran who has served honorably for 20+ years has a twin brother who is an ethics lawyer?? It's going to be a real knee slapper when republicans attack his credibility. 

I doubt they attack him. They will spend their time trying to get him to indirectly out the whistleblower then attack shifty shitty Schiff when he tells them to fuck off. 

You gotta be shitting me. The purple heart combat veteran who has served honorably for 20+ years has a twin brother who is an ethics lawyer?? It's going to be a real knee slapper when republicans attack his credibility. 

Speaking of shitting you, I was wondering why #shartgate is trending and this appears to be it