impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He’s not going to fall on the sword for Trump. He doesn’t want to go to prison.

That’s what I have to think as well. Rich donors may be willing to help a president but go to prison for them? It’s not like Sondland doesn’t know where some other trump allies have/are ending up.

There’s also a 3rd option for Sondland today: “On the advice of counsel, I’m invoke the 5th amendment”

side note: someone on CNN had a good idea for Schiff. He needs to be creating a filling in a timeline of all of these events.  Helps the people at home. And it’s not like he couldn’t publish it online and point viewers to it.

Haven't found the full statement out yet, but a WaPo article this morning has some notable excerpts. Colludy Rudy is going under the bus 

Sondland: "Mr. Giuliani’s requests were a quid pro quo for arranging a White House visit for President Zelensky. Mr. Giuliani demanded that Ukraine make a public statement announcing investigations of the 2016 election/DNC server and Burisma. Mr. Giuliani was expressing the desires of the President of the United States, and we knew that these investigations were important to the President."

EDIT: here's the opening statement

Edited by Captainant
Found the statement

Assuming if true, how does Giuliani not find his ass in the impeachment hearing soon? I know refers to himself as trumps personal attorney but I’m fairly certain that client-attorney privilege doesn’t apply when you’re performing zero legal work for your client.  And can friends of the president claim exec privilege? He isn’t part of the exec branch.

The White House is openly attacking an Army officer with a  20-year spotless record, who served and was injured in a war zone, and ultimately shifted his career to working in national security. 
I'm sure we will hear the lame excuses from others on the right that they disagree with the President's actions but that we elected a fighter. Anyone that doesn't actively call out this attack on the military, deserves to get tossed out of their political office.

Republicans shit on the military all the time and they (the military and other republicans) love them for it.

I do wonder if trump gets away with this, will organized crime bosses be allowed to be held to the same standard? Assuming they donate to the republicans of course.

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

So is Sondland claiming Rudy is really the one behind all of this?  Trying to protect Trump by throwing Rudy under the bus?

No, his statement makes clear that it wasn't "rogue foreign policy" because it was all at the direction of the president of the United States. Rudy is just a cog in the machine that's at trumps explicit and exclusive direction

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

Gordon D. Sondland going to do his republican duty and say the orange dude didn’t do anything whatever his high-paid personal lawyers tell him to do in order to stay out of prison. 

Fixed.  Sondland's lawyers ain't there to protect Trump and the GOP, they are there to protect Sondland.

• Like 3

Lulz, you're up Gym and Moo

"I know that members of this committee have frequently framed these complicated issues in the form of a simple question: Was there a ‘quid pro quo?’” Sondland planned to say, according to prepared remarks. “With regard to the requested White House call and White House meeting, the answer is yes.”

8 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

As much as I hate everything about Bolton's foreign policy and economic ideals, it is possible that he may not be a traitor and drew a line in the sand.  If so, he is someone who I would buy a beer for in spite of him being entirely wrong about everything else except treason.

Bolton is an ideologue.    If he was canceling meetings and bitching that Mulvaney, Rudy, etc. were cooking up "drug deals", then Bolton was not a Team Trump player.

One thing I've noticed in all of the testimony I've seen, and highlights, with almost all of the witnesses, Rudy and his irregular channel shenanigans are always floating around in the background.

I know a lot of you in Austin may be irritated the Trump is visiting today because of the traffic.  But I love the fact that he is doing a public appearance today after Sondland's testimony.  Maybe we will get a panic attack on live TV.  Maybe he will declare martial law.  But the pressure is certainly there, and I want cameras on the idiot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Sondland is acting like he doesn't have a care in the world.

Yep.  He's not going to prison, he's worth a shitload, and he isn't going to lose his fortune.  And, plenty of other witnesses have already opened the door for him to have to tell the truth, since he does not want to be nailed for perjury.

He may have Trumpkins and Trump angry at him, tweeting away at him, etc., but with his kind of money, he doesn't have to give a fuck.  And plenty of his buddies will probably pat him on the back and laugh about it.

Just now, Bama Chick said:

God I’m so tired.

Can Republicans do the right thing just this one time and throw our mob boss president out of office?

They can go back to being wrong assholes right after. Just do one right thing.

Pipe dream.  There isn't one Republican senator, much less 20, who have the political spine to do anything but suck off Trump. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bama Chick said:

God I’m so tired.

Can Republicans do the right thing just this one time and throw our mob boss president out of office?

Republicans in Congress are acting like they are compromised in some way, they are going to ignore the lifeboats and try to ride this out.

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

God I’m so tired.

No because every GOP politician is afraid of the backlash from the hardcore Trump supporters. It's possible that some GOP senators, not up for re-election and in a red state, could at least acknowledge some concerns about Trump's behavior.

I wouldn't be surprised if more GOP politicians start to give fewer and fewer comments in support of Trump.  They might claim that they have other work to attend to so they can't comment on individual testimony they didn't see or read yet.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

This is the dagger witness if justice is to prevail, but that ledge is looking mighty tempting.

Don't worry, Republicans will attack Sondland hard.  Goldman will ask questions he and Sondland know the answer to. Republicans will hint at all kinds of shit about Sondland.