impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

34 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Are there any witnesses scheduled for next week? If they wanted to go straight to articles of impeachment after this, these would be nice closing witnesses. Highlight the national security implications. There's a treasonous aspect underlying the bribe, for sure. 

T-giving recess.  They all head for DCA this afternoon.

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

I tried to see what was on the poster (“No. No. No.”) during the break but so far no luck. I suspect it has to do with quid pro quo and Sondland ‘s testimony yesterday.

I know someone asked about it. 

I think its the turner questions where he asked Sondland about whether Trump specifically ordered him to to tie the investigations to the aid.  

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I tried to see what was on the poster (“No. No. No.”) during the break but so far no luck. I suspect it has to do with quid pro quo and Sondland ‘s testimony yesterday.

Probably answers to: "Did you ever hear the President say 'Please pursue a bribe and extortion plot under my instructions.'?"

Edited by Yuk

I love the Trumper who called in to CSPAN and, after throwing around right-wing talking points about the travesty of the hearings, Adam "Schitt" and his hate, etc. she demanded that BOTH SIDES need to get back to doing what they were elected to do.

Uh . . . they were elected to consider impeachment of a corrupt official, as much as anything else.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

The people calling in (Alabama) are just so fucking dumb when it comes to this stuff. I don't want to see any President impeached, but when you have clear testimony pointing towards these offenses, you have to let the partisanship go and do what's right. You'd gain a lot more credibility by being willing to sacrifice your own for the betterment of the country.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yuk said:

Probably answers to: "Did you ever hear the President say 'Please pursue a bribe and extortion plot under my instructions.'?"

Yep.

They use mob tactics/talk to carry out orders instead.

"This was a vintage mob operation with Trump at the top not putting his fingers too directly on things but sending out his lieutenant Rudy Giuliani..."

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Dems should just put up a OH, MOMMA MIA! MOMMA MIA! poster.

If the President had owned this back in September it would be over by now.  Instead we have credible witnesses testifying to Congress about how the promotion of these theories is evidence that Trump, Giuliani, et al are compromised  by Putin.  Now Devin Nunes is getting pulled into it as well.

Rocket scientist calling in to CSPAN says that because the Democrats are running an investigation on their political opponent, the President should be able to do the same thing.

The whole "foreign agent" aspect of Trump's request seems to elude a large percentage of the right.

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Rocket scientist calling in to CSPAN says that because the Democrats are running an investigation on their political opponent, the President should be able to do the same thing.

The whole "foreign agent" aspect of Trump's request seems to elude a large percentage of the right.

Yeah. That was odd. She also said that she thinks that this investigation is mind-boggling and shouldn't be happening. Then said that anybody accused of a crime should be investigated, even the president. 

The talking points are getting skewed by their own inabilities to process those talking points against what they know deep down to be right. I like it. Their brains are fracturing.

Just now, SquishMitten said:

Yeah. That was odd. She also said that she thinks that this investigation is mind-boggling and shouldn't be happening. Then said that anybody accused of a crime should be investigated, even the president. 

The talking points are getting skewed by their own inabilities to process those talking points against what they know deep down to be right. I like it. Their brains are fracturing.

Right wing propaganda for the past 30 years has broken a significant portion of our populace.  This is how empires crumble.

• Like 4

The subtext, was "except THIS president"

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

Their brains are fractured.  Were that not the case, Donald Trump would not have been elected President.

• Like 1

It's really the weakness of their propaganda system.  David Frum has a piece in the Atlantic about it.  It insulates them from cognitive dissonance, but doesn't allow them to seem coherent or even sane to those outside the walls.  That and they're morons.

13 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

If the President had owned this back in September it would be over by now.  Instead we have credible witnesses testifying to Congress about how the promotion of these theories is evidence that Trump, Giuliani, et al are compromised  by Putin.  Now Devin Nunes is getting pulled into it as well.

Now? Just now?

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Nunes has been to Ukraine how many times exactly? Does Schiff not think that the GOP would accord *them any courtesy? Just serve his butt and ask him questions. You can’t ask him to step down because the GOP would cry foul so make him answer to his association with people under investigation.

*Democrats in a similar situation 

Yeah, you don't want him to step down.  The most unfair procedural trick the Dems have done in this impeachment was select the committee for the public hearings.  In doing so, they specifically picked Schiff vs. Nunes.  This was not accidental.  The last thing the Dems want to do is have him step down and allow the Republicans an opportunity to select a replacement.  If the Parnas connection has legs, all the better.  And the Dems don't have to say a damn thing in the hearings, just let the press run with it as the Nunes rambles through conspiracy theories for the public to see. 

31 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Yeah, but his over 60 cult members absolutely believe that the rest of the world hears as badly as they do.

The self-awareness is something they share with the President.

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Listening to these callers on CSPAN during the break.  Wow. 

Yeah, it was raising my blood pressure yesterday and so I have been working during the breaks. 

12 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Ok, so I missed most of the testimony this morning while walking my dogs but did listen to some in the car and noticed Fiona Hill has an English accent...has anyone accused her of being a spy yet? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

After hearing Bolton’s colorful metaphors - “hand grenade” and “drug deal” - I want him to testify more than ever.

Give us the pizazz, Johnny.

Especially if he'll talk about his final fight with trump. Everyone at the time assumed that it was about the proposed Camp David Taliban meeting but maybe this played into it as well.

Made the mistake of returning to television and a caller is citing a YouTube source as evidence of Joe  Biden’s corruption. Reporter just dropped in there that you can see the entire clip from the Council on CSPAN.org, not that it will matter. 

This active measures and disinfo is running into people who down it one big gulp. 

3 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Especially if he'll talk about his final fight with trump. Everyone at the time assumed that it was about the proposed Camp David Taliban meeting but maybe this played into it as well.

Can they compel that conversation (or whatever the legal term is)? That would seem (to me) like testimony that might not be allowed. To be clear, I am referring to their explicit conversation. The bolstering of Hill’s testimony would be damage enough one would think.