impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

The irony of everyone losing their mind about Hill's accent is that, as she pointed out,  she speaks with a regional accent (or more accurately a dialect) that is so strongly associated with coal mining poor people it would likely prevent her from higher level employment in either government or the corporate world. 

So for an English person watching her testimony, this is likely jarring in the way it would be for an American watching someone with a thick Kentucky or W Va. Appalachian dialect address British parliament. 

• Like 5

If you don't win politically, all you are doing is documenting shit for the historians to come around later and talk about how bad it was in 2019.  Maybe.  

If Trump wins a second term and the Republicans hold the Senate, the courts - Supreme and otherwise- are going to be fucked up for a very long time. 

Scoring political points is not some ignoble goal. 

I think it is way too early to determine if the Democrats are getting punished in the polls. I think it was the right thing politically and morally to pursue the impeachment.  I think it would be completely idiotic to abandon it now based on some minor shifts in polling, even if you trust the polling.  

But, if the Dems and Reps made a deal, I'm going to wait until that deal plays out before I worry too much about whether the Dems made a bad deal.  Absent the "dead girl/live boy" scenario, a censure vote was the best you could have ever hoped for as far as the official result.  You can argue that a continued, extended impeachment could have hurt Republicans more than Democrats, but a censure vote is a big deal politically.  For those Republicans who vote with it, they will lose Trumpster support.  For the Republicans who vote against it, the fact that 20+ Republicans voted for it would make it easy to cast the holdouts as partisan tools.  If the impeachment dies in the Senate (without a deal) with a unified Republican vote, the damage is going to limited to how independents and moderate Republicans view it.  If there is a censure vote the Republicans sign on for, it strikes at the heart of the GOP/Trump divide.  I'd take that.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Hill said the Dossier was a rabbit hole... 

(but it’s one of the only things the republicans have been talking about for the last two and a half years.)

Checkmate Libs

She also suggests in her earlier testimony that it was potential Russian disinformation intended to create distraction and Steele got played. 

Edited by Anastasis

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The irony of everyone losing their mind about Hill's accent is that, as she pointed out,  she speaks with a regional accent (or more accurately a dialect) that is so strongly associated with coal mining poor people it would likely prevent her from higher level employment in either government or the corporate world. 

So for an English person watching her testimony, this is likely jarring in the way it would be for an American watching someone with a thick Kentucky or W Va. Appalachian dialect address British parliament. 

Kennedy.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is such an interesting point and I didn't understand how rigid the English class structure was until an English ex pat in Australia explained it to me during my year abroad. He had moved there because his Manchester accent basically made it impossible for him to advance past a certain point in the corporate world, so he took a job with Rio Tinto in Australia and emigrated.

• Like 1

Just now, Bateshorn said:

This is such an interesting point and I didn't understand how rigid the English class structure was until an English ex pat in Australia explained it to me during my year abroad. He had moved there because his Manchester accent basically made it impossible for him to advance past a certain point in the corporate world, so he took a job with Rio Tinto in Australia and emigrated.

That is fooking shite.

LMAO at Devin Nunes invoking James Madison.  

Representative, I did not serve with James Madison, I didn't know James Madison, James Madison was not a friend of mine.  Representative, you are so not James Madison, regardless of the fact that I have never met you or him.

So jurors met and conspired with a defendant's lawyer and family member before the trial. That's something to be proud about.

White House and Republicans discuss limiting impeachment trial to two weeks

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/white-house-and-republicans-discuss-limiting-impeachment-trial-to-two-weeks/2019/11/21/3e02edf8-0c9a-11ea-a49f-9066f51640f6_story.html

A group of Republican senators and senior White House officials met privately Thursday to map out a strategy for a potential impeachment trial of President Trump, including proceedings in the Senate that could be limited to about two weeks, according to multiple officials familiar with the talks.

Republican Sens. Mike Lee (Utah), Ron Johnson (Wis.), John Neely Kennedy (La.), Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.), Ted Cruz (Texas) and Tom Cotton (Ark.) met with White House counsel Pat Cipollone, acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, senior adviser Jared Kushner, and counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway, according to the officials, some of whom requested anonymity to discuss a private meeting.

The meeting was organized by White House legislative affairs director Eric Ueland, who was also in attendance along with advisers Pam Bondi and Tony Sayegh, recently hired to guide the White House’s impeachment messaging and strategy.

No final decisions were made on strategy for a trial that, if it happens, would come in January at the earliest. But one prominent scenario discussed, according to officials, was a trial that would last for roughly two weeks, which several Senate Republicans view as the ideal option because they believe it would be long enough to have credence without dragging on too long.

The scenario assumes the proceedings would end in acquittal in the GOP-controlled Senate.

“I don’t want them to believe there’s an ability to dismiss the case before it’s heard,” Graham said Thursday following the meeting with Cipollone. “I think most everybody agreed, there’s not 51 votes to dismiss it before the managers get to call the case.”

But even a two-week trial could run counter to what Trump has expressed privately. The president is “miserable” about the ongoing impeachment inquiry and has pushed to dismiss the proceedings right away, according to people familiar with Trump’s sentiments.

“No final decision has been made,” one senior White House official said Thursday. Other options, including a longer trial, were discussed, and could still happen.

During the meeting, there was also a discussion of whether to seek additional evidence or call witness such as Hunter Biden, the son of former vice president and potential Trump 2020 rival Joe Biden. The House impeachment inquiry is centered on Trump’s alleged attempts to Ukraine to announce investigations of the Bidens to help his reelection.

The senators and senior White House officials also discussed the potential of having limited or no defense on the president’s behalf — although several congressional allies have repeatedly stressed that they want ample time for Trump and his attorneys to make his case in public.

The private meeting underscored the increased coordination between the White House and Senate Republicans as the House proceedings appear to point to likely impeachment as early as next month. Even if the House votes to impeach Trump — the third U.S. president in history with that mark — Democrats face a potentially insurmountable hurdle for conviction in the Senate, where 67 votes would be needed to remove Trump from office.

Cruz, who confirmed he attended the meeting earlier Thursday with top White House officials, stressed that he believed it was imperative that both the House impeachment managers and the president’s attorneys get time to make their arguments.

“If and when the matter comes to the Senate, I think it’s incumbent on the Senate to do much better,” Cruz said in an interview. “I expect the Senate to conduct proceedings that are fair, that respect due process and that allow both sides to present their case, to present their witnesses, to present their evidence and for the Senate then to render a judgment consistent with the law and Constitution.”

Cruz declined to delve into details, but said the group discussed “where we are, what’s coming up next, what hurdles are likely to be.”

The 53-member Senate Republican Conference has been divided on how long a Senate trial should be. Some align with Trump’s view, seeking to dismiss it as soon as possible. Others have sought a middle-of-the-road option like two weeks.

Still others have toyed with a more drawn-out trial that has the potential to scramble the schedules of a half-dozen Democratic senators who are running for president but would be jurors in an impeachment trial.

What polls are credibly showing that support for impeachment is going down?  That would be shocking to me -- are they watching this??  This is stunning, compelling stuff with the evidence all on one side. The Dems largely look competent and professional, and the R's are a disgraceful, embarrassing clown show. So what gives?  

9 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Still others have toyed with a more drawn-out trial that has the potential to scramble the schedules of a half-dozen Democratic senators who are running for president but would be jurors in an impeachment trial.

That would be fucking stupid - you can bet that those Democratic Senators would love the free air-time and to be heard by everybody.

And it would be fucking stupid to drag Hunter Biden into the Senate, because that plays right into the narrative that Trump was trying to hurt Joe Biden.  But Trump and Co. are too fucking stupid to see that, because they see everything through their own lens, and not that of a normal person.

3 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

What polls are credibly showing that support for impeachment is going down?  That would be shocking to me -- are they watching this??  This is stunning, compelling stuff with the evidence all on one side. The Dems largely look competent and professional, and the R's are a disgraceful, embarrassing clown show. So what gives?  

Well you see people are really fucking stupid.

4 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Nominal movement in either direction on impeachment and removal question.  It’s somewhere around a 50/50 split

6 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

We are a country chock full of stupid.  Trump will get impeached, acquitted by the senate and re-elected.  Welcome to our future. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I love that #GymJordanIsAnIdiot is trending on Twitter right now. 

Right now, arguably two men are regretting being elected - Trump and Devin Nunes.  Trump for obvious reasons.  Prior to yesterday, Nunes couldn't go on the internet without being mocked - he's going to live the rest of his life knowing that his kids, grandkids, etc. get on the internet and look him up, they are going to find countless people mocking his intelligence.  And now, this Lev Parnas stuff has completely tainted him.

But Gym Jordan, when all is said and done, may join that little club.  The stench of the athlete/molestation stuff is probably going to affect his run next year.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Right now, arguably two men are regretting being elected - Trump and Devin Nunes.  Trump for obvious reasons.  Prior to yesterday, Nunes couldn't go on the internet without being mocked - he's going to live the rest of his life knowing that his kids, grandkids, etc. get on the internet and look him up, they are going to find countless people mocking his intelligence.  And now, this Lev Parnas stuff has completely tainted him.

But Gym Jordan, when all is said and done, may join that little club.  The stench of the athlete/molestation stuff is probably going to affect his run next year.  

Yet, they'll both get reelected by huge margins.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

dude.

i wish i had your naive optimism.  nunes and jordan are going to be fine.