impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

Ya know, most days I consider myself pretty smart. I’m no genius or anything but a reasonably intelligent person.

Then someone like Fiona Hill comes along and makes me realize, damn, I’m an idiot.

I feel a lot better about the quality of some of our govt talent after listening to her. I envisioned a bunch of Ricky Perry’s running around.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

What polls are credibly showing that support for impeachment is going down?  That would be shocking to me -- are they watching this??  This is stunning, compelling stuff with the evidence all on one side. The Dems largely look competent and professional, and the R's are a disgraceful, embarrassing clown show. So what gives?  

If this is in fact the case, one reason might be might be general indifference caused by the sheer number lies, incidents, shady characters, investigations, and almost daily buffoonery by DJ.  The list is so long and over such a long period of time that it is just "one more thing" even though it is a really big thing that is not given its proper weight.

Its like this: 

My wife:  What did you get done this morning?

Me: I unclogged the septic line and was elbows deep in shit all morning, but I got it done. You really have got to stop flushing the baby wipes down the toilet.

My wife: That's all? I made coffee, returned some emails, made some phone calls, got the boys up, turned the dishwasher on, and made the bed.  Honestly, I don't know why it takes you so long to get stuff done.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Does anyone know what role Roberts would play in the trial?  Does he have the power to determine what witnesses can be called, or can the Senate write the rules?

Roberts would be the judge (presiding officer) but McConnell makes the rules.

Edited by Pasken

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yet, they'll both get reelected by huge margins.

Just now, sidis said:

dude.

i wish i had your naive optimism.  nunes and jordan are going to be fine.

Oh Nunes and Gym will get re-elected, but they've tossed their reputations in the shitter for Trump (arguably to win favors with Trumpkins in their districts), but they will live knowing that their families will never stop seeing that stuff about them.

They are just way too thin-skinned not to let that shit eat at them.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I feel a lot better about the quality of some of our govt talent after listening to her. I envisioned a bunch of Ricky Perry’s running around.

Well they are working on it.  Look how many good people have left the Commerce, Agriculture, EPA, Interior, and Treasury depts.

• Like 3

On the one hand, I completely understand the Dems argument that we have enough to proceed.  

On the other hand, I think they look rational and smart taking their time and attempting to get Pompeo, Bolton, Perry, Mulvane and others to testify.  At a minimum, the documents being withheld should be forced to be provided.  I can't fathom that passing this off to Judiciary or the Senate makes any of those things happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, deech said:

On the one hand, I completely understand the Dems argument that we have enough to proceed.  

On the other hand, I think they look rational and smart taking their time and attempting to get Pompeo, Bolton, Perry, Mulvane and others to testify.  At a minimum, the documents being withheld should be forced to be provided.  I can't fathom that passing this off to Judiciary or the Senate makes any of those things happen.

If we could get any of those guys sworn before congress, then they'd know they could be looking at perjury.  Not sure how many would really be willing to take a bullet for Trump.

1 minute ago, deech said:

Their only shot to remove the president is to have those guys testify.

Without them, this is just an effort to sew doubt for re-election and a gamble. Understandable and needed but without the firepower needed to get to 67 senators.

8 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't know anything about Jordan's district. Are they all unemployed boomers surrounded by closed down factories? 

I was there in August....the Timken Bearing factory is still open. What blew me away was the yard sales - people where selling everything . Furniture, beds, cars, snow blowers, everything. Was really sad to see.

What polls are credibly showing that support for impeachment is going down?  That would be shocking to me -- are they watching this??  This is stunning, compelling stuff with the evidence all on one side. The Dems largely look competent and professional, and the R's are a disgraceful, embarrassing clown show. So what gives?  

Memes, twitterbots, Fox News, rush Limbaugh and a buttload of low IQ Americans.

Not sure I am a Republican anymore.  Not this version of it anyway.

I have some beliefs that align with traditional republican policy positions and moral standards. There’s just one tiny problem. The Republican Party doesn’t actually act according to its policy positions or moral standards. So....eff em until they change.
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

Since there’s discussion of support for impeachment dropping, here’s 538’s calculation of impeachment support based on aggregating polls.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Thanks. So slight downtick but it doesn't account for the last week, including Sondland. The facts are damning and show a clear abuse of power. If this is not impeachable, then nothing is. They can manipulate 50% of the population to allow him to get away with anything. Trump won't be around forever--he's proably more likely than not to be voted out in 2020----- but whoever comes next will have the same playbook possibly without the baggage. The combination of Fox News, social media and decline of traditional media means objective, collectively accepted truth is no longer possible. These are very scary times. Everyone should be terrified. 

Edited by horncyclist
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Thanks. So slight uptick down but it doesn't account for the last week, including Sondland. The facts are damning and show a clear abuse of power. If this is not impeachable, then nothing is. They can manipulate 50% of the population to allow him to get away with anything. Trump won't be around forever--he's proably more likely than not to be voted out in 2020----- but whoever comes next will have the same playbook possibly without the baggage. The combination of Fox News, social media and decline and traditional media means objective, collectively accepted truth is no longer possible. These are very scary times. Everyone should be terrified. 

This is just one poll, but it’s worth tracking elsewhere to see if independents are moving as much as here. 

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/november-national-poll-support-for-impeachment-declines-biden-and-sanders-lead-democratic-primary

Emerson poll on impeachment - among independents: 
49% oppose, 34% support 
Same poll last month had 48% support, 39% oppose

9 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Bad but not crime. Didn't go through with it. He didn't have corrupt intent. Republicans will run with those three lines...ramp up the propaganda machine and he's acquitted. Democracy does indeed die in darkness. And these are dark times. 

Democracy is not dying - the House winning in 2018 and the Dem pickups this year shoulda told ya that.

If it was dying, this thread would not exist.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Democracy is not dying - the House winning in 2018 and the Dem pickups this year shoulda told ya that.

If it was dying, this thread would not exist.

After Trump is acquitted, we have a president above the law. That's dead to me. Maybe it comes back to life but I'm not hopeful with Joe Biden or Pete Buttigieg leading the charge. 

• Like 1

Sorry you don’t get to be a republican and a non-traitor/trumpster.

It wasn’t long ago that I would’ve disagreed with this position. But it’s no longer a tenable position. The Republican Party no longer exists outside of Trumpism. You can say you stand for “traditional Republican policies” but there’s no such thing as an anti-Trump Republican anymore
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

It wasn’t long ago that I would’ve disagreed with this position. But it’s no longer a tenable position. The Republican Party no longer exists outside of Trumpism. You can say you stand for “traditional Republican policies” but there’s no such thing as an anti-Trump Republican anymore

Can't it be like "Jews for Jesus"?

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I have some beliefs that align with traditional republican policy positions and moral standards. There’s just one tiny problem. The Republican Party doesn’t actually act according to its policy positions or moral standards. So....eff em until they change.

The Republican party has no policy positions or moral standards...other than if it benefits Donald Trump, then it is a position and a moral standard which has to be backed up.

The only consistent Republican policy I have seen in my 40 years of following politics and policy is that the very wealthy are are not nearly wealthy enough.  Not abortion, not fiscal responsibility, not even real entrepreneurial business.

39 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Doesn't matter what the polls say...this will be a party line vote and Trump will be acquitted...unless they do a blind vote.  

Blind vote cuts both ways - GOP Senate can vote to acquit and not face repercussions due to both anonymity to the electorate and avoiding retaliation from Dotard for trying to bounce him.

Edited by triplehorn

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Don’t understand the logic of a blind vote.  Seems like a way for republicans to acquit without consequences. 

Rumor is that many pubs would vote to impeach if they didn't have to do it publicly.  Basically they'd be able to hide behind plausible deniability for reelection.

And there's no downside because if he were acquitted everyone would know it was the gop who voted to acquit 

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Can't it be like "Jews for Jesus"?

Back in the day, those guys were big on the UT campus.  At the time this blond haired blue eyed gentile(me) lucked into the only writing component class I could find which happened to be Antisemitism in History and Literature.  Man, my professor ripped those guys a new one at just about every lecture.  I will say this about the class: It was an eye opening experience and I learned  a lot, including how to be a much better writer. But no matter how much my writing improved there is no substitute for actually having been oppressed or at least felt like you were being oppressed.  I knew a lot of the Jewish students in that class from business school and those guys really brought it in that class even if they were mediocre business school students and otherwise poor writers.

As an aside, I discovered in that class (mostly because I had no preconceived notions at the time) That there is no Jewish "look" as found in most of the antisemitic literature or stereotypes. However, every single male in that class, other than me, was a spiting image of a young Henry Kissinger right down to the glasses and the professor, who was Jewish, had flaming red hair and could have easily passed for a drunken brawling Irishman form the late 1800's.  The chicks were all over the place.  My mind was blown.

Even though I ended with a C in the class, I would rate it in my top 5 a t UT. Made me really think about what I was missing out on with all those accounting and statistics classes.

CSB:  The professor in that class, I later found out, had many literary collaborations with Terry Todd, the world renowned strength coach, by whom I was also instructed at the 40 acres. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Rumor is that many pubs would vote to impeach if they didn't have to do it publicly.  Basically they'd be able to hide behind plausible deniability for reelection.

And there's no downside because if he were acquitted everyone would know it was the gop who voted to acquit 

Fuck them.  I want their names in the history books co-signed for eternity to Trump’s crimes.  

The blind vote isn’t going to change how they vote.  They’re lying as usual. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 7