impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

No way trump shows up for a debate

Depends on the opponent.  

If Biden, you bet your ass Trump is showing up. 

If Warren or Bernie, outlook not so good. 

If I were the democratic nominee, I’d immediately refuse to debate Trump.  Then I’d allow Trump to call me chicken and bully me into a debate he couldn’t back out of. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Depends on the opponent.  

If I were the democratic nominee, I’d immediately refuse to debate Trump.  Then I’d allow Trump to call me chicken and bully me into a debate he couldn’t back out of. 

Ha

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Depends on the opponent.  

actually a good strategy. It's not too difficult to manipulate Trump. The easiest method is to praise him and/or stay at his properties but I don't think the Dem nominee can take that route.

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Depends on the opponent.  

giphy.gif

so, we're just not gonna talk about the impeachment report? here is the executive summary:

The impeachment inquiry into Donald J. Trump, the 45th President of the United States,
uncovered a months-long effort by President Trump to use the powers of his office to solicit
foreign interference on his behalf in the 2020 election. As described in this executive summary
and the report that follows, President Trump’s scheme subverted U.S. foreign policy toward
Ukraine and undermined our national security in favor of two politically motivated investigations
that would help his presidential reelection campaign. The President demanded that the newlyelected Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, publicly announce investigations into a
political rival that he apparently feared the most, former Vice President Joe Biden, and into a
discredited theory that it was Ukraine, not Russia, that interfered in the 2016 presidential
election. To compel the Ukrainian President to do his political bidding, President Trump
conditioned two official acts on the public announcement of the investigations: a coveted White
House visit and critical U.S. military assistance Ukraine needed to fight its Russian adversary.

During a July 25, 2019, call between President Trump and President Zelensky, President
Zelensky expressed gratitude for U.S. military assistance. President Trump immediately
responded by asking President Zelensky to “do us a favor though” and openly pressed for
Ukraine to investigate former Vice President Biden and the 2016 conspiracy theory. In turn,
President Zelensky assured President Trump that he would pursue the investigation and
reiterated his interest in the White House meeting. Although President Trump’s scheme
intentionally bypassed many career personnel, it was undertaken with the knowledge and
approval of senior Administration officials, including the President’s Acting Chief of Staff Mick
Mulvaney, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and Secretary of Energy Rick Perry. In fact, at a
press conference weeks after public revelations about the scheme, Mr. Mulvaney publicly
acknowledged that the President directly tied the hold on military aid to his desire to get Ukraine
to conduct a political investigation, telling Americans to “get over it.”

President Trump and his senior officials may see nothing wrong with using the power of
the Office of the President to pressure a foreign country to help the President’s reelection
campaign. Indeed, President Trump continues to encourage Ukraine and other foreign countries
to engage in the same kind of election interference today. However, the Founding Fathers
prescribed a remedy for a chief executive who places his personal interests above those of the
country: impeachment. Accordingly, as part of the House of Representatives’ impeachment
inquiry, the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, in coordination with the Committees
on Oversight and Reform and Foreign Affairs, were compelled to undertake a serious, sober, and
expeditious investigation into whether the President’s misconduct warrants that remedy.

In response, President Trump engaged in an unprecedented campaign of obstruction of
this impeachment inquiry. Nevertheless, due in large measure to patriotic and courageous public
servants who provided the Committees with direct evidence of the President’s actions, the
Committees uncovered significant misconduct on the part of the President of the United States.
As required under House Resolution 660, the Intelligence Committee, in consultation with the
Committees on Oversight and Reform and Foreign Affairs, has prepared this report to detail the
evidence uncovered to date, which will now be transmitted to the Judiciary Committee for its
consideration.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/politics/trump-impeachment-report-doc/index.html

• Like 3

Even Schiff goes easy on him:

"The impeachment inquiry into Donald J. Trump, the 45th President of the United States, uncovered a months-long effort by President Trump to use the powers of his office to solicit foreign interference on his behalf in the 2020 election. As described in this executive summary and the report that follows, President Trump’s scheme subverted U.S. foreign policy toward Ukraine and undermined our national security in favor of two politically motivated investigations that would help his presidential reelection campaign. The President demanded that the newly elected Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelensky, publicly announce investigations into a political rival that he apparently feared the most, former Vice President Joe Biden, and into a discredited theory that it was Ukraine, not Russia, that interfered in the 2016 presidential election. To compel the Ukrainian President to do his political bidding, President Trump conditioned two official acts on the public announcement of the investigations: a coveted White House visit and critical U.S. military assistance Ukraine needed to fight its Russian adversary."

There's no reason not to write this as "...a months-long effort by President Trump to illegally misappropriate funds appropriated by Congress to extort a foreign country into illegally interfering on his behalf in the 2020 election." 

• Like 2

jake tapper just interviewed jim sensenbrenner, and basically said, "so you're ok with the precedent this sets?  if in a couple of years, a 'president warren' decides to ask china to investigate jared kushner, this is something you're ok with?"

it would almost be worth it to let trump slide on all this if i had confirmation the proposed hypothetical investigation would actually happen.

fingers fucking crossed.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The difference is they know the Dems don't have the balls to do it.  Of course, the Dems aren't traitors either.  The Rs have fully accepted that they do not govern in good faith and are willing to destroy the rules and the system in order to keep power.  That's it.

That's the punch line, isn't it?  Nobody should take the GOP seriously as a political party.  I'm not sure anyone really does anymore, anyway.  It's now a naked and overt criminal enterprise, nothing more and nothing less.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The difference is they know the Dems don't have the balls to do it.  Of course, the Dems aren't traitors either.  The Rs have fully accepted that they do not govern in good faith and are willing to destroy the rules and the system in order to keep power.  That's it.

And they'll keep doing it as long as they keep winning elections.

On 12/2/2019 at 2:32 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I don't get it either except for the speculation of getting it over with before primary campaigning ramps up and Dems gotta get out to campaign? Stupid though. No one will even have this shit on their minds come next November if it's over this year, and we need the court's rejecting absolute immunity to play out with the Mf'ers at the top being forced to testify.

Some of the Dems campaigning would use the hearings as a platform for themselves - that's free publicity and millions of eyeballs in a forum where they are literally putting Trump on trial.

21 hours ago, David Dennison said:

They know their end game. They are going to impeach him before the end of the year. What happens after that is up to Republicans in the Senate.

I wonder if they plan on more articles of impeachment beyond what we've already heard about/seen - there's still a lot of stuff winding through the courts, and they could be clearing the plate of the Ukrainian stuff for that.

21 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Speaking of the campaign, does anyone think he’s actually going to debate?  I don’t. He’ll come up with excuses or just flat refuse. 

On the one hand, he really does think he's the smartest, sharpest guy in the room.  He thinks he can win any debate.

On the other hand, the last few times he's been in front of a crowd that wasn't 100% Trumpkins, he got booed and he hated it, to the extent he kept searching until he found a Trump-friendly crowd at the Alabama game.  

Plus, he runs the risk of getting asked some really hard questions that he doesn't want to answer.  This is also a guy who is too much of a coward to fire people to their faces.

He HAD to debate Hillary, or run the risk of looking like a coward in front of his fans, plus he was the underdog.

Now he is President and his fans will do anything he asks.

I'm betting he skips the debates.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

On the one hand, he really does think he's the smartest, sharpest guy in the room.  He thinks he can win any debate.

On the other hand, the last few times he's been in front of a crowd that wasn't 100% Trumpkins, he got booed and he hated it, to the extent he kept searching until he found a Trump-friendly crowd at the Alabama game.  

Plus, he runs the risk of getting asked some really hard questions that he doesn't want to answer.  This is also a guy who is too much of a coward to fire people to their faces.

He HAD to debate Hillary, or run the risk of looking like a coward in front of his fans, plus he was the underdog.

Now he is President and his fans will do anything he asks.

I'm betting he skips the debates.

Plus he benefited from Sarah Palin before him, everyone knew he didn’t know anything and had no concept or grasp of the complexities of the office he was running for. The bar was really, really low for him. He just had to be his charming self. No problem - he’ll learn on the job. 

6 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Plus he benefited from Sarah Palin before him, everyone knew he didn’t know anything and had no concept or grasp of the complexities of the office he was running for. The bar was really, really low for him. He just had to be his charming self. No problem - he’ll learn on the job. 

Right and now he's definitively proven he is incapable and unwilling to learn on the job and is just an inept dingus that treats the entire job as some kind of a dodge, or hussie.  He is a poor President, Dr. Venkman.

57 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

10 years ago, if you said stuff like this, i would've asked, "is this even possible?"

now...i would be shocked if it didn't happen.

Look at various Texas election in years past - last year, some of the Republicans running for state offices skipped them. Rick Perry skipped them multiple times as Governor, even to the point of completely skipping debating in the general election in 2010.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wonder if they plan on more articles of impeachment beyond what we've already heard about/seen - there's still a lot of stuff winding through the courts, and they could be clearing the plate of the Ukrainian stuff for that.

I don’t think it’s going to stop. With so much coming to a head in the courts representing further increments in severity of evidence and testimony, I don’t even foresee a lull.  

The hardest thing about lying and bullshitting is being forced to publicly sustain it for a prolonged period of time, especially when all you can do is deny obvious reality.  The longer R’s go without getting a breather, the harder it will be for them to remain convincing to anyone.

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Right and now he's definitively proven he is incapable and unwilling to learn on the job and is just an inept dingus that treats the entire job as some kind of a dodge, or hussie.  He is a poor President, Dr. Venkman.

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

hustle?

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

dammit

Whether hussie [sic] or hustle, it's shameless.

@triplehorn it's ongoing and incessant nature makes it difficult to maintain my focus w/o getting upset. The dollar amounts of both the fraud and the expense to pursue the fraud must be reaching staggering proportions. Thinking of all the righteous and positive things that money could have gone towards is disheartening.

I’ve tuned out because Trump has proven long past that he is a criminal, unfit for the Presidency and the likely instrument of America’s self-destruction.  My knowledge of this needs no further confirmation.

The people that are in denial of the above — the 35% of Americans comprising Trump’s base that would rather see the Republic burn than fulfill its promise of equality for all — are unmoved with nothing more to be added through House impeachment.  They are also the 35% of voters who elect 70% of the senate.  So you can bet that Trump will escape impeachment with at most a censure from the senate.

This whole thread is masturbatory fan fiction for anti-Trumpists, I.e. decent folks of morals and principal with more free time than the average American to tune in, be informed and feel justly outraged.  There will be no “We got him!” coming out of this.  Only clips and sound bites that will be used by both sides in the 2020 campaign to little effect.

Edited by Goredho

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I’ve tuned out because Trump has proven long past that he is a criminal, unfit for the Presidency and the likely instrument of America’s self-destruction.  My knowledge of this needs no further confirmation.

The people that are in denial of the above — the 35% of Americans comprising Trump’s base that would rather see the Republic burn than fulfill its promise of equality for all — are unmoved with nothing more to be added through House impeachment.  They are also the 35% of voters who elect 70% of the senate.  So you can bet that Trump will escape impeachment with at most a censure from the senate.

This whole thread is masturbatory fan fiction for anti-Trumpists, I.e. decent folks of morals and principal with more free time than the average American to tune in, be informed and feel justly outraged.  There will be no “We got him!” coming out of this.  Only clips and sound bites that will be used by both sides in the 2020 campaign to little effect.

debbie-downer-01.jpg?quality=90&strip=al