impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

26 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

The talking points are getting skewed by their own inabilities to process those talking points against what they know deep down to be right. I like it. Their brains are fracturing.

ElatedAnyEeve-size_restricted.gif

Does Not compute!  Does not compute!

Millions of Trumpkins  right now.  Kinda of like when trump talks about defending Isreal and jews against the dems.

From CNN's live coverage page:

Several Democrats made clear they believe they have more than enough evidence to move ahead with impeachment.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi said today that Democrats would not fight in court to get acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney, former national security adviser John Bolton and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo — key administration figures implicated in public testimony so far — to testify. But some members of Congress think that the investigation has already gathered enough evidence without those witnesses.

Both Reps. Peter Welch and Jackie Speier said the case is overwhelming even without those firsthand witnesses and documents.

"I think we have been hampered in our ability because the White House, the State Department, the Department of Defense have all withheld documents from us, but even with our hands tied behind our backs, we've been able to present the American people a compelling argument for moving forward with a review of whether or not we should have articles of impeachment bought to the floor of the House," Speier said.

She continued: "The President helped us out immeasurably by releasing the summary of his telephone call" with Ukraine.

She said that the conversation "establishes the elements of bribery, where someone in office requests from someone else something of value, the investigation, and then withholds the White House meeting and the military aid. "

I think that is a mistake.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agree.  It lets the dotard and Rs continue with their insanity about no firsthand witnesses.  Make the courts say yes or no.

Yes.  If they don't force the courts to make a ruling on this we will just be here again in the near future.   If the court don't rule on this and establish that congress does have investigative powers under impeachment, the next smarter narcissistic president is going to push right on through and probably succeed next time

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dear President Trump,

It's over.  Please resign today.

Regards,

US Senate & House Republicans

Yeah, that was actually something some talking head was saying after the Sondland testimony- whether a group of Senators would go visit the White House like they did in the Nixon case, and that would be something to look for.  Pretty much the entire panel agreed it was unlikely.  

If it was something like that, my guess is they are negotiating for a different game plan, like accepting that it was improper, but not to the level of removal, and then move towards censure instead of removal.  I can't imagine they would even approach Trump about stepping down.  I can't imagine Romney would be involved in a PR defense strategy meeting.  And I think Grassley is pissed about trying to out the whistleblower.  With those two there, it seems more like a negotiation than a planning meeting. 

5 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

From CNN's live coverage page:

I think that is a mistake.

Going back to your post, do you believe that Pelosi is of the belief that the courts will  not ever allow access? Is she listening to the polls? What do you think her rationale is? If she asked me, a citizen, I would say keep going, get to the bottom of it. I know they have enough in terms of guilty of a crime, but I want the corruption exposed and there are more committees still at work, correct? To me, this is about more than the election, this is about the GOP covering some heinous acts and with which some of them are still involved and are ongoing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

Yes.  If they don't force the courts to make a ruling on this we will just be here again in the near future.   If the court don't rule on this and establish that congress does have investigative powers under impeachment, the next smarter narcissistic president is going to push right on through and probably succeed next time

Well, there's a pending court ruling that's due on Monday the 25th regarding the pending McGahn congressional subpoena that is going to be used as precedent for the veracity of executive privilege claims in this impeachment inquiry.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Agree.  It lets the dotard and Rs continue with their insanity about no firsthand witnesses.  Make the courts say yes or no.

Tacking on to my speculation about a censure vote, I could see where the Dems made a deal with Republicans.  End the hearings, get to the Senate, censure Trump, move on.  I could Pelosi cashing in the chips, particularly if it includes a decent percentage of the Republicans agreeing that Trump is full of shit.  

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Going back to your post, do you believe that Pelosi is of the belief that the courts will  not ever allow access? Is she listening to the polls? What do you think her rationale is? If she asked me, a citizen, I would say keep going, get to the bottom of it. I know they have enough in terms of guilty of a crime, but I want the corruption exposed and there are more committees still at work, correct? To me, this is about more than the election, this is about the GOP covering some heinous acts and with which some of them are still involved and are ongoing.

I have absolutely no clue. It could be a range of things from her thinking that they've done enough (mistake. Keep the boot on the throat) to not wanting that precedent out there for when the Ds are in power (mistake, but has been a motive for both parties throughout history). All I know is that with this political climate, you need to kill flies with sledgehammers.

Edited by Eastwood
Boat on the throat? I'm an idiot.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

Tacking on to my speculation about a censure vote, I could see where the Dems made a deal with Republicans.  End the hearings, get to the Senate, censure Trump, move on.  I could Pelosi cashing in the chips, particularly if it includes a decent percentage of the Republicans agreeing that Trump is full of shit.  

That oughta do it, thanks very much Ray.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

That is an astute take. I don't like it if they did that, but with Eastwood's followup, I could envision that. Crap.

Just now, Eastwood said:

I have absolutely no clue. It could be a range of things from her thinking that they've done enough (mistake. Keep the boat on the throat) to not wanting that precedent out there for when the Ds are in power (mistake, but has been a motive for both parties throughout history). All I know is that with this political climate, you need to kill flies with sledgehammers.

10 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Yeah, that was actually something some talking head was saying after the Sondland testimony- whether a group of Senators would go visit the White House like they did in the Nixon case, and that would be something to look for.  Pretty much the entire panel agreed it was unlikely.  

If it was something like that, my guess is they are negotiating for a different game plan, like accepting that it was improper, but not to the level of removal, and then move towards censure instead of removal.  I can't imagine they would even approach Trump about stepping down.  I can't imagine Romney would be involved in a PR defense strategy meeting.  And I think Grassley is pissed about trying to out the whistleblower.  With those two there, it seems more like a negotiation than a planning meeting. 

Fuck this. What the fuck good is a censure, anyway? That would literally be letting him get away with treason and all manner of abuse of power, and encouraging more. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Crap, I had the sound down because apparently I needed to do some actual work.  What happened?

I just finished up an interview and tuned back in. Last caller: "I want to apologize for all these morons who have been calling in. And just one last thing....impeach this motherfucker."

03:42:33 in the CSPAN feed.  Apparently it wont let me clip it. 

ETA: Got it

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4832539/user-clip-impeach

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Keeping it on the CNN page live feed:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that while "The action is all over in the House. We'll be ready if it comes over here."

He was referring to a potential impeachment trial in the Senate following the investigation in the House.  

He did not answer whether or not he’d been watching the hearings or if he had spoken to President Trump.

Looks like the Ds really are going to move it forward.

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

As of today, the rolling average on RCP is +4.4 for all (R,D,I).  And most of that average predates this last of hearings, obviously.  It does show a narrowing of support, but a lot of times that is reflective of a wild point timing out.  For example, there was a IBD/TIPP poll that was at +22 points from late October.  That poll has timed out of the rolling average, and the source does not have a new one up.  When you narrow the field to just indies (which the tweet didn't actually do) the data points are all over the place.  There is a plus 18 and a negative 7 in the same rolling average set. 

And really, polling shouldn't affect the Democrat's actions at this point.  The die is cast. 

Polling never should have affected the D's actions. You do what's right. Impeachment hearings were the right thing to do.

• Like 1