impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think it was a reflection of the fact that she isn’t steeped in the issues.  For someone like that, there was a decided lack of clarity. 

i wonder if it isn't possible that the democrats lack of killer instinct is what bothered her. honestly, i thought yesterday went about as badly as it could have for donald, except one thing: the democrats seemed unable to put down the republicans. i think that lack of killer instinct is a crucial missing element. about the only time a democrat showed some sack was when welch joked about trump coming to testify. 

the problem really is that he democrats play nice. while i would prefer that they do things on the up and up, i still would prefer that they call out their colleagues on the other side of the aisle for the disingenuous nature with which they treat the proceedings. the signs alone were worthy of derision. add in the grandstanding and lying...i can see why someone might walk away feeling the democrats got the losing end there.

but from my perspective, i feel like the ambassador and kent told a straight story that damned the president. stick to the facts and not the rhetoric, and the administration took some body blows yesterday. if you focus on the republicans wild haymakers, then you might feel like their showmanship won the day, i reckon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wouldn't that lead her to be critical of both the Democrats *and* the Republicans?  

I'm not saying you didn't see what you saw, but if I try to be as objective as I can, it sure seemed to me that one side was trying to do nothing but deflect, and that wasn't the Democrats.

Lack of clarity very much helps R here.  I said yesterday you need someone with non-partisan bona fides to say "What happened was wrong.  Trump tried to rig the upcoming election.  And he did it by putting Ukrainian lives in danger."  Something like that.  Crystal clear.  Not "irregular."  Not "worrying."  Not caveated with a bunch of "well, that's what I believe happened."  Taylor was in a great position to do that but he wanted to try to avoid being seen on one side.

3 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I happened to catch the late news on DFW NBC 5 last night.  They had the absolute worst coverage of yesterday.  A clip of Ratcliffe badgering Taylor, and then a clip of about 5 seconds of Julian Castro in the middle of a "question." 

Absolutely no substance.

This is my concern dude.  Local media cannot be trusted to lay it out for the uninformed.  

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i wonder if it isn't possible that the democrats lack of killer instinct is what bothered her. honestly, i thought yesterday went about as badly as it could have for donald, except one thing: the democrats seemed unable to put down the republicans. i think that lack of killer instinct is a crucial missing element. about the only time a democrat showed some sack was when welch joked about trump coming to testify. 

the problem really is that he democrats play nice. while i would prefer that they do things on the up and up, i still would prefer that they call out their colleagues on the other side of the aisle for the disingenuous nature with which they treat the proceedings. the signs alone were worthy of derision. add in the grandstanding and lying...i can see why someone might walk away feeling the democrats got the losing end there.

but from my perspective, i feel like the ambassador and kent told a straight story that damned the president. stick to the facts and not the rhetoric, and the administration took some body blows yesterday. if you focus on the republicans wild haymakers, then you might feel like their showmanship won the day, i reckon.

good use of "i reckon"

21 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think it was a reflection of the fact that she isn’t steeped in the issues.  For someone like that, there was a decided lack of clarity. 

I would think just watching the opening statements of either witness or the closing of Schiff would do it. I would completely expect someone who just turned it on in the middle to not find any clarity. 

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I would think just watching the opening statements of either witness or the closing of Schiff would do it. I would completely expect someone who just turned it on in the middle to not find any clarity. 

yeah, that was definitely an issue.  she turned in on when Ratliff was doing Qs, and then saw highlights on trevor noah's show.  neither of those did any favors.

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

yeah, that was definitely an issue.  she turned in on when Ratliff was doing Qs, and then saw highlights on trevor noah's show.  neither of those did any favors.

this also highlights the massive difference between someone like jon stewart doing coverage on this. he had no problems mixing it up. trevor noah is smelling his own farts. by that, i mean, he's trying to appeal to an audience of people who are already fans. he's speaking in code, as it were. stewart would just lay it out there for god and everyone.

this is part of the problem with left-leaning coverage. too much navel gazing, not enough cold analysis.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is my concern dude.  Local media cannot be trusted to lay it out for the uninformed.  

Lay it out for the simpleton for me, I think it's a nothing burger because this dude is the leader of the hearing:

Schiff-1200x630.jpg

Remember significant evidence of Russian Collusion?

Then there was this botched questioning

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

John Oliver will probably do a good job on Sunday.  Have her watch that.

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this also highlights the massive difference between someone like jon stewart doing coverage on this. he had no problems mixing it up. trevor noah is smelling his own farts. by that, i mean, he's trying to appeal to an audience of people who are already fans. he's speaking in code, as it were. stewart would just lay it out there for god and everyone.

this is part of the problem with left-leaning coverage. too much navel gazing, not enough cold analysis.

lulz you guys are seriously talking about comedy central not providing enough analysis?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Noah Trevor was particularly bad.  He spent a lot of time on how people looked rather than the absurdity of some of the questions  I think he showed Castro's questioning, which was lousy.  

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Lay it out for the simpleton for me, I think it's a nothing burger because this dude is the leader of the hearing:

Schiff-1200x630.jpg

Remember significant evidence of Russian Collusion?

Then there was this botched questioning

or

or

OR

ORRRR

you could look at the actual evidence -- the hours and hours of testimony we already have -- and realize that Schiff's interpretation of it isn't all that important.

27 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I happened to catch the late news on DFW NBC 5 last night.  They had the absolute worst coverage of yesterday.  A clip of Ratcliffe badgering Taylor, and then a clip of about 5 seconds of Julian Castro in the middle of a "question." 

Absolutely no substance.

They're about as bad as FOX.  Truly terrible news coverage.  It has been this way for a very long time.

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

or

or

OR

ORRRR

you could look at the actual evidence -- the hours and hours of testimony we already have -- and realize that Schiff's interpretation of it isn't all that important.

The testimony? Why not just go strait to the source of the alleged crimes - the transcript. 

The testimony contains assumptions and guesses at Trump's motivations. More mind reading than facts. The facts are contained in the timeline and the transcript. Pretty simple.

Anyone can testify and lawyer-speak their way into twisting the truth. I really don't trust the CIA to tell any truth, especially when they are discussing the motivations of their political enemies. 

400VaKnWEAAnAMp2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They're about as bad as FOX.  Truly terrible news coverage.  It has been this way for a very long time.

would you say the local news networks need to remind people that "fake news" is extremely dangerous to our democracy?

6 minutes ago, Zavala said:

The testimony? Why not just go strait to the source of the alleged crimes - the transcript

The testimony contains assumptions and guesses at Trump's motivations. More mind reading than facts. The facts are contained in the timeline and the transcript. Pretty simple.

Anyone can testify and lawyer-speak their way into twisting the truth. I really don't trust the CIA to tell any truth, especially when they are discussing the motivations of their political enemies. 

400VaKnWEAAnAMp2.jpg

When you get a copy of the transcript can you post it here?  I'm still waiting to read the actual transcript.  kthnxbai

• Like 1

When you get a copy of the transcript can you post it here?  I'm still waiting to read the actual transcript.  kthnxbai

I think he may be referring to the edited inaccurate partial summary they released. After some lines they didn’t like had been removed. Is this what you’re referring to Zavala, the edited inaccurate partial summary?

The (modified) transcript shows that Trump was directing a President of the Ukraine to work with his personal attorney. 

Taylor's and Kent's testimonies partially depict what his personal attorney was pushing and how it ran counter to official US policy.  The testimonies also show how Trump's personal attorney was acting outside of any normal or established diplomatic structures.  It also showed that his personal attorney was working with Lev and Igor to this end. 

The investigation of Lev and Igor are showing how Trump's personal attorney was also working for a Russian oligarch (Firtash) connected to Putin and organized crime.  It also shows how Firtash was illegally contributing to Trump's superpac via the Igor and Lev. 

The call transcript is helpful, as it places Trump in the middle of all of this.  But obviously it was never limited to that call. 

• Like 5

Attacking the messenger and not the message, one of the tried and true last resorts of idiots everywhere. Ya'll should stop responding to Zavala. The guy is a surly incarnation of your trailer park uncle that does nothing but post Trump memes and fake news on Facebook. He's not interested in any sort of serious conversation. You'll never pin him down. Every response will be a meme or a one-line copout that Hannity taught him. And as soon as you corner him with logic, he's just going to move on to something else. He's a dunce.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

zavala posting the sinclair zombie clip?  this is   .    .   .   surprising.

ok?

The news people are fucking lazy man. It's easier to get eyeballs and to feed the TDS people some impeachment coverage than to report on real things. They are literal mockingbirds, they just read the script they are given, not much real journalism is being done anymore. Its more profitable to get the orange man bad people fired up about "this next tweet Trump sent is going to be the end of his presidency!" than it is to report on actual events. 

There's riots in Chile right now. China and Russia are getting cozy. All this shit is boring to the average joe NPC with a 5 second attention span. 

Trump is successful because he grabs attention. People hate him. He's playing the heel. People love him, they think he's "not a politician". 

Oh, and in case you are getting any radical ideas, they are for sure going to impeach Trump, throw out Pence, and install Nancy who will put Hillary in there. It was her turn. Also, if you are getting fed up with the government, don't worry, the patriots are on your side - TRUST THE PLAN -Q. 

Basically, every person who pays attention to political shit is located on the spectrum, then fed their specific brand of NEWS (tm) to satisfy their interest. 

its-all-so-tiresome-8881488.png

• Fuck You 1

Quality of R positions, ranked.

1) No harm, no foul.  Marginal harm in delay does not justify extraordinary relief of impeachment.

2) This was Rudy and the others out doing this, Trump is a periphery character.

3) Was not extortion.

4) Justifiable investigation into corruption.

5) Getting hit by a bus.

6) Whatever Jordan and Ratliff were trying to do yesterday.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think he may be referring to the edited inaccurate partial summary they released. After some lines they didn’t like had been removed. Is this what you’re referring to Zavala, the edited inaccurate partial summary?

lulz yeah they secritly took out all the damning information! It's a vast right-wing conspiracy!

clinton_tinfoil_hat.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uyWKAGgHIqDEORgjOyo0uq7JOXzhxOQf/preview

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

Keep in mind that tomorrow the aide to Bill Taylor who overheard the Trump call to Sondland while in Kiev will testify behind closed doors to Congress.  And Sondland is slated to appear for public testimony next week headed by staff counsel.  While Goldman is more than competent, Sondland's misdirection and equivocation sounds like a job for Barry Berke to take the lead.  

Now with House members Ciciilline and Speier sending out these signals today, the public testimony pucker factor just increased for the hotelier/ambassador 

• Like 1